Exhaust

Arne Krix

On 16/06/2020 at 15:11, Troubleshooter said:

Arne you’re somewhere Mt Evelyn way? I’ve had a couple of Gundo hacks done on early Boxsters from David at lilydale exhausts, good prices quick turn around. He mentioned to me once that they’d done similar stuff to above and opened up some bmw mufflers For some good noise....

You are a Troubleshooter: just came back from Lilydale Exhaust , spoke to Mike 9735 5284 , he'll take my exhaust off , install new exhaust , my twin pipes are welded on , he'll cut them off the old , and weld to the new. $200 , done deal , very happy with that price. Thank you for the tip.🙏

4 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

You are a Troubleshooter: just came back from Lilydale Exhaust , spoke to Mike 9735 5284 , he'll take my exhaust off , install new exhaust , my twin pipes are welded on , he'll cut them off the old , and weld to the new. $200 , done deal , very happy with that price. Thank you for the tip.🙏

Fair price for a good job :Beer:. You'll be scaring kids and outraging women in no time 😱

21 hours ago, Goon said:

Keep us posted regarding the importation process for this - I was engaged with Gerd for one of his Carnewal exhausts, but wasn't sure how the whole import taxes work at the border as the product is north of the $1k mark

Once it is all done I write a detailed summary about the process.😊 Apparently Gert Split into 2 invoices , keeps exhaust below$1000 , no import tax. Maybe GST? Doesn’t really matter. I save myself at least $1000 , looking at Fabspeed and others , and got plenty confirmation that the gear is good.

interesting thing happened today. Got a call and Email from Fed ex , had to download , fill in , sign and return a declaration , that the item I am importing does not contain any Asbestos. Did all of that , and more or less immediately the item was released in Belgium , on the way now.

Just a question for all Cayman folk out there ,I have had my eye on a 987 Cayman purchase ,But with this convid-19 thing have not been able to fly up and have a sticky ,So do not know if I can fit comfortably being  bout 6'2 and around 105 Kg  , So any of you Blokes about the same size and do you fit ok ? Cheers

14 minutes ago, tomo said:

Just a question for all Cayman folk out there ,I have had my eye on a 987 Cayman purchase ,But with this convid-19 thing have not been able to fly up and have a sticky ,So do not know if I can fit comfortably being  bout 6'2 and around 105 Kg  , So any of you Blokes about the same size and do you fit ok ? Cheers

I am about your size , at the moment even a bit heavier than you . I fit in the car , but ‘just’ . Leg room ok , I like to drive more reclined as I could in a 911 , with the mid engine not possible. On serious drives I wear only shirt and no or thin canvass shoes . Big difference , believe it or not . Next step for me will be a thinner sports seat , gives more room and holds you tight in the corners.🙂

Cheers Arne, There's a couple of 987s around the hood here but don’t see them much with the club activities all cancelled, That extra coulple of inches in the 981 could  come into play , The 964 Was a bit weird with the pedal offset but plenty of room once you were in  Cheers  Mate

1 minute ago, tomo said:

Cheers Arne, There's a couple of 987s around the hood here but don’t see them much with the club activities all cancelled, That extra coulple of inches in the 981 could  come into play , The 964 Was a bit weird with the pedal offset but plenty of room once you were in  Cheers  Mate

Don’t get me wrong the 987 is adequate. When I got her I was on my fight weight 95kg. I was in and out of the car like a cat. Now a bit more like brown bear out of hibernation. 10-15 kg makes a big difference. My height as such is no issue.

I now have all my costs and options on hand. My exhaust is in transit. You have 2 options with Gert : outright purchase , or purchase against you sending your existing exhaust back to Gert. To me it looks like the outright purchase with you selling your exhaust yourself , seems the better deal. You also look at a difference in cost , depending on the age of the exhaust ,you purchase .My deal.: Back cat Carnewal exhaust , no brackets or tips , less than 6000km ,$2040 , incl. $245 freight. On top of that $89.81 duty , $188,60 GST , $88  entry fee and $200 installation. That is about $2611 , I now sell my mufflers and original tips ( which are mint ) for $600 , my net expense $2000.

The same deal with a Carnewal exhaust under 60000 km will save $580 . Net expense about $1400 . The deal with you returning your exhaust is $1530 , Duty, GST , Entry fee $300 , installation $200 , your total $2030 . This is about my coin , BUT I finish up with a near new exhaust. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. Cheers:ConfusedGeek:

On 18/06/2020 at 12:02, Arne Krix said:

Once it is all done I write a detailed summary about the process.😊 Apparently Gert Split into 2 invoices , keeps exhaust below$1000 , no import tax. Maybe GST? Doesn’t really matter. I save myself at least $1000 , looking at Fabspeed and others , and got plenty confirmation that the gear is good.

