Sign in to follow this  
LeeM

Ricciardo to McLaren 2021

¬†With McLaren getting Mercedes engines next year, let's hope Dan can take a decent fight to Hamilton and Leclerc¬†ūüĎć

Couldn’t be any worse that Renault could it?!?

No idea, as I don't really follow it that much. All I've seen is crap results from Renault cars and better ones from McLaren, so maybe it will be a better option for Dan than flogging a dead horse

A better move for him. Although, he could've gone to McLaren 2 years earlier, but chose Renault instead. A bit of a sideways move for him, having gone backwards from RedBull. However, McLaren are on the up, and with Merc engines, hopefully the momentum at the team continues for Ricciardo's sake.

I'd imagine he would be a bit upset he didn't get the Ferrari seat. If you watch the netflix series, he was always gunning for a seat in Mercedes or Ferarri ever since leaving RedBull, and he felt a bit threatened seeing the rise of Sainz at McLaren, who had a superb year last year.

He'd be #1 driver at McLaren though, which is what he wants; whereas for Ferrari, who knows, as Leclerc is such a gun!

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

No idea, as I don't really follow it that much. All I've seen is crap results from Renault cars and better ones from McLaren, so maybe it will be a better option for Dan than flogging a dead horse

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Agree good move :Beer:

You're on the money Porka.

I admire his supreme talent and love the way he carries himself - let's face it in this era of F1 if a driver hasn't won a championship or 2 by the age of 25 he's no longer in the top 2 or 3 rated drivers to be a number one in the team. He's now 30 and on a huge dollar with a few young guys setting the tracks alight and putting the scores on the board on a lesser dollar. Dan wont play 2nd fiddle in a team hence the move from Redbull and at McLaren he's got a chance of some good reliability now using a Mercedes engine, Renault donks have been unreliable for a while and not too much better last season. Stick him in a Mercedes team car and with fair luck he'd be a champ. Would have been romantic to see him at Ferrari but LeClerc is the number 1 and thoroughly deserved of it too.

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Stick him in a Mercedes team car and with fair luck he'd be a champ.

Agreed.

Also, I think it's not a bad commercial decision by McLaren. Arguably the best two personalities on the grid in their driver line up - Ricciardo/Norris. Should bring in some good revenue! Looking forward to all the pressers.

And we might see him in a car at Bathurst with Walkinshaw/Brown/Andretti united! Now that would be good