Ricciardo to McLaren 2021

LeeM

On 01/06/2020 at 18:41, LeeM said:

True @sleazius

I've watched some 80's F1 the past few weeks on Foxtel, and its basically as it is now...boring. Sounds a LOT better though

Interesting listen to Martin Brundle on Collecting Cars podcast.  In his era in the 80s, all their energy was expended manhandling the difficult to drive cars and avoiding a crash/serious injury/death such that there was a lot less headspace for racing.  for sure, some great moments came about, but generally the racing wasn’t great.

In his opinion the racing today is very good 🤔.  He is employed in the business so he would say that but it’s an interesting perspective.  He did say it has changed a lot and it’s now about data and precision over bravery and manhandling. And that’s part of the issue, who gives a shit about the last millisecond, make them a challenge to drive and let’s see who can master it.  And fix the sound.  Otherwise we might as well watch Formula E.......ugh.

S5000 Seems much closer to the mark.

• 1 year later...

That smile was impossibly huge and shoeys all 'round! He did a great job leading all the way with some close challengers throughout. The race had a bit of everything and Bottas did a fine job as well starting 20th finishing 3rd. Happy with Kayo Lee? The coverage of motorsport is always so good. Binged on Porsche Supercup, MotoGp 2 and 3,  and F1and F2 last night. Piastri scored a win, Remy Gardner having a fantastic season, and Danny Ric's win crowned the night!

Epic race for Dan, controlled it beautifully from start to finish and clearly had plenty in reserve, hammering out the fastest lap on the final lap. Unlikely to win again this year but that’s got to do wonders for his confidence going into 2022 where it will be open slather with the shake up of the regs.

He was very happy but I think his fans were even happier after what has been a disappointing year so far.

I find it strange that he can be so inconsistent then suddenly have a win, car aside, although possibly would have been third or fourth had Verstappen and Hamilton not ended their race, but still an improvement. 

Lets hope he can maintain this form, certainly an clear improvement. 

1 hour ago, donR said:

He was very happy but I think his fans were even happier after what has been a disappointing year so far.

I find it strange that he can be so inconsistent then suddenly have a win, car aside, although possibly would have been third or fourth had Verstappen and Hamilton not ended their race, but still an improvement. 

Lets hope he can maintain this form, certainly an clear improvement. 

I reckon he had the measure of both Hamilton and Verstappen. Had they not crashed, I still think he would have won. 

@Troubleshooter

I haven't got Kayo yet mate, still on Foxtel till I cancel it in December, as they gave me a much cheaper deal till then

3 hours ago, spiller said:

I reckon he had the measure of both Hamilton and Verstappen. Had they not crashed, I still think he would have won. 

Yep, both Mclarens had great speed all weekend, and both Wolf and Horner said they were surprised how quick they were.

I reckon both Hamilton and Verstappen were to blame for their collision, as one wanted it and the other didn't want to give it up. Lucky the halo was there, as Hamilton copped a little whack on his lid from the others tyre. 

Stoked for Dan to get the win and his confidence back, yet also very happy for Mclaren to get a 1-2 finish.

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

For sure without the halo it would have been a very different outcome and he’s also very lucky that Max copped a 3 spot grid penalty and 2 penalty points 🤷‍♂️

That was a pretty crap penalty I think. Hamilton was squeezing him. I am surprised they decided it was Max's fault. I would have said it was a racing incident or even more Lewis' fault...

11 minutes ago, MFX said:

That was a pretty crap penalty I think. Hamilton was squeezing him. I am surprised they decided it was Max's fault. I would have said it was a racing incident or even more Lewis' fault...

Just watching the replay at the moment.  I think both equally at fault, which could make it a racing incident, or perhaps both should get a next race penalty....

4 hours ago, MFX said:

Yeah I was surprised he got a penalty, as Lewis didn't give him any room and Max was also pretty agressive wanting that corner, so I would've thought it was 50/50.

I've done the same thing as Max when racing karts by bombing up the inside when I really didn't need to, and the leader shutting the door with the same result throwing me in the air. We both knew what happened and laughed about it afterwards, yet I ended up cartwheeling with a damaged helmet and bent axle and he won the race. Prick 🙄😅

If ya don't have a go you'll never know 

58 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Can't believe Max got a penalty. Racing incident everyday. Geez, Hamilton is the Geelong FC of the racing world with all the frees he gets. So many things I would like to say about Hamilton but I would get banned.

Yeh I hear you , I am not a Hamilton fan either , but it is kinda hard to call that incident as to who is at fault , I see both sides and one could even say they are both at fault , tough one ..

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Yeh I hear you , I am not a Hamilton fan either , but it is kinda hard to call that incident as to who is at fault , I see both sides and one could even say they are both at fault , tough one ..

You are not alone.  Listen to the crowd when the “incident” happened.

3 hours ago, Raven said:

I Have been down to Melbourne a number of times for the F1 GP you often meet fans from the UK in the grandstand and it is surprising how many dislike him ..

Unlike the Sky sports commentators. 

It's a Lewis and Lando love fest every three minutes 🙄

I'm just glad Max is making F1 entertaining and actually watchable, yet he's also making silly mistakes which could cost him the title. Sundays race, he could have waited for another opportunity to pass Hamilton as he had the speed, yet he's probably got his karting sprint race mentality going on in his head, by forcing a gap wherever he can. Watch any world championship Karting and you'll see what I mean. 

Regardless, the rest of the season is going to be interesting to watch with those two

9 hours ago, MFX said:

I just saw a post by Randy Pobst on Instagram which does make sense.

As much as I think Lewis is a d!ck,  Randy has a fair argument here.

Nice find and I agree it was arguably Max's fault. However, if you go back a step further it seems a slow pit stop of a matter of seconds (I read total 11.1s) was what put him behind Hamilton. I suspect Max was perhaps still fuming/distracted from that and felt the need to make up time at all cost. Shows it can really be a team effort.