Buying a new 911 in the UK

After working for 35 years to be in the position to buy a 911 without debt, I was eagerly waiting on the 911 992 GTS to be launched. In the least few days Porsche Australia has dropped a bombshell, all future 911's will be PDK only. I don't want a PDK Porsche. I will only ever be able to buy 1 brand new Porsche and I want it with a manual transmission. I don't care about lap times or gear change times etc etc etc. I want a manual transmission for my own enjoyment.

Can one buy a new 911 manual from a Porsche dealer in the UK, or direct from the factory and privately import it.

It feels like 35 years of work has been a wast of time I'm sorry to say. Feeling gutted to say the least.

No you can’t. only way you can buy and import a car that is less than 25 years old is to have owned the car in the UK for more than 12 months and have drive it a minimum of 6,000 Kms. But even if you were allowed, the import duty, GST and LCT taxes that would be levied on the car would make it economically unviable.

29 minutes ago, Ozgrade3 said:

After working for 35 years to be in the position to buy a 911 without debt, I was eagerly waiting on the 911 992 GTS to be launched. In the least few days Porsche Australia has dropped a bombshell, all future 911's will be PDK only. I don't want a PDK Porsche. I will only ever be able to buy 1 brand new Porsche and I want it with a manual transmission. I don't care about lap times or gear change times etc etc etc. I want a manual transmission for my own enjoyment.

Can one buy a new 911 manual from a Porsche dealer in the UK, or direct from the factory and privately import it.

It feels like 35 years of work has been a wast of time I'm sorry to say. Feeling gutted to say the least.

@Ozgrade3 I feel so disappointed for you. I am in your camp  :PissedOff:

12 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Read @WGA recent post in 991 GT3 thread about manual vs PDK.  PDK is fantastic.  After 35 years of waiting, get a PDK not the manual, you will not regret it.  Otherwise buy a GT4 or 718 GTS

Yes, if having a manual is an itch you have to scratch, then the GT4 or GTS is a great option. Alternatively you could seek out a used 991.1 or 991.2.

I have exacting requirements for this once in a lifetime purchase. It must be new, in exactly the colour, trim & and spec that I want.....and a manual. I've driven every model and the 911 is the only  one I want, A PDK is boring, I had one in the Uk for 4 days. To me there was nothing to differentiate it from a Camry. For both you just flex your right foot. That's not fun.

Would a manual be classed as a "variant" under the SEVS regulations. As far as I can can see, as it's a variant of a model that is not sold here it seems to qualify.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/sevs/files/SEVS_Eligibility_Criteria.pdf

The Cayman GT4 sounds nice, but gearing is way too long for the street and it's refinement is not what I expect on a 250K car.  Sure, it's ok for a track day but it's 20 years since I have been to a race track let alone driven on one.

Buying one in the UK and garaging it for a year doesn't sound too bad however. 6000 km would be a nice holiday with some Scottish highland roads to explore. As far as import taxes and LCT...I don;t care, you only live once.

FWIW, the new Supra is a nice sporty car, but oh so boring as an auto too. I certainly wouldn't pay 110K for an auto Toyota.

13 hours ago, Ozgrade3 said:

Have you driven the 992? the 3.0l turbo is far more dissapointing than the PDK. Personally I am a total PDK fan/convert

Go with a 991.2 GT3 or a 991.1 GTS if you long for a manual transmission

12 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I don't think it's as easy as just buying it and putting it in a garage ... I think you have to live in the country you're importing from for at least 12 months as well ....

Yes, you need to prove you are living and working in the UK for 12 months, vehicle tax papers, insurance, etc...

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

I figured that one might come up. Pretty much $100k over a similar spec 991.1 GTS Coupe.  Albeit a manual, price needs to reasonable. ie, far less than 991.1 GT3 money.

I almost want to give in to PDK and buy this:

Check out this 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS 991 Auto AWD MY15.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-GTS-991-Auto-AWD-MY15/SSE-AD-5263961

3 hours ago, luzzo said:

I figured that one might come up. Pretty much $100k over a similar spec 991.1 GTS Coupe.  Albeit a manual, price needs to reasonable. ie, far less than 991.1 GT3 money.

I almost want to give in to PDK and buy this:

Check out this 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS 991 Auto AWD MY15.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-GTS-991-Auto-AWD-MY15/SSE-AD-5263961

Great looking car, for me personally the GTS is the pick of the bunch in 3.8 spec

have you driven a PDK? 

this is a great looking car also and comes with warranty that can be extended out until the car is 15 years old

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-911-Carrera-GTS-991-Auto-MY16/SSE-AD-6580120?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6580120

• 1 month later...

I’m obviously not a Porsche forum expert but I can see no reason for Porsche Australia to decline your special order?

If you said no RHD manuals would be produced then ok, in your case it should come down to connecting with the right person. When a dealer of another German brand told me I couldn’t have what I wanted the Australian distributor was more helpful...

good luck