Ricciardo to McLaren 2021

LeeM

31 minutes ago, donR said:

Nice find and I agree it was arguably Max's fault. However, if you go back a step further it seems a slow pit stop of a matter of seconds (I read total 11.1s) was what put him behind Hamilton. I suspect Max was perhaps still fuming/distracted from that and felt the need to make up time at all cost. Shows it can really be a team effort. 

Yeah, Max was on his first flying lap after a horrendous pit stop, and Lewis was just coming out from his slow pit stop, so if either team had a clean pit, it would have been a completely different story.

In essence this is so similar to their previous bingle, IMHO.  Very different corners but the super high speed of the first incident made Lewis’s move just as cheeky as Max in Italy.  There was also zero likelihood the move could be completed successfully and safely.  The stewards saw that too and penalised Lewis.

The Monza penalty is harsher for Verstappen and RedBull.  Clearly it was impossible to give a 5 second pit lane penalty as both cars were wrecked in Italy but I feel the the penalty should not be grid places.

Both incidents are identical in 1- the attitude of the driver coming from behind, 2- both moves caused a wreck,  3- both moves were dangerous and not completed safely.  But previously Lewis ruined RedBull’s weekend + he and Mercedes Benz profited.  Interesting that both team principals called the incident a professional foul.  Both have a point.  Their drivers’ skills and awareness are off the charts.

Personally I think Lewis is a little better at  the on and beyond the limit stuff.  The red mist is stronger for Max; he’s a very young man.

I hope Lewis stays a touch clear of Max in the following GP’s.  It’s not about showing “courage”.  Lewis has an opportunity to make winning moves with greater skill; avoid the push and shove, drive around Max and win.  Maybe it’s possible, maybe it’s not.  We will never know if he doesn’t or can’t do it.  But it’s what I want to see and would show that he is #1 beyond any doubt.

Max has the same opportunity with arguably something even greater to prove if he could do it.  I take nothing away from Max.  He is brilliant and has matured so quickly.  Huge cudos to him for that.  But there’s still a bit to go in sheer canny skill, which is born from experience and patience and perfect timing.  That is precisely what Lewis should exploit.