Exhaust

Arne Krix

Hi all, I am looking at changing my exhaust on a 987.1,2.7l Cayman. Not so much for ‘performance’, but a better sound , more ‘Growl’. I read a bit from ‘Fabspeed’ and others , but are there any local options ? And what are the options ? Can you work with the existing?Appreciate any tips,input,opinions . Cheers.

Arnie

the Carnewal modification is excellent. I did this on my 987 Cayman. The sound is very exotic and zero drone at any rpm.

There is a place in sydney who also mods the stock mufflers, but they do not do it anything at all as well as Carnewal (but they are cheap). Reach out to Gert through the website. Very helpful. 

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87007/987-1-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

I have a set of Cayman S (987.1) stock mufflers I would sell, if you want to try cutting a set open yourself. I believe Gert removes the cat converters in the muffler (but you still have a set in your headers) and mods the porting a little in the muffler. I would do it myself, but my welding leaves MUCH to be desired.

You can look up Mako exhausts in sydney. He mods them too, but only for sound. 

12 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I have a set of Cayman S (987.1) stock mufflers I would sell, if you want to try cutting a set open yourself. I believe Gert removes the cat converters in the muffler (but you still have a set in your headers) and mods the porting a little in the muffler. I would do it myself, but my welding leaves MUCH to be desired.

You can look up Mako exhausts in sydney. He mods them too, but only for sound. 

I am thinking on your lines , want to keep my stock exhaust , ( in pristine condition ) , that way I am able to convert back , if that ever becomes necessary. And yes, I can see how the 'refund' sending my exhaust back to them will be seriously eaten into by shipping cost. You'll be better of to sell locally. I just want to bolt off/on and be done with. For $200 bucks or so , I can't see myself rolling around in the dirt , breaking things , bloodied knuckles , lots of swearing....🤬, rather go to Dandenong exhaust , wait with a cuppa and enjoy the new sound on the way back home.:Drool:

39 minutes ago, RedMan said:

Hi Arne, I’m getting my 981 muffler cut open by Richard at Rowville Exhaust later this week to repair a rattle. Mine has already been modified by Peter Star so I’ll ask Richard if he can modify a standard muffler.

Much appreciated 

1 hour ago, P-Kay said:

These10K options sound a bit scary.

4 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

Much appreciated 

These10K options sound a bit scary.

Arne you’re somewhere Mt Evelyn way? I’ve had a couple of Gundo hacks done on early Boxsters from David at lilydale exhausts, good prices quick turn around. He mentioned to me once that they’d done similar stuff to above and opened up some bmw mufflers For some good noise....

19 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

Mike.

Are you able to share the cost side with gert? Specifically the postage cost to send your core to Belgium and the postage cost to get the exhaust back to Australia. 

the actual carnewal seems cheap enough, I just fear paying $600+ in postage.

It was a good 5 or 6 years ago I did mine, and I think the exchange rate was much more favorable too. I did not send mine back but bought a set that he had in stock. I still have my original Cayman S mufflers .

If you email Gert, he will happily tell you postage prices now. 

I am talking to Gert as we speak. I think the best deal is to purchase his modified exhaust and return your existing exhaust to Gert. His total quote is inclusive of shipping cost to return your existing exhaust. I think I'll go with it. My understanding so far is , that you pay more , the younger the exhaust. 6000 KM exhaust is more expensive  than 60000KM exhaust. I have to confirm , but the deal seems to be: 1250 Euro for modified back Cat exhaust with 500 Euro refund on returning existing. You receive new gear , have it installed here , and within 3 weeks send back your existing stock exhaust. It is a deal for me. Not keen on 10 K modification.

There might be some savings in doing 2 or 3 modifications at the same time .

