Rebuild cost of 997

550Spyder

I was looking at a 996 for sale in Melbourne on CS. Seller disclosed that engine had lunched the IMS and it had been replaced by “a brand new engine” at an OPC incl. new clutch for $21k.

Has anyone been through a similar process of a new crate engine or a rebuild of a 996/997 at a recognised engine builder?

What sort of cost?

are new engines nil km engines or one with modest km?

i had in my mind that a 911 IMS failure was a $30k+ event. A $20k event still isn’t great but would likely spend that to freshen up an air cooled High miler. Yes I know they are not common but they are not unheard of and doing 50% of the car value in an oily mess is still an attention grabber.

Dripola.

Appreciate you sharing what can’t have been a great experience. On the bright side with the latest and greatest IMS, resleeved bores and new internals hopefully you have 25 years of trouble free motoring ahead of you.

it is helpful to understand the financial metrics.

2 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

Dripola.

Appreciate you sharing what can’t have been a great experience. On the bright side with the latest and greatest IMS, resleeved bores and new internals hopefully you have 25 years of trouble free motoring ahead of you.

it is helpful to understand the financial metrics.

Thanks 550Spyder, it was a shock to the system at the time(2-3 years ago). On a more positive note, I’ve just bought a M96.03 that needs to be rebuilt. Thinking of doing it for the challenge or parting it out and keeping some of the parts as spares. I’m pretty sure I could rebuild a short block with nickies for less than $10k, I’ve learnt a lot since then.