Towbar recommendations for Macan

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in getting a towbar fitted in Melb for a Macan?

I think the OEM is a good way north of $2K, and would probably prefer a removable Hayman Reece Type.

The local supplier has quoted $2500 something for a HR one, which seems massively more than normal ?

Just need something to tow a 6x4, not the tajmahal or race car.

TIA

2 minutes ago, deano said:

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in getting a towbar fitted in Melb for a Macan?

I think the OEM is a good way north of $2K, and would probably prefer a removable Hayman Reece Type.

The local supplier has quoted $2500 something for a HR one, which seems massively more than normal ?

Just need something to tow a 6x4, not the tajmahal or race car.

TIA

Mate, similar prices quoted for one for my Touareg - HR ended up only being a few hundred less than genuine.  But, more importantly, check what the genuine wiring harness does compared to the generic HR one.  On the Touareg, the genuine VW one did things like changing transmission changeup points, disabled electric tailgate, also did something with stability control too.  If you're just towing a small trailer this is probably not too much of an issue, in my case we tow a caravan and also towed my previous GT3 (LHD one) on a tandem trailer, so the nice bits of the genuine harness was worth while.

@deano I would not recommend getting anything but the OEM one from the factory, there is a lot different about it than just the extra $$$ even the bumper bar they build the car with is different to a NON tow bar Macan. 

The OEM one has a module that allows connections with incandescent and LED illuminated trailers, these can be troublesome and if they are, you want that to be covered by warranty (I've had one replaced) 

The OEM is made by a German 3rd party supplier "Westfalia", its like the Hayman Reese (note: they do a folding one too but its for EU market only) and you can take the hitch out, its got a cap that comes with it, to nicely block it off when not in use... however as I mentioned, the bar is actually different one the factory fitted one with a a "relief" into the lower apron... when they are installed after the fact, they just look like a hack a job in my experience... I'd never go that route. 

OEM: 

IMG_4414_zpsmznclvka.jpg

I posted on this a while back -> 

Aftermarkets: 

img_8446-jpg.151801

17A10BB1-CDD2-4C1D-9E44-DAA35BC9454B.jpg

thanks @edgy I imagined  that just having an ECM would cover that aspect ok, but might have underestimated its importance.

I missed the opportunity to have a car built with a towpack in mind, as the car was a demo spec vehicle already underway, so I imagine then that whatever one I end up going for, its going to be hacked to some extent.

Hopefully having an OEM  fitted by PCM would be a better job than a third party towbar supplier.

I wasnt trying to be  tight rse , but didnt know a towpack would be so involved.

I ended up selling my Territory on the weekend to the first prospective buyer, for nearly $10k more than the highest dealer trade in price, and $13k more the the P dealer offered.

All without a roadworthy also.

Looks like adding an OEM at the first service might be the best option. 

Owe you a beer Edgy. :)

12 hours ago, deano said:

thanks @edgy I imagined  that just having an ECM would cover that aspect ok, but might have underestimated its importance.

I missed the opportunity to have a car built with a towpack in mind, as the car was a demo spec vehicle already underway, so I imagine then that whatever one I end up going for, its going to be hacked to some extent.

Hopefully having an OEM  fitted by PCM would be a better job than a third party towbar supplier.

I wasnt trying to be  tight rse , but didnt know a towpack would be so involved.

I ended up selling my Territory on the weekend to the first prospective buyer, for nearly $10k more than the highest dealer trade in price, and $13k more the the P dealer offered.

All without a roadworthy also.

Looks like adding an OEM at the first service might be the best option. 

Owe you a beer Edgy. :)

Nah you're good mate... you don't owe me squat!!  

I just want you to be fully aware of what is what, before someone lures you in with an attractive quote then proceeds to cut up your brand new car! :lol: I'd definitely double check with your Porsche centre too... if they include the lower apron etc then your golden, it really integrates the wiring outlets nicely, and when its not in use isn't unsightly. 

I remember agonising over this and delaying the build because they didnt offer the OEM hitch from the factory until MY 17 (2016 built) 

Agree 100% with Edgy on this - OEM only.  It's a class bit of kit.

