Radio Head Unit for older Porsches

Lucky Phil

In 2020 I don’t know why they didn’t just add CarPlay support and do away with the expense of having its own navigation built in, with inevitably out of date maps and all the rest...

Great to have the option but I think I’ll leave mine alone and keep relying on my Apple Watch for navigation and the exhaust for music... 😁

6 minutes ago, JWM said:

In 2020 I don’t know why they didn’t just add CarPlay support and do away with the expense of having its own navigation built in, with inevitably out of date maps and all the rest...

Great to have the option but I think I’ll leave mine alone and keep relying on my Apple Watch for navigation and the exhaust for music... 😁

True, I think these days bluetooth for handsfree phone is the most important thing.  I won't pay that sort of money for a new one to go into my GT3, PO put a modern thing in which I can;t work, thinking seriously about one of the Continental units instead to give me the hands free phone facility I want

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

True, I think these days bluetooth for handsfree phone is the most important thing.  I won't pay that sort of money for a new one to go into my GT3, PO put a modern thing in which I can;t work, thinking seriously about one of the Continental units instead to give me the hands free phone facility I want

They're not as convenient as bluetooth in the car obviously, but I've found just chucking my AirPods in if I need to make a call works well enough. I only drive it maybe 2,000km a year if that though and can't even remember using the phone while I have been. If it were a daily driver that would be a different story I guess.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

They're not as convenient as bluetooth in the car obviously, but I've found just chucking my AirPods in if I need to make a call works well enough. I only drive it maybe 2,000km a year if that though and can't even remember using the phone while I have been. If it were a daily driver that would be a different story I guess.

I actually decided to pull the trigger on a Continental tonight on Ebay.  Will see how that all goes. You're probably right about not really needing Bluetooth for phone in a non-daily, and to be honest, the GT3 cabin noise will probably be too high for anyone to hear what I'm saying anyhow 😁  But at least it looks to have an easy on / off switch, unlike the new fangled thing that's in it at the moment.....

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I actually decided to pull the trigger on a Continental tonight on Ebay.  Will see how that all goes. You're probably right about not really needing Bluetooth for phone in a non-daily, and to be honest, the GT3 cabin noise will probably be too high for anyone to hear what I'm saying anyhow 😁  But at least it looks to have an easy on / off switch, unlike the new fangled thing that's in it at the moment.....

Great replacement for something too modern that no doubt sticks out like a sore thumb as well!!

10 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

that looks sensational

I bought one of the continental units for my 928 before I sold it - they are great, look classy and low key, have great functionality. They are made by VDO so the quality is very good also

I bought a Blaupunkt Bremen DAB the other day (for the same price), hopefully get it in about a week - https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2872
Was a similar price to buy it locally as it was out of the UK or eBay taking into account GST and shipping

Love the RGB and Bluetooth and the tape flap for SD Card and USB (some i've seen have 'code protected' written under the tape flap