How is this meant to work?

Seventy911

Hoping I can get a good consensus on the operation of the heater / defroster controller for a 1970 911 - no AC. Car is at my auto elec right now. We discussed this today and it got me thinking something might not be right? 

Top slider is blower speed to the right. The indicator light In top right window of the unit comes on even with key off / out if any of the three right hand speed positions are selected. Is that normal? No blower though? Does the red lever between the seats turn on the blower or does the slider? Does the engine need to be at temp for blower to run? So I know that the bottom works ok to direct air to glass or feet. 

hoping to get this sorted tomorrow if anyone can kindly help that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pete

If you are referring to the blower in the frunk, then it is the top lever. My 70 is in pieces and I have not seen it in years, however, my 79 has two 'levers' on the top row.

Doing a quick google search shows a single lever on the top row, therefore, I expect when you slide it across to the right? Guess it depends on which control panel you have?

https://www.design911.com/Rennline-Billet-HVAC-control-panel-Porsche-65-89-911-912-930/prod140248/

image.png.529704e7d8d4a8d6b18edc83db350d49.png 

Thanks again! I've come to the same conclusion that the blower is activated at the slider which would make sense given there are 3 speeds (and off). After clearing and painting the fascia a ball bearing fell out of the top slider which is used to "click" it into the different blower speeds. I did get this ball back into position but it fell out again when testing after refitting to the dash. I thought it just provided the positional stop on the slider but now I suspect it provides bending pressure on the lever and contact for the circuit Inside. Let's see once I have the car back and refit the ball .... with some grease this time :)

Hopefully this clears things up:

The ventilation system requires that you operate 4 levers to make it work. 3 of the levers are on the dash, and the other is between the seats -- on newer 911s there are 2 levers between the seats).

The top lever on the dash actually does several different things (remember, it is a fiendish German device, just like the rest of the car). Pushing it to the middle opens the dust ports leading to the windshield (see below for operation of fogging machine and oil mist spray device). Pushing it to the right past the middle also activates the rattling noise-maker device. There are three loudness levels to choose from. Pushing the lever all the way to the left is used to jam the cable so unauthorised personnel cannot operate any of the devices above. The lever also enables the automatic heat exchanger signaling device -- when opening it spews rust particles on the windshield, you should replace the heat exchangers. Also, if opening it causes you to immediately turn blue or purple (not just hair, but skin color) and become unconscious, you (or your estate) should definitely replace the heat exchangers.

The second lever from the top controls the lights on the White House Christmas tree. Move it to the middle to turn on the lights, and all the way to the right to fire 4500 Megatons of Nukes at Iran.

The bottom lever on the dash is used to replace the windshield when it becomes scratched or pitted with rock chips. It also determines how much hot air goes to your feet as opposed to your head. For example, let's say the engine is completely warmed up and the hot air is burning your feet. If it's a cold day, you can flip the lever to the other side and shoot hot air onto the windshield so it cracks and shatters. Then call your insurance company (you do have insurance, don't you?)

The lever between the seats controls the oil mist spray device. When the engine is warmed up, this lever allows you to blow oil mist into the passenger cabin. Using the top dash lever lets you select whether you want the oil mist to coat the inside of the windshield or to just circulate around your feet. On a newer 911s, you have 2 levers on the floor between the seats. The left hand lever lets you open the left side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the right hand seat, and the right hand lever lets you open the right side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the left hand seat. Of course, each lever will also burn just the tops of the feet of the person in the other seat. If you are driving in the rain (or even stopped in the rain after the car has broken down), these levers also let you spray a fog of water vapour on the windshield, so no one can see in or out of the car -- sort of like privacy glass