Another 911 3.0 Motor Rebuild

Mike D'Silva

1 hour ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Hey Mike, just how accurate are those super duper electronic torque wrenches like the one on your work bench?

They look the dogs nuts - are they generic or (like mechanical types) they come in different qualities and prices?

I'd love one 😋

hmm... I hope they are very accurate! That particular wrench is a Warren & Brown.. I use it as it does torque and angle. 

When I was young, I was told to buy quality tools only; they should last a lifetime. 

Aaah thanks - W&B has a really good rep, I still have my Moore & Wright micrometers from the 1960's when I was a snotty nosed 16 year old electrical apprentice.

None of my electrical apprentice cohorts had micrometers but I was into building a (broken again) Norton Dominator so good tools were high on the buying list.  The M&R tools were a lot better quality than the engines I worked on except for my Velocette which was really well designed and built.... 

15 minutes ago, TDW911 said:

Hi Mike

Who do you use for the vapour blasting- look fantastic 

Brisbane Vapour Blasting - Michael is his name. 0444597648

NIce guy, absolute perfectionist. Great to deal with. Excellent equipment.

https://www.facebook.com/Brisbane-Vapour-Blasting-and-RV-Electrical-113433120122066/

2 hours ago, Coastr said:

What was the diagnosis on this one?  DIdn't count all the head studs but they look intact.  Valve springs are done?   Oil leak was from the top of the engine?

Bruce, engine was in fairly decent health, however had oil leaks almost everywhere. All head studs in tact and bottom row was still dilavar. We changed to all steel and replaced top row while there. Alusil cylinders and pistons replaced with nikasil. 3 broken valve springs so all new springs installed. Distributor seized so was sent off for rebuilding. Bearings were in decent condition but showed some wear. Engine did not have too many oil changes.. no debris inside but lots of oil staining. All in all, quite a nice engine to work on. 

Possibly all the above. 

The owner said 5th gear would whine a bit.. and some of the shifting was a little 'reluctant'.

Turns out 5th gear was all chewed up. The hardening surface seems to be all gone. And metal burrs were actually being ground off the tips of the teeth; they were sharp and could cut you.

I suspect that it was run for too long with a low oil level.. 5th gear is the gearset that seems to suffer first and it seems it ran hot and started doing a lot of damage. The needle roller was pretty much carboned up and was very difficult to remove from the gearset. Turns out, the inside bore of the gear was out of round ever so slightly. The roller and gearset needed replacing. The 5th gear dog teeth were ground down to be assymetrical! and the 5th/rev slider was also ruined. So that needed replacing too.

3/4 slider was worn and 1st @ 2nd gear dog teeth were also worn. These were all replaced with new parts,  and new syncro bands too.

We also tried a different gear oil at the suggestion of a freind. He shared a compilation of specifications of gear oils and we tried a penrite product which is supposed to have very similar specs to swepco 201. I have only driven the car 20 minutes or so, but have to say, it works extremely well !