1988 944s parking brake adjustment

to the Brain trust

I am trying to adjust the parking brake and getting stumped. The parking brake has be loose since I bought the car. I have read Clark's Garage instructions, shown below and am having trouble finding the 'brake adjuster' as noted on point 3 under Adjusting the Parking Brake.

IMG_1025.jpg.81d9e0fe1585ae95089111dbfd87bc25.jpg

I am having trouble finding the adjustment screw, shown as item 4 in the PET, below. I can see item 11 in the 6 o'clock position, but nothing else other than springs.

PET.thumb.jpg.1ddd695cf90c8d64fef9e1f4f64e2ce5.jpg

Below is a photo of the 1988 911 parking brake, which I assume is similar to the 944 one. Noted on the Pelican Parts maintenance, it says the adjustment screw is at the 4 o'clock position. 375107011_twistything.thumb.jpg.58a4120fdd06f8ba6d17c82d01d0eae2.jpg 

Does anyone know if my adjustment screw at the 12 o'clock or the 4 o'clock position?

Its very difficult to see much through the small hole to access the adjustment.

Also noted on the PET is item 11 which is a "repair kit" so maybe my adjustment screw has been abducted into oblivion. 

The instruction and other you tube videos all say how easy it is to adjust the parking brake...

My next step is to remove the drum housing and expose the guts of it. Anyone have any experience doing this easy simple job or do I just need new glasses?

It should be a 10 minute job to adjust the  rear brakes ... easy peasy.

If you put a small screwdriver or a brake adjusting tool in the slot, you should just catch the cog wheel. If not, then there MIGHT be something amiss ...

If you take off the rear wheel, hit the drum softly with a rubber mallet and it should just come off over the studs ... again ... easy peasy. 😃

I have done this a long time ago, it was a pain getting it moving and in my excitement of getting it moving, i moved it too far and then had to start all over again, don't move it too far, I'm sorry i can't help you any more than this as my memory is a bit vague on this actual job.

Take the rear wheel off you should find the screw at the 12 o'clock position so align the hole there, should be able to spot the adjuster with a good torch and I think adjust up to tighten. Do both sides. You can up the carpet at the handle, release the hold nut and rotate the surround to adjust cable. Cross reference the other instructions.

If having trouble locating adjuster at hub remove the hub screw (don't force the screwdriver as the screw is soft) and then tap hub to release then slide over studs and you will be able to see the mechanism, how it adjusts and can check pads and springs.

Thank you for the assistance gentlemen.

I ended up removing the disk brake caliper & pulled the disk off with the associated drum. The adjustment screw was there but very difficult to turn as it was caked it brake pad dust. A touch of lube on the threads got it turning. The drum brake pads show uneven wear. The good one had 4 or 5 mil of pad left. The worn out one had 1mm on the remain pad with some chunks missing . I put it all back together for a drive this weekend.

I could not find a torque setting for the 2 disk brake calliper bolts.  I did find a 911, same year 1988, rear torque of 70 ft/lbs. Do you think this is correct for  944? 

Where should I go for new parking brake pads? Porsche directly or is there a vw/audi one? Should I be replacing the springs & adjuster screw thing at the same time?

• 3 months later...