Is this battery charger suitable?

Hey All,

Hoping you can help a little. I have the charger in the photo at home and just wanted to know if I can use it to charge a car battery.

The reason I ask is that it is from a machine that had 6 x 6 volt deep cycle batteries and was used to charge them frequently. Is it suitable for a single 12V car battery??

Only asking as I have absolutely no idea if it suitable.

Cheers ...

20200619_152527.jpg

At 45amps output I wouldn’t be keeping it hooked up to your battery very long... biggest one I have is 10 amps and that’s a smart charger which varies it’s volts and amps depending on what it’s doing

Nah, Read The Fucking Instructions!  No rolling around and laughter here! 😂

According to the instructions "yes"

I would only use it to get enough charge into a battery to get an engine started.  It's not really a sophisticated trickle charger device.

And remember to remove the cell plugs before charging and be in attendance for safety sake.

4 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Nah, Read The Fucking Instructions!  No rolling around and laughter here!

According to the instructions "yes"

I would only use it to get enough charge into a battery to get an engine started.  It's not really a sophisticated trickle charger device.

And remember to remove the cell plugs before charging for safety sake.

Ahhhh ... my bad! Wrong acronym .. Sorry Pete! .. 😅

It was the 45 amps thing that threw me off .. I've seen most chargers say only a couple of amps.

Thanks to all that offered input. I'll give it a go. I'm really only looking to charge it enough to give it a bit of oomph ... 🙂

Yes it will charge the battery ok. Don’t worry about it having a max output of 45 Amps the battery will only draw that for a short time until the terminal voltage reaches 13.5V and the current will reduce and end up close to 0 all by itself due to the battery charge state increasing. Also 45 Amps is nothing compared to what the car alternator can do after starting the engine so no need for any additional special precautions over a modern smart charger. Although with a vented lead acid always have some ventilation and don’t disconnect the leads while charging as they can generate hydrogen.  
With only 13.5 Volt max output it won’t be able to fully charge a modern car battery. Also at 13.5V leaving it connected and charging won’t hurt but it is not a smart maintenance type charger so not as good for storage situations. Overnight or a week not a problem.

The actual current delivered is proportional to the voltage applied.  Since that is controlled at 13.5 volts it will be less than a modern car alternator which have a voltage output of around 14.5 to 15 volts and current capacity of around 100 amps.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Yes it will charge the battery ok. Don’t worry about it having a max output of 45 Amps the battery will only draw that for a short time until the terminal voltage reaches 13.5V and the current will reduce and end up close to 0 all by itself due to the battery charge state increasing. Also 45 Amps is nothing compared to what the car alternator can do after starting the engine so no need for any additional special precautions over a modern smart charger. Although with a vented lead acid always have some ventilation and don’t disconnect the leads while charging as they can generate hydrogen.  
With only 13.5 Volt max output it won’t be able to fully charge a modern car battery. Also at 13.5V leaving it connected and charging won’t hurt but it is not a smart maintenance type charger so not as good for storage situations. Overnight or a week not a problem.

Thanks for your reply ... all of you 😁

I do know that there is an accessory you can buy for it that plugs into the quick charge input on the top of the unit that does turn it into a 4 stage maintenance charger, but as I don’t have it, I wasn’t sure how it worked and what all the numbers meant ...

Cheers ....