Brock: over the top

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Redracn said:

I have been wondering what he must have been on to hook up with Daytona Sports (kit) cars. 

You do know the Daytona coupe (replica) he was killed in was designed by Pete Brock the American sports car designer, nothing to do with “our” Brock.

from memory the Daytona Belonged to Mick Hone who was a pretty gun road race guy in his day. 

10 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

You do know the Daytona coupe (replica) he was killed in was designed by Pete Brock the American sports car designer, nothing to do with “our” Brock.

from memory the Daytona Belonged to Mick Hone who was a pretty gun road race guy in his day. 

The Daytona silhouette only replica Brocky died in was built by Daytona Sports Cars in Melbourne which is owned by Richard Bendell. The car he died in was also owned by Richard Bendell. They are not true replicas but essentially kit cars assembled from various parts of other cars with custom frames/suspension and moulded plastic bodies for the Daytona silhouette. Nothing to do with Peter Brock the USA sports car designer. 

Ack. 

i suspect Pete Brock (us) never saw a cent from the thousands of replicas / siloettes the past 50 years. Still a classic shape.

i believe the mike boreland did much of the “underneath”, he would be Australia’s #1 single seater constructor.

I bought a Blue Brockie from Peter perfect and came with a 5 day driver training at Mallala race track in 86.

it was very eventful and showed how piss weak those commondoors are but what was really weird was his new found christian out-look as he told me off for using the Lord's name in vain on several occasions. Lost respect for him right there and with his new believes he practised the opposite of what he preached all of teh sudden.

As a teenager I must have read every article going on those HDT cars. I just thought they were so amazing. In hindsight they were actually pretty agricultural bits of kit. I look at some of the big $ auction results with some amazement, however what price on living your dreams so good luck to them.

That VK “blue meanie” I reckon was the best of the bunch, a great striking colour, those brilliant scheel seats and those (irmenscher?) aero wheels made them look S Hot. Still turns my head today. 

2 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

As a teenager I must have read every article going on those HDT cars. I just thought they were so amazing. 

Totally understand this feeling @550Spyder, we were probably both reading the same magazines.  Hindsight allows us to see through the glamour. 

4 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

That VK “blue meanie” I reckon was the best of the bunch, a great striking colour, those brilliant scheel seats and those (irmenscher?) aero wheels made them look S Hot. Still turns my head today. 

Those wheels were definitely one of my favourite parts.  Irmscher. 

Some replicas available:

https://hdt.com.au/product/ve-19inch-irmscher-wheel-decal/

58 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

I can only see two options, stupid or liar, if there is a third please enlighten me

Steve I kinda think a little mislead and brainwashed at that time and even somewhat naive  ...

During that period of his life he got involved with a alternative lifestyle practitioner Eric Dowker.

Dowker got Brock off the Cigarettes and the booze and  heavily influenced Peter with his beliefs off alternative medicines and the healing properties of Crystals and other alternative remedies etc ..  

Brock got caught up in all this and believed 100% that it was all positive towards his health and well being and totally changed his lifestyle based on Dowkers teachings ..More than likely just getting of the Booze and the Cigarettes and cleaning up his diet and lifestyle was what made him feel better , but Brock truly believed it was Eric Dowkers doing ..

One of the most  controversial spin offs from all this healing power of Crystals belief was the energy polarizer ,that is essentially a plastic box filled with resin with a crystal inside it .

Brock believed so strongly that the Crystals were so beneficial and positive for him ,that it would also have a positive and beneficial effect on the Cars he was building at the time .???? 

The Power brokers at Holden didn,t agree with Brock and after  extensive independent testing saw the Polariser as all a load of hocus pocus crap..Its did nothing and GMH didn,t want a bar of it and told Brock to drop it ..

This and a number of other Disagreements with the top men at Holden Eg the release of the VL Director without GMH approval  eventually lead to Brocks downfall and saw the end of the Brock Commodores literally overnight ....

The saddest aspect off his downfall was the large number of people he employed to produce his version of the Commodore ,,many who had pleaded with Brock to  let things go and not upset the GMH big shoots regardless of his beliefs .

These loyal employes sadly all lost their jobs due to Brock,s decisions at that time ...

38 minutes ago, Raven said:

Steve I kinda think a little mislead and brainwashed at that time and even somewhat naive  ...

During that period of his life he got involved with a alternative lifestyle practitioner Eric Dowker.

Dowker got Brock off the Cigarettes and the booze and  heavily influenced Peter with his beliefs off alternative medicines and the healing properties of Crystals and other alternative remedies etc ..  

Brock got caught up in all this and believed 100% that it was all positive towards his health and well being and totally changed his lifestyle based on Dowkers teachings ..More than likely just getting of the Booze and the Cigarettes and cleaning up his diet and lifestyle was what made him feel better , but Brock truly believed it was Eric Dowkers doing ..

One of the most  controversial spin offs from all this healing power of Crystals belief was the energy polarizer ,that is essentially a plastic box filled with resin with a crystal inside it .

Brock believed so strongly that the Crystals were so beneficial and positive for him ,that it would also have a positive and beneficial effect on the Cars he was building at the time .???? 

The Power brokers at Holden didn,t agree with Brock and after  extensive independent testing saw the Polariser as all a load of hocus pocus crap..Its did nothing and GMH didn,t want a bar of it and told Brock to drop it ..

This and a number of other Disagreements with the top men at Holden Eg the release of the VL Director without GMH approval  eventually lead to Brocks downfall and saw the end of the Brock Commodores literally overnight ....

The saddest aspect off his downfall was the large number of people he employed to produce his version of the Commodore ,,many who had pleaded with Brock to  let things go and not upset the GMH big shoots regardless of his beliefs .

These loyal employes sadly all lost their jobs due to Brock,s decisions at that time ...

so brainwashed into stupid then

It’s a fascinating story really- nobody is immune from magical thinking.  I do feel for the people that got done over in the deal through no fault of their own.

Charlatans are everywhere - whether liars or fools is always impossible to untangle.  But they trap people of all stripes in their webs.   They’ve only got to provide a ‘why’ for an outcome and it’s easy to create a self fulfilling prophecy - eg crystals make you feel better when you stop drinking and smoking.  Once you believe the crystals are healing you a placebo feedback loop gets going and you’re more likely to stay on track with the things that are actually helping.  Add in an ‘us v them’ narrative and it self reinforces.

i was never a big brock fan but I wish he was still around.

Imagine in 3020 they're running cars from crystal energy talking about how stupid we were not to get it sooner. 😃

Can you imagine a boy whacking together a paddock basher having fun thrust into an egocentric corporate shark tank and navigating all the bs totally successfully. 

Aussie lad had a great run of fun anyway.

Used to own a red VC Brockadore ( number 492) and loved that car.

Gave me more smiles than the Ferrari 308 GT4 I had at the same time.

Sure it wasn't the fastest kid on the block but it looked and sounded fantastic ( and it certainly wasn't slow ).

Also have fond memories of a blue meanie being punted around Mallala in the mid 80's giving 930's a run for their money.

Only met Peter Brock once and that was by chance in Kununurra.

Pretty well agree with everything Raven said.

4 hours ago, Raven said:

,,many who had pleaded with Brock to  let things go and not upset the GMH big shoots regardless of his beliefs .

GMH pleaded with him as well and gave him so many "second chances" to come to his senses.  They certainly didn't want to sack him as he generated good income and priceless goodwill amongst the fans.

Bill Tuckey's book on Peter (and John Harvey) is well worth a read.  

DSC06396_1024x1024.JPG?v=1519717181

• 2 months later...