996.2 Targa roof and rear hatch won't work

911Targa

Hi, this is my first post to the forum and I hope someone can help.

I live in Melbourne Australia and getting the run around trying to find answers and someone to look at the issues below:

Got my 911 Targa (MY2003) just on 3 years ago.
A few months ago, the hatch wouldn't suck down and close fully, unless the battery was disconnected and reconnected.
Soon after (from memory), the Targa roof became a little sluggish to open and close, but repeatedly using the button would see it get open or closed eventually - it soon ceased to move altogether, fortunately it was closed. Now, the hatch won't open at all. disconnecting the battery, for like an hour, and reconnecting makes no difference.

I read there are delicate micro switches / adjustments / lub issues / ECU / etc. The roof was sliding fine before the problems started and is always cleaned and lubed annually during it's service. The fuse (D3 from what I can work out) looks fine and I swapped it also.

I presume the "hatch closed" sensor is blocking the roof sliding and vice versa.
I have tried to manually crank the roof in case it was a little open and hadn't triggered the micro switches (method as per "emergency close" procedure in Owners Manual using the allen key/handles) but it's tight as anything and won't move open or closed (both motors).
Do you have any suggestions? The recommended auto electrician, that Porsche dealers and my regular guy send all the work to, says 911 electric Targa roofs are the only thing he won't touch these days. This leaves me with no-one other than mechanics who will have a go and are likely to replace one thing after another until they finally get it working, all at my expense.

Currently, I have flicked the catch on the hatch and it is unlocked/open, and now won't close properly - no solenoid operation at all to suck it closed - so an open rear hatch and closed Targa roof - neither working with key fob button or switched inside car/on door sill :(

I'm more mechanically handy than body/electrics, but would love to know if there is some diagnostics I can do to narrow the issues down a bit and would welcome all suggestions or repairer recommendations (Victoria) if you have personal experience with repair of your 996/997 Targa roof.

Many thanks in advance,
Frank.

1ID-8XP.3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...