Warranty vs Consignment (997.1 GT3)

Hi guys,
Just interested in thoughts here. I am thinking of relisting my car for sale, but I am also contemplating the consignment route. If I were to sell privately, I can offer up to 2 years factory warranty - but this is not possible for consignment. What is more comfortable from a purchaser's perspective - buying from a reputable dealer (eg Autohaus, CTS) or buying privately with a two year factory warranty?
Regards,
Stuart

I have sold through CTS when the market was ok a few years ago, and would use them again, however I would think a good private listing should net a good result for you! 

In times like this, I really don't think the dealers offer too much in terms of value to you as a seller, why? Well put it this way, anyone who needs to trade in right now is not going to get a favourable offer on their car, so the dealers ability to facilitate trade ins is largely lost, then all they can do is help facilitate finance if needed, which lets face it, anyone can source their own... and likely buyers for cars this old are more than likely cash buyers. 

Perhaps the allure of free coffee in a swanky showroom is still somewhat tempting? 

What makes you sure you can't transfer the warranty?  If it's a Porsche factory warranty then surely it just moves across to the new owner?  

I think CTS is very good at "moving the metal" though sales have slowed right down since COVID.  Also, you have to accept that you're going to pay away 10% of whatever sale price they can get you (which might well be 10% higher than you could get yourself, but no guarantees).

3 hours ago, us72t said:
Hi guys,
Just interested in thoughts here. I am thinking of relisting my car for sale, but I am also contemplating the consignment route. If I were to sell privately, I can offer up to 2 years factory warranty - but this is not possible for consignment. What is more comfortable from a purchaser's perspective - buying from a reputable dealer (eg Autohaus, CTS) or buying privately with a two year factory warranty?
Regards,
Stuart

I personally would go the private with warranty available option (warranty is a big plus item on a Porsche).  Have never used a dealer to sell any of my cars and will not be starting now.

9 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

What makes you sure you can't transfer the warranty?  If it's a Porsche factory warranty then surely it just moves across to the new owner?  

I think CTS is very good at "moving the metal" though sales have slowed right down since COVID.  Also, you have to accept that you're going to pay away 10% of whatever sale price they can get you (which might well be 10% higher than you could get yourself, but no guarantees).

I seem to recall reading in my warranty extension paperwork that it is voided if sold via a non approved Porsche dealer.  Private sale is ok though

The warranty terms say:

*The warranty is not transferable to another party (e.g. a licensed motor vehicle dealer) if that party acquires the vehicle for the purpose of resale.

Can't see how consignment would trigger this clause since the dealer is just providing a broking service and never acquires the vehicle  (I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV).

Edgy / Lucky Phil - thanks for your thoughts. I have used CTS in past , and was very happy with their service, but that was when I was sure they had known buyers for my car (and indeed it sold immediately).. I tend to agree that in this environment, there's little value add. 

Nick - when using CTS (and I'm sure Autohaus and others too), my understanding is that they acquire the car and resell it (once they have the buyer). At least that's what happened in my deal, ie the buyer's contract (which I saw a redacted copy of) was with CTS, not me. Porsche confirmed this morning that warranty is not tranferable if sold by a non Porsche dealer.

3 hours ago, npvpositive said:

The warranty terms say:

*The warranty is not transferable to another party (e.g. a licensed motor vehicle dealer) if that party acquires the vehicle for the purpose of resale.

Can't see how consignment would trigger this clause since the dealer is just providing a broking service and never acquires the vehicle  (I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV).

If the receipt is from the dealer the warranty is null and void and can't be put back on by the new owner.

6 hours ago, us72t said:
Hi guys,
Regards,
Stuart

On this model of car, sell it privately with two years warranty.

2 hours ago, us72t said:

Nick - when using CTS (and I'm sure Autohaus and others too), my understanding is that they acquire the car and resell it (once they have the buyer). At least that's what happened in my deal, ie the buyer's contract (which I saw a redacted copy of) was with CTS, not me. Porsche confirmed this morning that warranty is not tranferable if sold by a non Porsche dealer.

Don't think this is right.  AFAIK, the title of the vehicle doesn't normally pass to the consigner (dealer) in a consignment sale (even at the time of sale).  The dealer (CTS, for example) is just acting as an agent selling the car on behalf of its owner.  In fact, in NSW the dealer is legally required to have a trust account and must pay all money received into this account within 24 hours (because the vehicle, and the money, never belong to the dealer).