5 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

I am talking to Gert as we speak. I think the best deal is to purchase his modified exhaust and return your existing exhaust to Gert. His total quote is inclusive of shipping cost to return your existing exhaust. I think I'll go with it. My understanding so far is , that you pay more , the younger the exhaust. 6000 KM exhaust is more expensive  than 60000KM exhaust. I have to confirm , but the deal seems to be: 1250 Euro for modified back Cat exhaust with 500 Euro refund on returning existing. You receive new gear , have it installed here , and within 3 weeks send back your existing stock exhaust. It is a deal for me. Not keen on 10 K modification.

There might be some savings in doing 2 or 3 modifications at the same time .

You wont regret the Carnewal GT mod ... some try to copy his, but they are no where near as good. 

OK , just placed the order. I am getting 6000KM exhaust back Cat modified , freight to my door for935 Euro. I have to send back my existing exhaust , postage inclusive my purchase price. I am paying initially anther 500 Euro , which will be refunded , once my existing exhaust has been received by Gert in Belgium. They are making some of the best beers in the world , you got to trust them. So , if anybody else jumps in quickly , we save a bit in freight. Looking forward to the sound !!!:wub:

9 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

OK , just placed the order. I am getting 6000KM exhaust back Cat modified , freight to my door for935 Euro. I have to send back my existing exhaust , postage inclusive my purchase price. I am paying initially anther 500 Euro , which will be refunded , once my existing exhaust has been received by Gert in Belgium. They are making some of the best beers in the world , you got to trust them. So , if anybody else jumps in quickly , we save a bit in freight. Looking forward to the sound !!!:wub:

I'm really excited for you mate, I still remember the first drive after installing it ;)

Preview of what it should sound like Arne

Arnie, if I understand correctly, provided you send your exhaust back, your all in cost including postage both ways is €935 ($1650 AUD).

i assume imputed in the price is the fact that the new exhaust is 6,000km while the one you are returning one that is likely >50,000km.

given it remains looking stock for insurance / police purposes, I think that sounds like a pretty good deal. Would definitely appreciate a follow up on both the sound and the logistics / cost of unfitting and refitting and if you needed to buy any replacement brackets / clamps (and if these are just generic or Porsche OEM)

exciting!

Don't make the same mistake I made by installing a Fabspeed exhaust on my 987.1 Boxster S - it droned between 2500 - 3000 rpm. It did pop and crackle on downshifts but the drone got old very quickly. It also moved the powerband up the rev range - lost low end torque - not great for urban driving.

I now own a 987.2 Spyder which the previous owner install one of Gert Carnewal's modded factory exhaust - it doesn't drone but isn't that loud for my taste. I think this has to do with the differences in the exhausts between the 987.1 and 987.2. 

5 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

Arnie, if I understand correctly, provided you send your exhaust back, your all in cost including postage both ways is €935 ($1650 AUD).

i assume imputed in the price is the fact that the new exhaust is 6,000km while the one you are returning one that is likely >50,000km.

given it remains looking stock for insurance / police purposes, I think that sounds like a pretty good deal. Would definitely appreciate a follow up on both the sound and the logistics / cost of unfitting and refitting and if you needed to buy any replacement brackets / clamps (and if these are just generic or Porsche OEM)

exciting!

I’ll keep the progress posted. I am thinking of using my own brackets as they look new and have it fitted locally Dande exhaust or Lilydale. 

3 hours ago, Apogee said:

Don't make the same mistake I made by installing a Fabspeed exhaust on my 987.1 Boxster S - it droned between 2500 - 3000 rpm. It did pop and crackle on downshifts but the drone got old very quickly. It also moved the powerband up the rev range - lost low end torque - not great for urban driving.

I now own a 987.2 Spyder which the previous owner install one of Gert Carnewal's modded factory exhaust - it doesn't drone but isn't that loud for my taste. I think this has to do with the differences in the exhausts between the 987.1 and 987.2. 

Good tip. My car is chip tuned and my torque curve is very different from stock. Very responsive on low revs. I don’t want it too loud , fair enough on a GTS 3 , but I don’t want boy racer for my Cayman. Just that growl that says ‘Porsche’. My tune , lowered and spacers makes it great fun on the ‘twisties’.😇