Planes - Trains -automobiles - covid cannonball ideas please sirs

michel

I was hoping @symsy would be my ...John Candy ... never mind 

doing a drive from Adelaide via mlb -country Vic- - country Nsw - Canberra 

gents give me your superlative drive ideas . will take A 3-4 day drive 

leaving adelaide Friday arvo

p.s if anyone has something small they want ferried Adl- mlb let me know 

You have a few options from Adelaide . Adelaide to Tailem Bend shoot off through the Coorong to Kingston or Robe over to Penola ,Casterton ,Dunkeld to Ballarat into Melbourne .

Adelaide through to Horsham down through the Grampians (about 5 hours ) to Halls Gap through to Dunkeld Ballarat etc . 

From Melbourne The Bonang Highway ( starts at Orbost )  is great through to Bombala Cooma to Canberra .

Heaps of good roads in the Snowies. I love roads like Elliot Way, Granya Gap Rd etc. However I was up their in March and many roads are still bushfire affected. I'd suggest if you are going up in thedse areas to contact the local Tourist Info group and get the local knowledge on their conditions.

Also, if you come into Geelong, let me know. If timing is right we could do a coffee or lunch. 

Giddy up. 

others may have some ideas on SA to VIC section but I would just put the head down and get to VIC, from there

- do GOR in reverse from pt Campbell to Apollo bay, if traffic light run through to Torquay , if traffic heavy go over the hills at skeens creek out to deans marsh then geelong (roads rating for g series p car =8/10)

- if tons of time, punch across Melbourne and do Warburton to Marysville, then onto Mansfield via Alexandra. (Rating 9/10)

-if not much time but want non freeway, go geelong to bacchus marsh, Up to gisbourne, lancefield, across to yea then to Mansfield (rating 7/10, pretty touring stage)

- Mansfield to Milawa then Beechworth,  good touring stage with some good 2/3 gear twisters out of Mansfield, lunch at king valley at pizzini.(7.5/10)

- Beechworth to lake Hume village (Riverina Highway), toilet stop, adjust belts, deep breath and get set for the best sections of road in Australia. Follow B58 over bridge becoming C542 then C546 through to Khancoban, really starts cooking now, tighten belts again,  khancoban to Tom groggin then to Jindabyne is coco bananas, perfect sealed roads in good condition to keep the skiers safe (no dirt sections) avoid dusk for kangaroos (rating 11/10 highlight of trip) just check req for chains to be carried as it is Australia’s highest road / racetrack.

- Jindabyne to tumut on the B72, great high roads, very pretty. Consider some of the smaller sealed roads that go via the hydro schemes, unbelievable. Can have all the fun you need way under the posted 100kph (rating 9.5+/10)

tumit - home via your gps, fun park ride finished now I’m afraid.

not having a crack at SA or any other roads, but that snowy hydro section is superb. I once did an hour section in a BMW E46 M3 manual, got to the end and turned round and did it again. Was there 3 hours, in a lather of sweat, never crossed the median strip, never broke 100kph. Can still hear the straight six engine howling away happily at 8,000 rpm, sound bouncing off the rock walls.

enjoy, v jelious 

Ps. On my scale 7/10 is pretty good, not white knuckle but worth making the effort to do

pss. If you are in a p car, buy some $10 black race tape and do your rear guards where they flare (just pull it off when you get home), I patina’d a brand new paint job in the snowies by buying too stupid to think of this, no good seeing a grown man cry

2 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

Giddy up. 

others may have some ideas on SA to VIC section but I would just put the head down and get to VIC, from there

- do GOR in reverse from pt Campbell to Apollo bay, if traffic light run through to Torquay , if traffic heavy go over the hills at skeens creek out to deans marsh then geelong (roads rating for g series p car =8/10)

- if tons of time, punch across Melbourne and do Warburton to Marysville, then onto Mansfield via Alexandra. (Rating 9/10)

-if not much time but want non freeway, go geelong to bacchus marsh, Up to gisbourne, lancefield, across to yea then to Mansfield (rating 7/10, pretty touring stage)

- Mansfield to Milawa then Beechworth,  good touring stage with some good 2/3 gear twisters out of Mansfield, lunch at king valley at pizzini.(7.5/10)

- Beechworth to lake Hume village (Riverina Highway), toilet stop, adjust belts, deep breath and get set for the best sections of road in Australia. Follow B58 over bridge becoming C542 then C546 through to Khancoban, really starts cooking now, tighten belts again,  khancoban to Tom groggin then to Jindabyne is coco bananas, perfect sealed roads in good condition to keep the skiers safe (no dirt sections) avoid dusk for kangaroos (rating 11/10 highlight of trip) just check req for chains to be carried as it is Australia’s highest road / racetrack.

- Jindabyne to tumut on the B72, great high roads, very pretty. Consider some of the smaller sealed roads that go via the hydro schemes, unbelievable. Can have all the fun you need way under the posted 100kph (rating 9.5+/10)

tumit - home via your gps, fun park ride finished now I’m afraid.

not having a crack at SA or any other roads, but that snowy hydro section is superb. I once did an hour section in a BMW E46 M3 manual, got to the end and turned round and did it again. Was there 3 hours, in a lather of sweat, never crossed the median strip, never broke 100kph. Can still hear the straight six engine howling away happily at 8,000 rpm, sound bouncing off the rock walls.

enjoy, v jelious 

Ps. On my scale 7/10 is pretty good, not white knuckle but worth making the effort to do

pss. If you are in a p car, buy some $10 black race tape and do your rear guards where they flare (just pull it off when you get home), I patina’d a brand new paint job in the snowies by buying too stupid to think of this, no good seeing a grown man cry

No have a crack at SA . Anything 100 km out of Adelaide is boring as hell .

You interstaters have it nailed for weekenders this 

• 5 weeks later...

Gents I got my camera gear packed and ready for another covid crossborder cannonball mash

33C7499F-120B-4CB6-8D42-1018C43CB93F.jpe

this time takin my 14 yr old track diva with me 

Train leaves  to sydney wed morning . On the flight to adl, same day arriving wed arvo .

Collect automobile and then see some rellos in Loxton,  before heading east and multiple border x-ings to Canbra.

anyone with suggestions , tasty pre pak drive snacks, good vanilla slice pies, thick shakes and good roads please let us know.

and post up maps , snack recipes etc  here