150K budget

Hi everyone , I am looking for some ideas and opinions . What Porsche would you buy second hand , with a budget of up to 150K.? I am thinking maybe 2015/16 Cayman GT4 , mainly for the handling, and it probably has plenty of stink for me. On the other hand I have to say , I have not  driven too many different models , to compare. Grateful for any insights.

49 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

996 GT3 or turbo (6MT).

how does a 996 GT3 compare to Cayman GT4 in terms of handling ,speed and feel on the road/

38 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Man or Auto? Mentioning GT4 I'm assuming man? What's the general purpose Arne?

MANUALLLLLLLLLL. Purpose? Scare myself , track , but mainly Hill climb , love tight corners , changing from fast straights into winding bit s , etc.

gt4 is, imo, a little more friendly.  On track gt4 seems to be a little happier to wiggle around without any feeling of drama or spitting you off compared with a gt3.  That's based on handfuls of laps rather than long term ownership so take it with a grain of salt.   Times on a hillclimb or track will likely come down to driver so it will be a case of deciding between slightly older & more dramatic or slightly newer & better balanced.

The 996 Gt3 is a great drivers car that feels like race car, there is no sound insulation & stiffly sprung..........its a raw experience.

I can guarantee you It's a awesome ride that will really get under your skin like very few other cars and IMO a good place to park you money. 

I'd go the 996GT3, but Im biased.

I haven't driven a GT4, but I would imagine it to be a much nicer road car.

When the restrictions ease I'm happy to take you for drive Arnie.

10 minutes ago, PIC said:

The 996 Gt3 is a great drivers car that feels like race car, there is no sound insulation & stiffly sprung..........its a raw experience.

I can guarantee you It's a awesome ride that will really get under your skin like very few other cars and IMO a good place to park you money. 

I'd go the 996GT3, but Im biased.

I haven't driven a GT4, but I would imagine it to be a much nicer road car.

When the restrictions ease I'm happy to take you for drive Arnie.

that would be awesome.

i test drove 997 GT3 and 981 GT4 back to back, they were similar dollars at the time.  While I had my heart set on a GT3, I ended up buying the GT4 because I LOVED it.  incredible car and becoming increasingly great value.  But a GT3 is the pinnacle and will hold value much better.  996s are now GT4 money and all indications re they are a solid investment whereas a GT4 will continue to fall.  And while the GT4 was awesome, I still hanker for a GT3 one day. All depends on priorities.

Great question and very interesting topic. 

996 GT3 offers a very rewarding drive, you need to work to get everything out of them (just like an early 911). They are 20 yo cars now though, civilised and adequate enough (especially compared to an AC 911) but they offer a very raw/basic driving package - that’s part of the charm. 

The GT4 on the other hand is far more refined in pretty much every way, still a great drive, but how it’s delivered and the experience is more sophisticated. It’s a newer and more user friendly package. 

You cant go wrong with either, would be well worth getting some seat time in either. 

2 hours ago, Jason A said:

@Arne Krix an important question, what experience do you have behind the wheel. GT4 has driver aids, 996 GT3 & TT in an analogue car.

What do you want to get from the car. 

love pushing to the limit and very happy in my current Cayman. Love the idea of enhancing the experience . Very agile car , out corners and out breaks cars with many more HP. At the same time , I am curious how that unfolds with about an additional 100 HP to play with. Can't be bad. Having said that , I have no experience in a 996 GT3 on that level. We did belt my 911 in 1980 ( back in Germany ) , but my hazy memory about this car is drifting sideways through roundabouts , and being a hoon.

5 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

MANUALLLLLLLLLL. Purpose? Scare myself , track , but mainly Hill climb , love tight corners , changing from fast straights into winding bit s , etc.

Hey Arne, were you bitten by the Haunted Hills experience ? The drive there - my preference is the 968 rather than the powerful M140 for the raw experience !

Agree with Hugh and his comments.

Either way you will enjoy.

11 hours ago, 9fan said:

Hey Arne, were you bitten by the Haunted Hills experience ? The drive there - my preference is the 968 rather than the powerful M140 for the raw experience !

Agree with Hugh and his comments.

Either way you will enjoy.

how are you going? Did you finish up selling the Porsche?

• 2 weeks later...