1970 heater setup.

Seventy911

Hi everyone! I hope you are all staying healthy!

It's been a good time to take care of some work on my baby and hopefully get her onto club plates once Victorian restrictions are relaxed!!

My 911 came from Southern Cali... apparently it never rains there. Never on any of my visits either.... So; I think the PO never used the heater but I want it all working. I noticed that under the vent grille on the floor in the second row is carpet🤔.... I thought this was meant to be open so cabin air could recirculate through the heater system. (Rookie assumption!) I've been doing some reading and contacted the PO to see if I should be cutting away the carpet under the grille? Any thoughts??

By 'vent grille on the floor', do you mean at the back, on the tunnel, in front of the back seats? If so, that is just the cover to access the shift coupler and other assorted bits in the tunnel. In later cars they removed that grille.

Fushcop, mine is US LHD. I'm not sure if there is still a heater in there. Might just pull that grille and see what's under the carpet. Thanks for chiming in; I had read something similar on one of the US forums. Is that webasto heater the source for front defroster?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/05/2020 at 22:12, Seventy911 said:

Fushcop, mine is US LHD. I'm not sure if there is still a heater in there. Might just pull that grille and see what's under the carpet. Thanks for chiming in; I had read something similar on one of the US forums. Is that webasto heater the source for front defroster?

Can Be a source of fire ... 

It’s unlikely you have a webasto still in the car , Take a pic if you do 

Fushcop is my kiwi alter-ego ;)

I understand that the webasto provided auxiliary heat in addition to heat exchangers.  As Michel suggests, it's unlikely it's still there as most were removed as they were simply superfluous over here (they may also have breached Australian rules to re-register here).  Having said that, my 68L did have most of it's US webasto system which I was able to sell back to the US.  Word of caution, those cars fitted with webastos also got an asbestos heat mat in the smugglers box which is often not removed...