Ricciardo to McLaren 2021

LeeM

No idea, as I don't really follow it that much. All I've seen is crap results from Renault cars and better ones from McLaren, so maybe it will be a better option for Dan than flogging a dead horse

A better move for him. Although, he could've gone to McLaren 2 years earlier, but chose Renault instead. A bit of a sideways move for him, having gone backwards from RedBull. However, McLaren are on the up, and with Merc engines, hopefully the momentum at the team continues for Ricciardo's sake.

I'd imagine he would be a bit upset he didn't get the Ferrari seat. If you watch the netflix series, he was always gunning for a seat in Mercedes or Ferarri ever since leaving RedBull, and he felt a bit threatened seeing the rise of Sainz at McLaren, who had a superb year last year.

He'd be #1 driver at McLaren though, which is what he wants; whereas for Ferrari, who knows, as Leclerc is such a gun!

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

No idea, as I don't really follow it that much. All I've seen is crap results from Renault cars and better ones from McLaren, so maybe it will be a better option for Dan than flogging a dead horse

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Agree good move :Beer:

You're on the money Porka.

I admire his supreme talent and love the way he carries himself - let's face it in this era of F1 if a driver hasn't won a championship or 2 by the age of 25 he's no longer in the top 2 or 3 rated drivers to be a number one in the team. He's now 30 and on a huge dollar with a few young guys setting the tracks alight and putting the scores on the board on a lesser dollar. Dan wont play 2nd fiddle in a team hence the move from Redbull and at McLaren he's got a chance of some good reliability now using a Mercedes engine, Renault donks have been unreliable for a while and not too much better last season. Stick him in a Mercedes team car and with fair luck he'd be a champ. Would have been romantic to see him at Ferrari but LeClerc is the number 1 and thoroughly deserved of it too.

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Stick him in a Mercedes team car and with fair luck he'd be a champ.

Agreed.

Also, I think it's not a bad commercial decision by McLaren. Arguably the best two personalities on the grid in their driver line up - Ricciardo/Norris. Should bring in some good revenue! Looking forward to all the pressers.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:52, LeeM said:

And we might see him in a car at Bathurst with Walkinshaw/Brown/Andretti united! Now that would be good

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/f1-2020-daniel-ricciardo-bathurst-1000-wildcard-with-mclaren-supercars/news-story/68667c54a295f55df394d2cc3eaac6a1

Might be a good move for next year results, but when the new Regs come in in 2022 I'm not yet convinced. Mclaren are in trouble financially and are pushing for budget restrictions, and Renault have a huge budget to develop a car that suits the new regs. Just depends whether the people they have hired are the right people. 

Will be interesting to see how much input Adrian Newey has in Red Bulls new car - he loves a regulation change.

6 minutes ago, hugh said:

If only F1 was as exciting as all of the talk around F1. :lol:

Agreed, i am trying to make myself like it, if we didn't have an Aussie involved it wouldn't keep me interested, i miss the noise, there was drama just in that. 

15 minutes ago, reddahaydn said:

Come of feggans, don't be like that! By the way, have you registered for Phillip Island in a few weeks? 

I just couldn't help myself.

In relation to PI not as of yet..............I do hope to get along for it though. 

Rumour is Dan was on $42M/yr at Renault and moved to McLaren for “just” $17M/yr.  In parallel, Renault are sacking 15,000 workers and asking for Govt assistance, surely at some point they have to question how they can continue on in F1 spend.......maybe he bailed from a sinking ship 🤔

How can one guy command $42M when the whole Renault operation made $21M.........before CV19......I suspect new CEO who starts 1 July might be wielding a chainsaw.

The company was in trouble before coronavirus, reporting its worst financial performance in a decade last year, with net profit dropping 99% to just €19 million ($21 million).

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/29/business/renault-job-cuts/index.html

I'm sure I read thats what Renault offered Dan. 

How much does an F1 driver need as a pay packet? You look at Hamilton on $30oddmillion a year, yet he's worth probably triple that and doesn't need the money, yet Mercedes want him there so they're prepared to pay. Vettel, what's his worth now that he's been living in the shadow of Leclerc? Surely at least half of what he was on at his peak, and his options of a good team are pretty slim now.

Only my opinion here, yet Dan taking a 'mere' $17m to move to McLaren shows that A. He's wanting to jump from a sinking ship. B. He's taking what he can get, because Ferrari don't want an older driver and he'll never go back to Red Bull with the dictator boss there. Or C. He's made a shed load of cash already, and just wants to race in a good team. 

I'm not that interested in F1, and would only watch it if Dan was back in the hunt for podiums. With Mercedes power and his utter determination to win, I reckon we might just see that. Hope so anyway 

49 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I'm sure I read thats what Renault offered Dan. 

How much does an F1 driver need as a pay packet? You look at Hamilton on $30oddmillion a year, yet he's worth probably triple that and doesn't need the money, yet Mercedes want him there so they're prepared to pay. Vettel, what's his worth now that he's been living in the shadow of Leclerc? Surely at least half of what he was on at his peak, and his options of a good team are pretty slim now.

Only my opinion here, yet Dan taking a 'mere' $17m to move to McLaren shows that A. He's wanting to jump from a sinking ship. B. He's taking what he can get, because Ferrari don't want an older driver and he'll never go back to Red Bull with the dictator boss there. Or C. He's made a shed load of cash already, and just wants to race in a good team. 

I'm not that interested in F1, and would only watch it if Dan was back in the hunt for podiums. With Mercedes power and his utter determination to win, I reckon we might just see that. Hope so anyway 

High risk job with little margin for error going that speed, if you have an off i would want that much moola as well. Been listening to a lot of podcasts lately of ex race car and F1 drivers and the way they talk about how hard the cars are to drive, very interesting that Webber said he can't go back to racing anything because the frame rate for him is too slow compared to F!.

That's all well and good...and fair enough I s'pose, yet like anyone in any high risk job, be it F1 or scaffolding, it is their choice to be there. 

Ofcourse F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, yet I imagine it's also like becoming the grand poohbah of a company. You have to sweep the floors to begin with, then once you've made it to the top, you get the rewards which also come at a high risk.

I've always said ALL sports people are overpaid, yet they ask (demand) and they get, so who is the winner there? 😁

All in all, I'm just bored with all pro motorsport unless its MotoGP (F1, Supercars etc us just yawn worthy), and I'm more interested in watching more grass roots racing where theres actual racing, not the strategic crap and being concerned at tyre degradation. Only IndyCar has any real watchable 'racing'

It’s not about risk, it’s about talent.  The best guys are highly talented and thus in demand and so they can command the big dollars.  No different in any high profile sport.

Just now, DJM said:

No different in any high profile sport.

F1 (or really any elite/professional top tier motor sport) isn't as clear cut as there is typically a buy in/cost to get a seat. No doubt the guys at the top are talented but its more than just talent. I still think professional sports people get payed way too much (hence my system is broken comment above) but I guess good on them if you can get it, I just find the numbers staggering. 

I'm sure most would do it for nothing if it meant they could win, must be so frustrating being in a team who doesn't have a chance in the 4-6 car race F1 has become.