I thought that the no tax for items under $1000 don't apply anymore? That dickhead Gerry Harvey (Owner of Harvey Norman) managed to convince the current LNP government to stick gst on everything coming into the country from overseas even if it costs a $1. 

43 minutes ago, Apogee said:

I thought that the no tax for items under $1000 don't apply anymore? That dickhead Gerry Harvey (Owner of Harvey Norman) managed to convince the current LNP government to stick gst on everything coming into the country from overseas even if it costs a $1. 

Not sure , but I paid on my purchaseGST and duty. I find local pricing more often than not inflated , (probably due to lack of competition ), and import still more cost effective.

Exhaust arrived , booked for install , cant wait . Wouldn’t you know it. I found on the Cayman Group Facebook page photos of a Carnewal exhaust , which shows the insides . Gives you a good idea what needs to be done . In theory you could copy and do it cheap through a local exhaust business. I try to find the pics and upload.😊

30C4172B-18B6-4165-A028-603E3071198B.jpeg

9EDEBF97-3BEE-4BDA-B153-2810190292DE.jpeg

Arnie

thanks for sharing the costs and alternatives. I agree that having substantially a “new” exhaust at the end is a good deal.

obviously keen to get the “post install” wrap up.

i have not read anything about the 987.2 or 981 Carnewal treatments. My understanding is that they have both cats in the pipe work before the muffler rather than having the second cat inside the muffler like the 987.1 does.  I seem to recall someone saying the mod is not quite as loud as it is on 987.1 as I assume the 987.2 gas still needs to pass 2 cats and not one.

your post indicated you were going to sell your tip. What tip are you putting on instead? I like the look of the Fabspeed x pipe which seems to have a significantly better flow and a claimed scavenging effect to pull air through. For such great engineers, Porsche were pretty lazy when they designed the t shaped tips, the flow looks rubbish and I can’t help but think this is a significant reason why Boxsters never same as good as 911s with exactly the same engine.

11 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

i have not read anything about the 987.2 or 981 Carnewal treatments. My understanding is that they have both cats in the pipe work before the muffler rather than having the second cat inside the muffler like the 987.1 does.  I seem to recall someone saying the mod is not quite as loud as it is on 987.1 as I assume the 987.2 gas still needs to pass 2 cats and not one.

As the owner of a 987.2 Cayman, I am interested in feedback on this as well. I have also read that both cats in the 987.2 are in the headers. This suggests that replacing just the headers on a 987.2 with free flowing headers would be the go rather than the cat back exhaust section. There are some headers with 200 cel cats in them and some without any. I assume that removal of both cats will require a tune. Can anyone confirm?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2020 at 23:49, Techno said:

As the owner of a 987.2 Cayman, I am interested in feedback on this as well. I have also read that both cats in the 987.2 are in the headers. This suggests that replacing just the headers on a 987.2 with free flowing headers would be the go rather than the cat back exhaust section. There are some headers with 200 cel cats in them and some without any. I assume that removal of both cats will require a tune. Can anyone confirm?

I remember when I had my car tuned , the chap told me he had made allowance/tuned for future cat removal without further‘ tuning ‚ necessary.

Arne - v exciting ! Well done.

like many others I have been watching vicariously through your purchase. For such a brilliant car Porsche have really tried hard to make them sound rubbish. Many of us are keen to understand if the carnewal can “make it sound like it should”.

if you have the inclination and technology it would be good to get a clip while mobile with some of that crackle and pop.

for reference is yours a 3.4 or 2.7?

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

Arne - v exciting ! Well done.

like many others I have been watching vicariously through your purchase. For such a brilliant car Porsche have really tried hard to make them sound rubbish. Many of us are keen to understand if the carnewal can “make it sound like it should”.

if you have the inclination and technology it would be good to get a clip while mobile with some of that crackle and pop.

for reference is yours a 3.4 or 2.7?

2.7 .

4 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

2.7 .,with the additional free time available now , I'll try to get vision and sound actually driving. Can't tell you how good it sounds :wub:

I just had a good chat with Gert Carnewal in Belgium , giving him feed back , etc. Gert claims the car has to travel at least 100 miles or so for the ECU to adjust to the new airflow and set up . After that you have the final 'product' , so to speak , in terms of sound and response. I guess a bit of essential driving is coming my way. I do the external Go Pro from  there and upload. <_<