Cayman 981 PDK question.

Prodigy

I've been in the market for a 981 Cayman S for a while now, originally only wanted a manual but broadening my search now to PDK, my question is, is Sports Chrono a must with PDK? Is it even worth considering cars without it? 

I particularly like how my current DCT blips the throttle on downshifts in sport mode, does this happen in non SC equipped 981 Caymans? I drove a base 718 without SC and it didn't blip.

Others that drive more seriously that we do will chime in, but we have a standard 981 PDK Boxster with SC, and to be honest we tend not to use either Sports or Super Sports mode, so I haven't checked out the blip on downshift.  However, the car is my wife's daily drive, which really doesn't see any track time or seriously hard driving (I have my GT3 for that 🙂 ).  HOWEVER, what I can recommend as a must is the flappy paddle wheel.  Even for normal everyday driving, the paddles are great for downshifts for corners etc.   I usually don't bother driving in full manual mode, or upshifting in auto, as the PDK does it so well 🙂 

17 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Others that drive more seriously that we do will chime in, but we have a standard 981 PDK Boxster with SC, and to be honest we tend not to use either Sports or Super Sports mode, so I haven't checked out the blip on downshift.  However, the car is my wife's daily drive, which really doesn't see any track time or seriously hard driving (I have my GT3 for that 🙂 ).  HOWEVER, what I can recommend as a must is the flappy paddle wheel.  Even for normal everyday wheel, the paddles are great for downshifts for corners etc.  Usually don't bother driving in full manual mode, or upshifting in auto, as the PDK does it so well 🙂 

Agree about the steering wheel, i have driven a Boxster with the back to front up/down thumb shifters, hated it, will get the sports design wheel for sure. At least that can be fitted quite easily at a later stage. 

On 15/05/2020 at 12:54, Prodigy said:

Agree about the steering wheel, i have driven a Boxster with the back to front up/down thumb shifters, hated it, will get the sports design wheel for sure. At least that can be fitted quite easily at a later stage. 

Go the full box of fruit always worth more when you  want to move it

• 2 weeks later...

Prodigy, I was in the same situation as you... looking for a manual 981S but having no luck. I ended up buying a PDK 981S with Sport Chrono (which was a requirement for me) and Sports Exhaust and I am stoked with the car. I drive it fairly hard away from town and take it much easier around built up areas, but I always drive in manual mode with Sport selected and use the paddles. The gear changes are addictive on throttle and the down changes are super quick and auto-blipped. The sports exhaust is open when in Sport mode and sounds awesome. In Sport Plus mode, the ECU map changes again and the shifts are even more direct... I tend to use this mode as a novelty when having a play, but I will exclusively use this when on the track, once these restrictions ease.

So, from my point of view, and for my type of use, Sport Chrono was absolutely necessary. I say forget anything without it.

Cheers.