CDR 23 Bluetooth

Merv

These devices have come a long way since this unit was made.  For phone and music streaming what are the best options?  I know about the Continental/VDO mechless radio units with A2DP, but I would like to keep the CDR 23 head unit.

Any experience with the iSimple Transit Blu Handsfree?   https://stingeraustralia.com.au/product/pacisfm2351/

Or other suggestions?

I have the Tranzit Blue HF in the Cayenne (after a recommendation from Einsteiny), it works well in phone calls, and music playback and displays ID3 tags of music. The skip/answer button isn't very responsive, I installed it myself and was pretty simple (but I imagine there's more room to work in a Cayenne) The only reason I went with the Tranzit Blue was replacing the head unit throws error codes from the ECU that it can't communicate with the gateway, and I'm a bit OCD about these things

I had the 420 BT in my 911, and it was great, so off the back of that I just bought a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB for another car. I'll let you know how it goes (it looks vintage but has Bluetooth) from here:
https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2911

Just this week I've been contemplating this and have been eying this off, which seems to hijack the CD stacker input on the MOST fibre optic circuit, avail. on ebay for ~$190. 

https://mr12v.com/the-products?olsPage=products%2Fbluetooth-handsfree-adapter-for-audi-mmi-2g-high-blt-hnd-dpt-for

There's a decent how-to write up here

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, so will see what other options people reply with here, as I'm like @Merv and want to keep the factory look of the CDR23 and also want Spotify, handsfree etc.

Thanks Russ and Steve. The reviews I have read seem very good, especially as it does not appear to be disturbed in its radio/FM link and actively suppresses the radio while on a phone call or streaming music.  The stock unit in the 2003 996TT is a CDR 23 with Bose speakers.  But I am told by the current owner (i collect the car on Friday) does not  have a stacker.   Not sure when this started in the 996 or if they all had this?  The MR12VOLT MOST Bluetooth Adapter for Porsche seems to work and is available in Australia https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-A2DP-USB-adapter-for-Porsche-CDR23-CDR24-Boxster-Cayman-Cayenne-/123251644993

Another alternative is the Continental/VDO unit that I fitted to my Carrera 1988.  Nice mechless unit with full BT phone sand streaming for just over $200.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VDO-CONTINENTAL-TR7412UB-OR-PORSCHE-MERCEDES-12v-RADIO-ORANGE-DISPLAY-BLUETOOTH/323356747149?epid=25021936599&hash=item4b4990658d:g:P9sAAOSwBdRbUXF7

EDIT Becker below is a 220, mine is a CDR23

continental-car-radio-tr7412ubor_274x90.jpg

radio1.jpg

from what i recall the Tranzit unit is wired inline to the antenna connection, and then you tune your radio to a station and it receives the info from the phone and displays it that way

Yes Russ, but also has a suppression function to stop interference from adjacent frequencies.

I welcome any further or different suggestions for BT or FM phone/music connection to a CDR23.

nope. on the tranzit. the earth is connected in the same place the radio earth was (and it was working fine)i think it's the module itself but i haven't done much more troubleshooting yet - I never use the radio anymore

I have a CDR23 with MOST and I used a Dension Gateway 500 + Bovee WMA500 - basically one of the best options you can get.

Can also change the song on the headunit too. I didn't want to bother with FM transmitters - they are inferior solutions IMO

6 minutes ago, Merv said:

Probably right Dan. But how much does the Denison cost?  I can buy a whole new VDO unit with BT streaming and phone (above) for under $200.

Can't get the dension setup for under $200. 

There is also the new PCM unit but it's even more 

• 4 weeks later...

There is a Dennison Mini that I have enquired about. Not sure if anyone has tried that?

It seems the other adapter which has a more secure (non FM) connection - does not work with any car WITHOUT a CD changer.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-A2DP-USB-adapter-for-Porsche-CDR23-CDR24-Boxster-Cayman-Cayenne/123251644993?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My car didn't have a CD changer and for my dension to work I had to tell my car it had a CD changer. Not sure if that's why they state it won't work. 

The MOST system is not the most simple system as you're dealing with fibre optic cable. 

It is Dan.  You have to take it to a Porsche Centre and get them to re-program the system to 'think' there is a CD changer.  Having just driven for 4 hrs to the OPC in Brisbane to get a key coded to my central locking (they still could not get it to work and I have to go back), I am not keen to drive down again to get the non-existent CD changer to be turned off!

I really don't want to change the head unit and all that entails.

On 25/05/2020 at 13:11, dan_189 said:

I have a CDR23 with MOST and I used a Dension Gateway 500 + Bovee WMA500 - basically one of the best options you can get.

Can also change the song on the headunit too. I didn't want to bother with FM transmitters - they are inferior solutions IMO

Dan, how is the phone functionality with your setup?