Interestingly, I bought mine without the roof rails expecting to be able to retrofit them.  Big mistake!  Apparently they can only be fitted during assembly.  Or else you need to get the roof replaced.  Just FYI. 

yes I found out about the roof rails in time. 

I was recommended to get a rack from Thule who do one that you can fit if you dont have the rails pre built in, they clamp above the door ridges.

Although the weight capacity is the same (75kgs), my issue was that you are then limited to how far they can be spaced apart.

We have a 35ft long SUP (ok it is probably just12ft) that I thought might be pushing the friendship if the roof bars were only around 1m apart.

Luckily the new car has roof bars built in.

Only other thing I am chasing is a rear boot liner tub thing.

3 weeks to wait, then happy wife (theoretically) :) 

• 11 months later...

Dragging up this thread.

I’m due to pick up my Macan S in a couple of weeks.  I ordered the OEM tow bar package and am keen to know if it is anything like the Audi Q5 setup.

The Audi OEM tow bar wiring hitch is a rather large round socket, not the same as the Victorian round ones,  that pushes and turns a quarter turn to seat it.  Audi supply an adaptor with the tow bar which lets you plug in, in my case, a standard 7 pin flat connector. Very hassle free.

After reading some of the threads on here I’m not sure what to expect when I pick the Macan up.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update. 
The Macan was fitted with the standard (for Vic) large round plug, no pigtail.

A quick rewire of the trailer from 7 pin flat to the large 7 pin round and all works perfectly.

• 1 month later...

What is the ball weight of the OEM tow bar? Rule of thumb, a proper tow bar can take full towing weight (2000kg for Macan) and the tow ball weight is 10%. I can only find the ball weight on the electric tow bar system and that is 80kg, way short of the 200kg that I was expecting (need 150kg). 

Also, do dealers offer a 13 to 12 pigtail or just the 13 to 7?

1 hour ago, Spydermann said:

What is the ball weight of the OEM tow bar? Rule of thumb, a proper tow bar can take full towing weight (2000kg for Macan) and the tow ball weight is 10%. I can only find the ball weight on the electric tow bar system and that is 80kg, way short of the 200kg that I was expecting (need 150kg). 

Also, do dealers offer a 13 to 12 pigtail or just the 13 to 7?

This should help; OEM hitch MY17 car 

36955107-ADF2-481B-A0DA-A4DE7C371872.thumb.jpeg.4ad385a0e8a32818da12d1bbba06a65e.jpeg

not sure on the pig tail, I just have the 7 pin round to flat (can’t remember pins, and didn’t look) but suspect it’s an easy remedy 

Thanks for that. Still odd download. I note that aftermarket tow bars have 2400kg / 240kg. However I'd rather get the factory fitted one. Similar story with Audi Q3 with factory fitted vs aftermarket. Prefer factory done wiring. I can probably get the download to 140kg if I tried.

13 round to 12 flat are readily available at about $70. The 13 round pin is a European standard. 

On 03/07/2021 at 13:56, Spydermann said:

Thanks for that. Still odd download. I note that aftermarket tow bars have 2400kg / 240kg. However I'd rather get the factory fitted one. Similar story with Audi Q3 with factory fitted vs aftermarket. Prefer factory done wiring. I can probably get the download to 140kg if I tried.

13 round to 12 flat are readily available at about $70. The 13 round pin is a European standard. 

I thought the 2021 Macan would have the 13 pin plug, same as the 2020 Q5 it replaced, but it came with the large 7 pin round. Might be worth a chat to the dealer about options. 

• 2 years later...

Those of you that tow with a Macan, have you had any issues with the PDK boxes not coping ?

I know of one Cayenne PDK box that failed whilst reversing under load (horse trailer) and hear anecdotally that there are issues

but I'm hard pressed to find anything really negative on-line.

Thanks

On 19/11/2023 at 12:02, epilot said:

Those of you that tow with a Macan, have you had any issues with the PDK boxes not coping ?

I know of one Cayenne PDK box that failed whilst reversing under load (horse trailer) and hear anecdotally that there are issues

but I'm hard pressed to find anything really negative on-line.

Thanks

As far as I know, all Cayenne's have slush boxes, not PDK like the Macan.