Electric 3.2 SC crate motor kit

For the brains trust to kick a  can down the road.    How far off are we having an economical   electric crate 3.2  SC  flat six kit that drops onto aircooled engine / tranny  mounts along with other supporting bolt ons ( eg battery kit and cradle, e motor control unit / e drive by wire throttle pedal etc?  The 3.2 motor is effectively a  hollow 3d print version  and inside the casing is an electric motor / driveshaft setup).  Then you can buy bolt on (plastic / aluminium) replica lookalike ancillary engine  "e" parts to make the engine look factory riddy didge depending on your level of OCD. ( aldi get away with knockoff packaging / branding right.  

Then in relation to the frunk, do you reckon a battery kit that drops in the frunk will upset the driving dynmatic with circa double the hp and much more weight p front.  Do you do anything with the fuel tank.  I.e  fuel pump kit  with plumbing open to atmosphere with a valve. Eg if you want to add weight, come up with some weightaide that you add to water that is rust neutral that  is  defacto fuel.  Or do you model a battery kit that has the same weight and shape as the  factory   fuel tank with half a tank of gas in it. I.e Drop the fuel tank and bolt in a replacement battery / cradle  and tof course the electric plug replaces the fuel cap.  

Wash your mouth out Sir, three words that should never be in the same sentence...….Electric.....A/C Porsche......Aldi

I can see myself driving an electric car someday but would never wish to convert my 3.2 into an electric version.  All its soul will be gone

Yes a good idea. Was thinking about this after reading about the guy who made a smallblock chev drop in.

Yes you'd make the battery cradle go in the fuel tank hole.  I think conversions often stuff some more in the engine bay as well - it's just a choice of range.

it would be a bit heavier and mess up the feel a bit.  But fun.

Interesting topic @smit2100

I saw a 912 shell somewhere that needed a complete resto and had no engine or gb, etc. I wondered whether with that as a starting point, an electric kit would be a much more viable than trying to rebuild to standard.

Based in the replies here there’d be little demand to ever sell it 😂 but I reckon it would produce plenty of giggles to drive!

3 hours ago, Rob said:

You're a sick man Smit. Playing with those Audi S4s has warped your brain. Seek help!

Fyi, the playing  is not limited to s4's.  Same s4 receipe for a 996 turbo applies and is in the not in a rush works.  eg strictly bolton / bolt offs( factory parts preferred) around  a carefully  selected turbo and tune ( focused on reduced lag and better throttle response in the   lower  /mid rpm  range whilst ramping up the boost.   Sort out factory suspension and brakes and keep the rest of the car looking as stock as a rock. ( sleeper unless you are in the know with hood popped or its on a hoist.    Basically got  every rubber  bit,  valve and sensors  covered on every water, oil and boost line.    Impressive looking set of rebuilt snails plus more than a few unused p part numbers lifted  from early aircooled cars  to 996 gt3, 996g2, 997, 997 turbo  and 997gt2rs. Need to chase the 1%'s as well, eg 997 turbo exhaust manifold is a better cast and responds better to some internal porting and along with adressing one section on the plenum line can get you 500rpm -700 of earlier spoolup.  Only difference to the s4 is the parts are all bagged and   tagged with parts numbers diagrams where applicable in bags but  haven't quite made it onto the car yet.   I'm not a wrencher and progress is snail pace  slow.  Eg Bull at a gate within the first 100km of ownership.  Exhaust with 35km and tune within 100km of ownership and most of those k's were to and from a workshop.  Next couple of years on of ownership  and it's snail pace progress,  the only thing touched is removing the only mod on the car when I brought  it, being removing the gemballa short shifter to a factory 997 shifter.   But have the car  laid up currently for a bit of  yellow love to go on it., Eg ohlins coilovers, adjustible toe links and gt3 / gt2 brake and suspension bits to compliment the olhins.

So  a manual petrol watercooled 911 itch is scratched and plenty more itches  to keep sratching on there.  Aircooled not so, eg hard to reconcile  getting  more hp  in 2nd  gear in a watercooled than peak hp in an aircooled for similiar coin.    Electric motor kit for the right outlay would fix that bang for buck discrepancy for me in an aircooled. 

So for a boost junky, an  Aircooled 911ELECTOMATIC  with about 300awkw on all 4 wheels would tick the box for me. Just would be nice to get a bit of electric motor whine that's audible to replace the induction noise associated with last century turbo tech.  I had plenty of giggles in my S4.  But I'm thinking a longhood 911 Electromatic would be up their as a highly prized traffic light sleeper.

57 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Fyi, the playing  is not limited to s4's.  Same s4 receipe for a 996 turbo applies and is in the not in a rush works.  eg strictly bolton / bolt offs( factory parts preferred) around  a carefully  selected turbo and tune ( focused on reduced lag and better throttle response in the   lower  /mid rpm  range whilst ramping up the boost.   Sort out factory suspension and brakes and keep the rest of the car looking as stock as a rock. ( sleeper unless you are in the know with hood popped or its on a hoist.    Basically got  every rubber  bit,  valve and sensors  covered on every water, oil and boost line.    Impressive looking set of rebuilt snails plus more than a few unused p part numbers lifted  from early aircooled cars  to 996 gt3, 996g2, 997, 997 turbo  and 997gt2rs. Need to chase the 1%'s as well, eg 997 turbo exhaust manifold is a better cast and responds better to some internal porting and along with adressing one section on the plenum line can get you 500rpm -700 of earlier spoolup.  Only difference to the s4 is the parts are all bagged and   tagged with parts numbers diagrams where applicable in bags but  haven't quite made it onto the car yet.   I'm not a wrencher and progress is snail pace  slow.  Eg Bull at a gate within the first 100km of ownership.  Exhaust with 35km and tune within 100km of ownership and most of those k's were to and from a workshop.  Next couple of years on of ownership  and it's snail pace progress,  the only thing touched is removing the only mod on the car when I brought  it, being removing the gemballa short shifter to a factory 997 shifter.   But have the car  laid up currently for a bit of  yellow love to go on it., Eg ohlins coilovers, adjustible toe links and gt3 / gt2 brake and suspension bits to compliment the olhins.

So  a manual petrol watercooled 911 itch is scratched and plenty more itches  to keep sratching on there.  Aircooled not so, eg hard to reconcile  getting  more hp  in 2nd  gear in a watercooled than peak hp in an aircooled for similiar coin.    Electric motor kit for the right outlay would fix that bang for buck discrepancy for me in an aircooled. 

So for a boost junky, an  Aircooled 911ELECTOMATIC  with about 300awkw on all 4 wheels would tick the box for me. Just would be nice to get a bit of electric motor whine that's audible to replace the induction noise associated with last century turbo tech.  I had plenty of giggles in my S4.  But I'm thinking a longhood 911 Electromatic would be up their as a highly prized traffic light sleeper.

You've convinced me - how about an electric conversion kit for my S4?

1 hour ago, brian in buddina said:

drop in electric kit to a boxster/cayman 

to the front axle

will need some black boxes & a nerd to program it

That would work well a Hybrid Boxster like a baby 918 ..............:Jumping: