Lotus build - Coventry climax engine and other bits - lotus build

michel

Doing a daughter dad project .. as for her year 9-10 major project they have a self directed Open subject 

as I have my uncles 1963 S2 Seven or, what remains of it .. literally rebuilt chassis and some suspension members , windscreen frame and scuttle and nose cone.- daughter wants to do this 

been thinking about Engine choices and ford lump is a likely option , as is A series etc 

though thinking about climax motor or modified fire pump engine .alternate could be Hillman imp

so if anyone has a motor or leads for one please advise 

same for other parts etc As it’s a complete build 

cheers 

Respectfully, (or not), this is the wrong forum for your question.

Try this one.

The membership is helpful, fun and it is an excellent community.   Just as here. 

You could do worse than joining one of the Club Lotus chapters. 

If your S3 is a genuine Lotus it would probably have come with the Ford derived Lotus twin cam.  Expensive but fun. 

1963 would've been at the end of the pre-crossflow Ford 1500 cc engine period (Cortina GT Mk1) so you could, if the Twin Cam is out of reach, try and source one of those engines (Getting scarce) or go to a more readily available crossflow (think Formula Ford).

The best engineer that I know for these engines is Garth Selig, of Repair and Restoration in Wetherill Park.  Amazing guy.  He can make these engines really, really angry.  The blue GSM Dart in this photograph has one of his engines, a pre x-flow 1500cc Ford.  Shown here at lap 1, entering Turn 2 at the creek, mixing it with cars that should've just walked away from it, especially given the geriatric pilot.  No guessing who. 

Garth more usually works on engines like the one in this car, but does my engine building and tuning because over the years we've become mates, and I turned to him for help when my engines wouldn't even last through practise.  He tells me that "It is all in the data" and although his normal sphere of activity is cars like the Bentley pictured, Rolls Royce, Hispano Suiza and other exotics, he does the engine building and tuning for performance cars because he enjoys making them outperform.  A few of us have our cars prepared by him and without exception they are at the front of their class.

2 hours ago, sydr said:

Respectfully, (or not), this is the wrong forum for your question.

Try this one.

The membership is helpful, fun and it is an excellent community.   Just as here. 

You could do worse than joining one of the Club Lotus chapters. 

If your S3 is a genuine Lotus it would probably have come with the Ford derived Lotus twin cam.  Expensive but fun. 

1963 would've been at the end of the pre-crossflow Ford 1500 cc engine period (Cortina GT Mk1) so you could, if the Twin Cam is out of reach, try and source one of those engines (Getting scarce) or go to a more readily available crossflow (think Formula Ford).

The best engineer that I know for these engines is Garth Selig, of Repair and Restoration in Wetherill Park.  Amazing guy.  He can make these engines really, really angry.  The blue GSM Dart in this photograph has one of his engines, a pre x-flow 1500cc Ford.  Shown here at lap 1, entering Turn 2 at the creek, mixing it with cars that should've just walked away from it, especially given the geriatric pilot.  No guessing who. 

Garth more usually works on engines like the one in this car, but does my engine building and tuning because over the years we've become mates, and I turned to him for help when my engines wouldn't even last through practise.  He tells me that "It is all in the data" and although his normal sphere of activity is cars like the Bentley pictured, Rolls Royce, Hispano Suiza and other exotics, he does the engine building and tuning for performance cars because he enjoys making them outperform.  A few of us have our cars prepared by him and without exception they are at the front of their class.

Respectfully I’d disagree (through the help of another here, I did locate a roadster) and , whilst I Thankyou for the input .. surely, no ‘dumb’  question  irrespective of origin is a bad question.

and it got me some additional info 

2 hours ago, DJM said:

thx for both suggested links .I’ll be passing them to the project manager (Ava) as it’s fore mostly her project , 

I had joined a number of ‘specific forums in the last 48 hours  

cheers