CDR 23 Bluetooth

Merv

Thank you all for the response and feedback. Next question, it seems there are a few different versions to purchase online, what exact model number am I looking for with the Tranzit Blu for my MOST CDR23 unit?

Any any recommendations on where to purchase it online reliably?

Sound Labs know the correct ones.  "Motorola" to "Fakra", IIRC.  It comes with their product if you ask.  Took me all of 30 mins to install. PS you do need the Becker 'keys' (on eBay or I have a spare set).

• 8 months later...

Just fitted the Mr12Volt system to the 996.2 with original PCM2.0, cd changer, Bose and MOST.  I liked the idea of a PCCM+ but it just seems too flawed and buggy to justify the price tag.  Maybe Porsche will make a v2.0 with proper modern features and a properly tested software?  Then again, if they do I guess it'll be five grand instead of three.

Anyhow, got the Mr12Volt working last night after sourcing the closest available adapter harness from SCA and modifying it so I didn't have to damage the original harness with wire taps.  All up and working, can play off the SD card, paired the phone, can stream from the phone (my main requirement for the update) and the car audio works for making and receiving calls but so far only from the phone itself.  The answer and hang up buttons on the PCM do not work.  This is a little annoying as it means you'd need the phone on a cradle and could still perhaps get a ticket even just for touching the phone to answer or hangup.

Has anyone else with a PCM2.0 installed one of these P600 units (LAPower, Mr12Volt, perhaps others) and been able to do basic phone functions via the PCM2.0 buttons?  The sketchy info provided suggests they chould work.

I had the CD changer coded in already but I'm wondering whether one requires the original phone connection (which I didn't have) enabled in the PCM in order for the buttons to work?

Not sure Steve.  I seem to recall that you had to get the changer set to 'off'.  However, it seems that your basic functions streaming and receiving calls through the system work fine? I can't see how the original PCM systems would work the added BT system however. As there question on the UK 996 forum as there are heaps of threads about the NR2.  On the Tranzit I just press the provided button to cancel/end the call.

Elvisattva how did you go with your TranzitBlu?

Hi Merv,

Thanks for that.  The info page from the manufacturer suggests it allows "Hands-free calling directly from the car stereo via Bluetooth".  Anything phone related I try to do from the head unit just does nothing shows a "Phone not available" message on the screen.  But clearly the bluetooth module part of the Mr12Volt is working, it just has not interface with the PCM.  I'll send a question to the makers but suspect the answer will be I need to get the phone enabled on the PCM via PIWIS or similar.

• 4 months later...

Brains trust, I have the CDR-220 & CDC-3 stacker option in my car. What's the best option to allow music streaming (Spotify) whilst retaining a factory look?

Also, as a side note, what is the "cubby" part called that replaces the CD holder in the dash?

242259480_592061918492733_5451200054381146137_n.jpeg

242262823_249393263778012_1328324432261189938_n.jpeg

6 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Brains trust, I have the CDR-220 & CDC-3 stacker option in my car. What's the best option to allow music streaming (Spotify) whilst retaining a factory look?

Unlike the CDR23, I believe the 220 has an AUX input on the deck that means you can easily hook in a bluetooth>AUX device.  Mine's got the CDR23 so not speaking from experience, but hopefully a nudge in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Steve996 said:

Unlike the CDR23, I believe the 220 has an AUX input on the deck that means you can easily hook in a bluetooth>AUX device.  Mine's got the CDR23 so not speaking from experience, but hopefully a nudge in the right direction.

No AUX input on the CDR-220, that I can determine, unfortunately.

Hey all.

I went with the Tranzit Blu, and it's been ideal. Visually, it's undetectable so everything still looks original. Regarding functionality, it was exactly as expected. Connects to Spotify and phone calls very easy, I highly recommend it.

I didn't install myself, but had my trusted mechanic install it during a service and the feedback was that it was a straightforward install.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.  I ordered a Mr12Volt system a few weeks ago for my new to me 997.1 and bought a FM modulator from SCA for $50 whilst I waited for the unit to ship.  The modulator was fine but the audio quality wasn't fantastic.  The Mr12Volt arrived in around two weeks and I installed it the same day.  I have Bose + a CD changer so it was a relatively easy install and the sound quality is amazing.  Mounted the phone mic on top of the steering wheel cover and apparently, the sound quality is pretty good (but not 'new car' good - suspect newer cars have better background noise filtering) at the other end.  I actually can't understand what the more expensive uints could do to justify the addional spend as I think the Mr12Volt is absolutely brilliant.  A couple of notes:

*  I have the steering wheel buttons and they work for call pick-up, call end and volume control but I don't beleive 'previous track' or 'next track' works off the wheel (thought it does by using the left and right buttons on the console);

*  the pack I got from Mr12Volt did not include the phone bypass cable (they mention this) so when I start my car now, I get a 'phone cannot be found' message.  I've ordered a bypass cable of eBay (~$10) which apparently will sort that 'problem' out;

*  I'd rate myslef as a 5/10 hack mechanic and I found it pretty easy to install.  If you were only going to use the paper instructions, you'd be in a bit of trouble but there are some awesome tutorials on YouTube which outline every single step.  The only misake I made was plugging the fibre connector loom in the wrong way initially (it's a 50/50 chance as there are only two possible ways but tweirdly, those probabilities always seem to work out with me getting it wrong 90% of the time 🙂) and as the guy in this video made the same mistake, it was clear straight away what I'd done;

*  if you're going to do this and are a bit particular, I'd recommend de-pinning the original wiring from the adaptor and soldering, rather than splicing the wires with the provided 'quick splice' adaptor.  Note that you only need to connect power and earth if you have the Bose/CDC combo.

Like quite a few of you, I thought I'd be first in line for the PCCM+ when it comes out for the 997 but after a few weeks of using this, I'm not going to bother.  I love the standard look and if you're happy to use a phone in a holder with Android Auto or Apple Car Play running off the phone (inc. navigation etc.), then that's all I and most others need.

Greg