On 19/05/2020 at 13:58, Steve996 said:

Just this week I've been contemplating this and have been eying this off, which seems to hijack the CD stacker input on the MOST fibre optic circuit, avail. on ebay for ~$190. 

https://mr12v.com/the-products?olsPage=products%2Fbluetooth-handsfree-adapter-for-audi-mmi-2g-high-blt-hnd-dpt-for

There's a decent how-to write up here

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, so will see what other options people reply with here, as I'm like @Merv and want to keep the factory look of the CDR23 and also want Spotify, handsfree etc.

I've just installed this one in my 997.1 and Its a treat. Phone is a bit cumbersome but the music from my iphone is exceptional. Keeps all the original looks. i love it

3 hours ago, KGB said:

Dan, how is the phone functionality with your setup?

Non existent - I had the very rare Dension Bluetooth module but it only worked with the PCM not CDR so I sold it - I only have music streaming.

Another option is the new Classic PCM for the 996 - not cheap but looks great. There are some MOST boxes that will do what the Dension does but I haven't tried them as I like my setup and i've retained my CDR-23 and didn't need to cut, splice or damage anything. It just sits on a bracket I made neatly in the frunk. 

4 hours ago, Merv said:

It is Dan.  You have to take it to a Porsche Centre and get them to re-program the system to 'think' there is a CD changer.  Having just driven for 4 hrs to the OPC in Brisbane to get a key coded to my central locking (they still could not get it to work and I have to go back), I am not keen to drive down again to get the non-existent CD changer to be turned off!

I really don't want to change the head unit and all that entails.

It can be done - they might tell you otherwise (either because they don't want to or don't know how). Its in PIWIS2/PIWIS3 - PCM > Maintenance Repairs > MOST expected units. I can get you a screenshot of it if you need one. 

Thanks Dan do send that screenshot please.

I am currently leaning towards the Tranzit Blue HF that Russ (above) used.  It seems least problematic.  I am really most interested to get the BT phone and the music is of second importance.

8 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Non existent - I had the very rare Dension Bluetooth module but it only worked with the PCM not CDR so I sold it - I only have music streaming.

Another option is the new Classic PCM for the 996 - not cheap but looks great. There are some MOST boxes that will do what the Dension does but I haven't tried them as I like my setup and i've retained my CDR-23 and didn't need to cut, splice or damage anything. It just sits on a bracket I made neatly in the frunk. 

Thanks.  I’m on the list at PCM for PCCM Plus when they’re due for release Q4 this year, was hoping to find a CDR23 solution for wifi in car telephony, but looks like a big spend is the only way to resolve the problem.?

Is there an AU price on the PCCM+ yet?  I like the idea of it but damn it's expensive and seems a bit out of date already.  Best price reference I've seen thus far is about 1300ukp over there (might include their VAT of 15% or more), so that's getting on for 3 grand.  Ouch.  I'm looking forward to more comprehensive reviews as they make their way into the wild though.

For my e39 I bought an Extrons android unit for $400 which looks absolutely factory and hardware-wise was all plug and play.  I did some refinement of the interface with another launcher but it did work as-was.  It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good, a shame there is not an equivalent unit for the 996/986.  Call me old, but having physical buttons/knobs is a must for me, the button-less touch screens do not appeal, especially with no steering wheel volume buttons for quick distraction-free adjustments.

Having a changer, Bose and MOST, the BT module devices like Mr12Volt are probably my best bang for buck at the moment.  Music, streaming and the ability to receive and make the occasional phone call are all I really want for.  I'd even be quite happy with a Conti unit and get rid of the PCM2 and do a console delete, but ironically that would probably be a much more difficult exercise.

I assume the PCCM+ does the speed sensitive volume?  These cars are not quiet and really need that or you'd be forever tweaking volume up and down.  First world probs...  :)

These look pretty good but very expensive in the post-COVID environment.  Based on the US price, we could expect $2500 here. https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/porsche-adds-android-auto-apple-carplaly-to-classic-models/

The PCCM+ is now being installed by Porsche Classic Centres in Europe and I guess the cost has to be weighed against the fact that this is a Porsche part and a 'factory' system upgrade, unlike aftermarket options.  

The Mr12 (won't work on some systems) and the Tranzit seems the best options ATM.

21 hours ago, st3ve said:

Is there an AU price on the PCCM+ yet?  I like the idea of it but damn it's expensive and seems a bit out of date already.  Best price reference I've seen thus far is about 1300ukp over there (might include their VAT of 15% or more), so that's getting on for 3 grand.  Ouch.  I'm looking forward to more comprehensive reviews as they make their way into the wild though.

Price at bottom of the page, yep. Ouch https://www.porschemelbourne.com.au/pccm

i have the continental in my SC works fine but about to add an amp as it's pre amp is gutless find the cabin noise kills it

On 19/05/2020 at 11:50, Russ said:

I had the 420 BT in my 911, and it was great, so off the back of that I just bought a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB for another car. I'll let you know how it goes (it looks vintage but has Bluetooth) from here:
https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2911

Hi Russ any update and what car did you fit it to? Mate has a 993 and needs Bluetooth