Do nineties 993 airbags still work?

550Spyder

After providing some free advice to another forum member this week about how he should buy a 993, I have had a thought bubble about buying a 993 convertible instead of a 981 Boxster (yes I know they are made from spaghetti but that air cooled sound track and no roof has really got me thinking).

Does anyone have actual knowledge if mid 1990s airbags can still be relied upon to deploy / work given they are now 25 years old and I can’t think of any servicing that gets done to the sensors or the unit?

4 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

After providing some free advice to another forum member this week about how he should buy a 993, I have had a thought bubble about buying a 993 convertible instead of a 981 Boxster (yes I know they are made from spaghetti but that air cooled sound track and no roof has really got me thinking).

Does anyone have actual knowledge if mid 1990s airbags can still be relied upon to deploy / work given they are now 25 years old and I can’t think of any servicing that gets done to the sensors or the unit?

There will be both a Targa and Cab coming up at auction in Tassie in a little while.  Had another look over the Targa this morning, will try to find out likely auction timing.  I will post on the forum when they come up in any case.

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

TasTH - yours?

No, don't possess such toys.  Not sure who the owner is / was, believe it might have been a deceased estate.  The Targa I looked at this morning needed a heap of new body rubbers, and the clearcoat on the bonnet was flaking.  + was a Tip.  Few $$$ to be spent I reckon before it would be a nice car.  Believe the Cab is away having some work done, no idea what is being done though.

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

No, don't possess such toys.  Not sure who the owner is / was, believe it might have been a deceased estate.  The Targa I looked at this morning needed a heap of new body rubbers, and the clearcoat on the bonnet was flaking.  + was a Tip.  Few $$$ to be spent I reckon before it would be a nice car.  Believe the Cab is away having some work done, no idea what is being done though.

got any photos Tas?

1 minute ago, Jason E said:

got any photos Tas?

Not yet Jason, it's all locked up and they won't open the doors until it goes up for auction.  Possibly will be back in there Wednesday so will will see if I can get some exterior shots

12 hours ago, Jason E said:

Thanks Tas, did they mention colour at all?  (God I love a 993)

Both dark colours, the Targa was in very poor light, don;t think it was black but was either dark blue or dark gray I think,  so probably either Blue Pearl Metallic, Ocean Blue Metallic or Black Pearl Metallic.  Anyway I'll take a photo of the Vin plate next time and you can see if you can dig up something from that

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Both dark colours, the Targa was in very poor light, don;t think it was black but was either dark blue or dark gray I think,  so probably either Blue Pearl Metallic, Ocean Blue Metallic or Black Pearl Metallic.  Anyway I'll take a photo of the Vin plate next time and you can see if you can dig up something from that

Thanks Tas.

@Jason E tried to send PM, shows you're unable to receive messages.

I ended up at the auctioneer's today, and took some pics for you.   You may be able to get the build and options details from the VIN.  Car looks to be a metallic grey when I looked at it in a little better light.  Apparently they're going to get the clear peeling and a crack in the bumper "attended to".  The Cab is expected to be back in another week or so.  They said some local mechanic wanted to charge them $1000 for some work they didn't think was necessary......  I did try to tell him that probably wouldn't be unreasonable.....  Anyway, we'll see what transpires.  If a deal I'm working on with a mate comes off we'll be in there a bit over the next week or so anyway.

cheers

peter

20200601_131346_resized.jpg

20200601_131414_resized.jpg

Inked20200601_131434_resized (002)_LI.jpg

20200601_131402_resized.jpg

41 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

@Jason E tried to send PM, shows you're unable to receive messages.

I ended up at the auctioneer's today, and took some pics for you.   You may be able to get the build and options details from the VIN.  Car looks to be a metallic grey when I looked at it in a little better light.  Apparently they're going to get the clear peeling and a crack in the bumper "attended to".  The Cab is expected to be back in another week or so.  They said some local mechanic wanted to charge them $1000 for some work they didn't think was necessary......  I did try to tell him that probably wouldn't be unreasonable.....  Anyway, we'll see what transpires.  If a deal I'm working on with a mate comes off we'll be in there a bit over the next week or so anyway.

cheers

peter

20200601_131346_resized.jpg

20200601_131414_resized.jpg

Inked20200601_131434_resized (002)_LI.jpg

20200601_131402_resized.jpg

Thanks very much Tas.  (I've fixed the PM thing now).

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2020 at 15:41, TwoHeadsTas said:

OK, car up for auction - on line, ending I think next Wednesday evening.

Here are details:  https://www.tullochsauctions.com.au/lot/67299759/1996-porsche-911-993-carrera-targa/?cpage=4&q=&ref=catalog

I will be in there tomorrow hopefully picking up the parts Boxster we bought, so I can take piccies of anything anyone particularly wants that isn't covered in their photos.  Also happy to help with pickup or anything else anybody needs assistance with

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I can take piccies of anything anyone particularly wants that isn't covered in their photos.  Also happy to help with pickup or anything else anybody needs assistance with

That’s a very kind offer from you, good forum spirit 👍

Just now, Stepo said:

That’s a very kind offer from you, good forum spirit 👍

Just read the info about it firing but not starting.  I believe my mechanic has looked at the car, I'm seeing him tomorrow and will check what he knows.  Car is Aventurine Green as per @Jason E