CDR 23 Bluetooth

Merv

Ta TIPS.  I have the VDO/Conti on my 88 911 and it is the best value for money - ever! However on the 996 I want to keep the original Becker head unit.  Options are limited to the PCCM+ and the Tranzit Blue as the original unit has fibre optic and the computer 'thinks' there is a CD changer.

The PCM price of the PCCM+ is the unit only - I guess they would want a lot more for installation!

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

Newbie here. New 2003 996 owner with the stock CDR23 MOST system. I've been combing the forums looking for the best solution and am thankful to have found this forum as I am in Sydney. I bought a $50 FM transmitter from Kogan which is suitable for now. However, I have not found an affordable solution and appealing solution for iPhone mounting without having so stick something to the dash. The Rennline ExactFit unit looks good, but it quite pricey to order from overseas.

I would like to keep the car stock in appearance, and do not want to mess with the MOST system. It seems the iTransitBLU is a good option. I'm wondering what advantages the Dension set up has, and what it costs fully installed?

And any recommendations for an iPhone mount?

Thanks.

I had a chance to test the TransitBlue during our long drive across various regional/country areas.  It worked perfectly and phone calls and music streaming met requirements well. I liked it because it did not mess with the original unit and I could do it in 30 mins.  Track changes are done with one button press on the unit and the car stock LED display automatically displays the track titles/names.

Phone mounts: https://www.holdmyphone.com.au/mounts/car/porsche.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw34n5BRA9EiwA2u9k3yUu1Es77I3K2tlh1o3c-dQv_7i5mu-g7xvX0EVEv1uQKhZeqkjOHRoCu8MQAvD_BwE

However I generally keep mine in my pocket.

I’m installing a Mr12Volt kit in my 996’s CDR23.

Integrates with the Most fibre optics rather than using the FM band on the radio.  

A little more of a direct connection.  Not too complicated if your car has the factory CD changer.

Great quality phone reception, immediate connection, great streaming.

More complicated installation process though (I think?).

https://mr12v.com/

36 minutes ago, Merv said:

Just arrived in my PO Box!

KGB, did you have a CD changer?  Apparently if you don't the system is hard to get working properly on the CDR23.  The Bluetooth emulates the CD changer as I understand.  I explored this but the seller said I could not use it on a non-CD 23.

Merv, yes I have a CD changer.  The issue with the fibre optic loop is programming, if you replace the CD changer with the B/T unit it’s fine, but if your car has no CDC you’ll require programming by your dealer or the system doesn’t recognise the B/T unit (emulating the CDC).

Finished off my instal this morning, all in dash beneath & behind the head unit.  There’s a lot going on in there, wish my hands were smaller! Mic at top of A pillar.  Reception and streaming working very well.  I think only a Dension and phone module would be better as control would be available via CDR23, not the phone only as per my set up. But the Dension and phone unit run well over $700 plus instal. Might as well go for PCCM+ in that case and gain many additional benefits.  Pretty satisfied with a spend of about $250 for the unit, radio removal tools and sundries. Offered a challenging little lock down project, bit of fun and some cursing. Cheaper than one “holding a phone whilst driving” infringement.

Still keen on a PCCM+ later in the year if the world hasn’t ended....

On 31/07/2020 at 12:11, KGB said:

I’m installing a Mr12Volt kit in my 996’s CDR23.

Integrates with the Most fibre optics rather than using the FM band on the radio.  

A little more of a direct connection.  Not too complicated if your car has the factory CD changer.

Great quality phone reception, immediate connection, great streaming.

More complicated installation process though (I think?).

https://mr12v.com/

Just arrived in my PO Box!

Just had  look at that website...this looks promising and infinitely cleaner looking than my current set up, which is one of those FM transmitters. How much to have you install it for me @KGB?

48 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

Just had  look at that website...this looks promising and infinitely cleaner looking than my current set up, which is one of those FM transmitters. How much to have you install it for me @KGB?

Dave,  happy to "help desk" you through it. 

Judging by your m/cycle collection you're a couple of sizes smaller than me allowing easier in-dash and foot well access!

Can you remove your radio head unit?

Where is your current setup located, in dash or sun visor unit?

Is your car MOST fibre optic equiped, unit to unit (2 strands of orange stiff cable), and do you have a CD changer?

Very likely you could replace your existing unit with the Mr12V with only half the hassle.....or maybe not.

How hard can it be...

5 hours ago, KGB said:

Dave,  happy to "help desk" you through it. 

Judging by your m/cycle collection you're a couple of sizes smaller than me allowing easier in-dash and foot well access!

Can you remove your radio head unit? 

Where is your current setup located, in dash or sun visor unit?

Is your car MOST fibre optic equiped, unit to unit (2 strands of orange stiff cable), and do you have a CD changer?

Very likely you could replace your existing unit with the Mr12V with only half the hassle.....or maybe not.

How hard can it be...

1. I'm not that handy :)

2. The FM transmitter is a simple plug into the cigarette lighter one

3. I assume it's MOST (997.1) PCM2.1 with CD changer and the factory telephone

4. Yes

5. See point 1 above!

Hopefully someone can help me with this one. I’m not sure if it’s an issue with me or the car, but I can’t seem to get my stereo to work at all! I’ve tried putting in my favourite Michael Bublè Christmas Album but it just won’t play. It’s like the stereo doesn’t even know that a CD is in there! As for the radio, the reception just seems nonexistent. Any help diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated

28F8D9EE-18CD-4B3B-BD28-98516B7EE829.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

Hopefully someone can help me with this one. I’m not sure if it’s an issue with me or the car, but I can’t seem to get my stereo to work at all! I’ve tried putting in my favourite Michael Bublè Christmas Album but it just won’t play. It’s like the stereo doesn’t even know that a CD is in there! As for the radio, the reception just seems nonexistent. Any help diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated

Have you tried turning the knob on the left to turn the volume up, and the one on the right to change stations??  Or alternatively, try something other than Michael Buble, preferably on 8 track as that is rather a wide slot.....

2 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

That's one of them fully optioned jobbies obviously! ... original purchaser went all out! ...

Must of preferred the sound of the flat 6 music ...

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

That's one of them fully optioned jobbies obviously! ... original purchaser went all out! ...

Must of preferred the sound of the flat 6 music ...

The old Porsche pay more to get less trick. And it damn well gets me every time too

Being one of many PFA members who just read and learn and hardly ever post I followed this thread and installed the Tranzit BLU into my 996 Turbo with out CD stacker.

The unit works great, is easy to install and is really worth considering if you want to keep things original. Now thinking of putting original radio back into  the G series with the Tranzit BLU

reciever