OBD2 Scanners / Reader For 996

Michael P

Hi All

Exploring the world of ODB2 scanners and getting mixed feedback on what will / wont work with my 2004 996 Turbo.

I'm looking to really understand my car a bit better in terms of performance metrics, and have the opportunity to understand and clear codes as they arise. 

Durametric looks to be the (big daddy) which is both compatible and does everything, albeit its pricey.

Somewhere in between are the icarsoft handheld devices

I like the concept of using my phone vs handheld, which means exploring Veepeak and Blue Driver and associated apps such as Torque and OBD Fusion. Both N.American products which I'm not sure will work on a pre 2006 Australian delivered car.

Sorry if this has been covered at length elsewhere (I did a search) but would appreciate it if people could share their experiences.

Cheers

Mike

4 hours ago, Michael P said:

Hi All

Exploring the world of ODB2 scanners and getting mixed feedback on what will / wont work with my 2004 996 Turbo.

I'm looking to really understand my car a bit better in terms of performance metrics, and have the opportunity to understand and clear codes as they arise. 

Durametric looks to be the (big daddy) which is both compatible and does everything, albeit its pricey.

Somewhere in between are the icarsoft handheld devices

I like the concept of using my phone vs handheld, which means exploring Veepeak and Blue Driver and associated apps such as Torque and OBD Fusion. Both N.American products which I'm not sure will work on a pre 2006 Australian delivered car.

Sorry if this has been covered at length elsewhere (I did a search) but would appreciate it if people could share their experiences.

Cheers

Mike

If you are in stock guise and into digital gauges,  just buy a cobb accessport and enjoy the circa 60 odd hp and light and day  better throttle response as a free kick ( 91/93 Ron  off the shelf tunes come loaded with the accessport .  Ps you can mount the cobb accessport like a phone.  It has enough  boost related performance dials on tap in the form of digital dials based on ecu data  and reads for fault codes.   If you don't need the dials on the run but more interested in data and fault codes and clearing and slight coding tweaks as,  you note  its a durametric,  which is  laptop centric. Other than that, unless you get something which is custom built from a tuner that runs with their tune and has some durametric like functionality, wasting your time looking at anything else.  

Ps  just a view but the boost gauge is the most important performance gauge on a 996 turbo  and you already have one.  Then after that it's an old school circa 100 odd dollar boost leak tester with an old school pressure gauge hooked up to  an aircompressor and some soapy water in a spray bottle to check for boost leaks.  If you can't get maximum boost or cars performance is off and no standard dash fault lights,   it's boost leak pressure testing time as opposed to any obd2 plug ins.

Performance measurement wise you'd want a VBOX.  If you want data logging from an engine/system perspective they're easily available but I don't see the requirement if its stock, but appreciate the ability to clear codes.

If you go down the modification route the best out there reputation wise and results in my view is Kevin at UMW, he's got a data logger also

Cheers for the advice all. Have the Cobb unit on my radar, but not quite in tune mode just yet. Will chance it and order a cheaper Veepeak unit and see if it works. I can always use it on my other cars if not. Wasn't aware of Kevin so thanks for that. I guess when I get to the question of performance upgrades not sure if I will rely on custom tuners outside Australia - perhaps I'll have no choice. Will see.

The tuning questions is an interesting one.  Kevin's done both my TTs and they've been great, I've had his tune and turbo package on my 996 for 9 years now.

I went with Kevin as he only does the 911 turbo platform, nothing else.  Each car is data logged and a custom tune developed with back and forth based on subsequent data logging when the tune is in.  I decided it was easier to go with someone who knows the platform intimately and only does them (i.e. has hundred of tunes in these cars on this platform) than with someone local who's done a fraction of that.

Plenty of capable and competent workshops around.  PR Tech in Sydney do great work and have their own dyno in-house.  There's also nothing I've heard but good things from Autohaus