international freight

Can anybody help me out with information? I need to transport 2 antique items from Germany back to Melbourne. ( a clock appro. 80 cm high and a musical box , approx. 90 cm wide ). Last time I was over there I could not find any service and the general advise was to organise from Australia, I know nothing about freighting and shipping internationally. I am hoping somebody in the Forum has some tips . Thank you kindly in advance.

9 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

Can anybody help me out with information? I need to transport 2 antique items from Germany back to Melbourne. ( a clock appro. 80 cm high and a musical box , approx. 90 cm wide ). Last time I was over there I could not find any service and the general advise was to organise from Australia, I know nothing about freighting and shipping internationally. I am hoping somebody in the Forum has some tips . Thank you kindly in advance.

They weren't hidden in a cave or at the bottom of a dam were they?:ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

Suggest you need to talk to a freight forwarding company - how that works in a. covid 19 world god only knows. Do you have someone that can act as your agent in Germany?

Some things to consider will be packaging, insurance, customs clearance and pest treatment given the items are made of wood. You will probably need an official valuation for duty calculation depending on ownership and what you can prove. 

Companies like this -  https://www.airseaworldwide.com.au/

suggest you try and find one that someone has dealt with

I used PSS in the UK, to ship my belongings back to Melbourne. I believe they do internationally, but worth a check.

You nominate the number of standard shipping cardboard boxes you need, they will send to the address where the items are. You pack the box, or you get someone to pack the box, and then they come and collect it.

Does take 6 weeks generally.

Thank you , good info and starting point. Niko, you are actually not too far away from the historical past of these items . They were hidden , found again and kept out of harms way during WW1and WW2. Everything else was stolen , burnt and taken. I want to give this to Lenny.

13 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

Thank you , good info and starting point. Niko, you are actually not too far away from the historical past of these items . They were hidden , found again and kept out of harms way during WW1and WW2. Everything else was stolen , burnt and taken. I want to give this to Lenny.

even more sentimental value then.   Great that it's being handed down through the family.....