Anyone tried these?

Merv

Merv, If you have a 997 with PDK and you want to service/change the PDK oil you will need to check if it has a facility to place the PDK into service mode so that you can purge the oil while refilling. I looked enquired a few weeks ago but did not get a response from the Aust distributor and settled on a Autel Maxsys. 
Warren

No Tiptronic thanks Warren.  I was mostly wondering what value these are and if you can actually delete or modify fault codes?  I assume key codes can't be used.

Hello again Merv - hope you and the Noosa boys are keeping well.

I've been using the Durametric for about 8-9 years - its specifically made for Porsche models from the 996/ 986 onwards. Probably the best $400 tool in my workshop, though you do have to lug the PC down to the car...

The backup from Durametric is also very good.

I’ve got the one that pelican was, and probably still is selling to reset the service code and it does that, I have scrolled through it and although I haven’t had to do anything other than the service reset, it looks like it will do other resets. I also have an Atell, I think that’s the brand for my Audi which I have used to reset a trans sensor code, but also appears to be able to do other things as well 

Many thanks Stephens (plural!).  Most helpful. Does Durametris work on Mac?I will check them out.  Is there an Australian agent for Durametric?

All well here and (instead of our regular Monday Cars and Coffee meetings, we have a weekly socially-distant Zoom meeting with about 15 of the guys and each time one gives (or is giving)  an AV presentation on their exploits (driving Targa Tasmania, Flying F111's, driving at the 'Ring, Chris Bowden on their cars and so on...). Has been a different but enjoyable experience.

Yes. Mike I always find the Windows emulator is slow and ckunky in use and like others, I won't buy software that does not work on Mac platforms. They lose a lot of customers. 

On 26/05/2020 at 11:20, Merv said:

OBD II for Porsche https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Porsche-Multi-systems-POR-II/dp/B011DKBXBK 

Not sure what they would add for a 996/7 however.  Only diagnostics?

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Planning to use it to reset the service light on my 987 when I change the oil next. It’s supposed to be able to read Porsche codes and do the service reset. I’ll post about after I’ve used it if you’re interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

Merv I used the iCarSoft unit today, seemed to work fine. It's actually better built than I expected, feels pretty solid. Doesn't have a touch screen, selections are all made using buttons but it works fine.

I reset my oil service (Service Now) warning no problem - there's an oil reset section just for that. You select your vehicle type or let it work it out automatically. Selecting the oil reset made the cluster beep and then the warning was gone.

I didn't spend much time in the diagnostics section, but did find one warning about my left hand door, presumably related to the floppy handle due to the broken plastic axle in the door I need to fix.

For about $200, you can't really go wrong I think.

I've uploaded a bunch of photos of the screen, showing the models it supports and the different diagnostic sections it has.

menu.thumb.jpg.e51b76ba5b550d6be4d43d4c6c14b056.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

Good man!  Thanks for this.  Can I ask which model-year of P-car you used it on?  I have a 996 (TT).  And you don't need to interface it with a PC? (I believe it is hadn't held only, but you may need to register it for software updates on a PC)

It looks to be good enough to do what you want without paying for some aspects that you won't use regularly, or at all.

6 hours ago, Merv said:

Good man!  Thanks for this.  Can I ask which model-year of P-car you used it on?  I have a 996 (TT).  And you don't need to interface it with a PC? (I believe it is hadn't held only, but you may need to register it for software updates on a PC)

It looks to be good enough to do what you want without paying for some aspects that you won't use regularly, or at all.

I used it on a 987 Boxster S. No computer required, it's a hand held unit that looks generic and comes preloaded with Porsche specific diagnostic programmes.

If you just want to reset the Service Now warning or check/reset error codes I think it would be fine. Let me know if there's anything in particular you were looking for in the menu options and I'll have a look