Porsche Classic Product Range Fuchs.

Stef 911

Hi All, 

Anyone bought any brand new Fuchs from the Porsche Classic Product Range?

Looking to buy a pair of 16 x 8 Fuchs brand new from Porsche but worried they are not like the originals.

Obviously buying them from Porsche they should be exact to spec.

Anyone bought any? Any feed back?

Cheers

Stef

I’m after the same size wheels and haven’t turned up a 2ndhand set so reached out to Fuchsfelge direct, Porsche Classic want ridiculous money for them so that drives the 2ndhand price into the stratosphere.

Fuchsfelge sell the “Evolution” wheel to to general public, it’s the exact same wheel as sold by Porsche Classic only without a Porsche logo, they have the Fox on the back instead. I’ve been emailing them over the last few days, a full set of 7’s & 8’s is $3900. 8’s are €520 each.

Theyre currently out of stock until the end of this month due to the COVID shutdowns in Germany, but they’re happy to put you on a list for immediate delivery once available.

1 hour ago, Mike-S said:

I’m after the same size wheels and haven’t turned up a 2ndhand set so reached out to Fuchsfelge direct, Porsche Classic want ridiculous money for them so that drives the 2ndhand price into the stratosphere.

Fuchsfelge sell the “Evolution” wheel to to general public, it’s the exact same wheel as sold by Porsche Classic only without a Porsche logo, they have the Fox on the back instead. I’ve been emailing them over the last few days, a full set of 7’s & 8’s is $3900. 8’s are €520 each.

Theyre currently out of stock until the end of this month due to the COVID shutdowns in Germany, but they’re happy to put you on a list for immediate delivery once available.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0804/POR_0804_BDYWHL_pg5.htm#item15

Mike are these the ones your getting??? Thinking of doing the same!!!!

Personally - I'd be calling Cam at Classix Wheels

That way you can compare your existing wheel with what is on offer and just buy the two that you are looking to buy. Depends on how anal you are, but even if they are a poofteenth off - are you really going to notice the difference? 

I am guilty of checking myself/the car out while driving past shop fronts, but you do spend most of your time inside driving ;) 

18 hours ago, FAP911 said:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0804/POR_0804_BDYWHL_pg5.htm#item15

Mike are these the ones your getting??? Thinking of doing the same!!!!

Yes. I’d seen them on Rose Passion’s website for about €500 but they were also out of stock, so went direct to Fuchsfelge. While they’re not listed in their shop, an email to them confirmed they are available direct, just on back order.

It’s more a case of playing the exchange rates and delivery costs to get them for the right price. Pelican charge too much for delivery, plus the exchange rate is poor so it made sense to go direct. Originally I was just going to get a pair of 8’s and use my existing 7’s, but in the end it’s cheaper in the long run to get a full set that match and sell my existing wheels.

Not sure about Mike but, for me cheapest is to add pair of 8" rims to my 7" rims.....however, if the finish of the new wheels is way off compared to my existing 7s, which is highly likely, I will then need to take the set to a wheel shop and have them restore all wheels to the same quality. If that the case the likely outcome is a very expensive drawn out process.

Selling my existing Fuchs is not really adoption IMO as they are the car's original wheels..

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

Mike

2 things intrigued me about your post

- a full set that matches, when you say ‘match’ do you mean appearance, age, manufacturing marks, correct offsets or actual wheel sizes?

- RRS?

Appearance. My wheels are the originals and although the anodising is perfect the black is faded so new wheels will stand out. I’m after silver petals as well, so if I look at the cost of properly painting my 7’s I can have new wheels for not much more. I can then sell my original wheels and the Minilites I’ve been running on it for the last few years and probably break even.

I’m not wedded to the originality and keeping the original wheels with the car. It’s a 33 year old Targa, has seen some paint and has plenty of stonechips. Yes it has relatively low k’s, It’s well looked after and doesn’t want for anything but it’s a driver and we treat it as such.

These are genuine Fuchs, not copies. For the price I think they’re a bargain.

On 06/07/2020 at 21:46, Stef 911 said:

Hi All, 

Anyone bought any brand new Fuchs from the Porsche Classic Product Range?

Looking to buy a pair of 16 x 8 Fuchs brand new from Porsche but worried they are not like the originals.

Obviously buying them from Porsche they should be exact to spec.

Anyone bought any? Any feed back?

Cheers

Stef

Yes, I bought a set of the Fuchs from the Porsche Classic Range in 16 X 7 and 16 X 9 about 18 months ago from PCM.  They should be exact, but they're not, quite.  

The centre section is identical.  The anodised rim is identical.  The difference is the wall of the outer section of the rim doesn't quite follow the profile of the original series in that the radius is shallower on the new versions.  You'd probably never pick it unless you had the two rims side by side.

Happy to post some pics if you wish.

Oh, and the weight is the same BTW.

16 hours ago, Mike-S said:

Some pictures would be great. I would assume your eyes have now stopped watering from the price? I know what Porsche Classic GB wanted for them so I dread to think what they are here.

No worries, here's some images when I fitted them up with tyres.  I can take close ups of the rim section to which I refer above if you wish, with the originals side by side.  Can also takes some images with them on the car too.  Just let me know.

I actually thought they were very fair value.  To buy a forged Fuchs wheel in the original style in 16" is amazing IMO.  Good on Porsche for working with Fuchs to re-introduce it.  I paid $7,700 for the 4 wheels, centre caps and valve stem supports.  It's cheaper than buying a used set then sending them to Harvey Weidman to make them nice again.

20200111_115046_zpsxtcm6tfs.jpg

20200111_123112_zpshvouybhy.jpg

20200111_131244_zpsmcsfo2yk.jpg

20200111_130603_zpsajc46epr.jpg

20200111_131255_zpsfyeqkstq.jpg

20200111_130557_zpsw3ium1mh.jpg

Thanks, they look great. You really wouldn’t notice the difference.

P7’s as well, perfect 👍

You also make the point well that drives me to new wheels. Sellers here want drug money for 2ndhand Fuchs, most have had the anodised finish polished off and need a refurb, so factoring in that cost just to get original old date stamped wheels doesn’t make sense. Feedback from friends who’ve had them refurbed here is mixed, especially when the anodising needs to be redone. 

They do look good, and seems spot on with what I was quoted. ie 1900 per rim.

Yes buying old one then referring them seems the less desirable option, also not an option as I can find a set of 16 x 7 and 16 x 8s for sale.

No rush but I may go down the new from Porsche option.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

True, though thats a lot of wedge for a set of rims

Sorry to harp on about this, I'm just really curious why you think its expensive.  Yes, you can buy a perfectly reasonable daily driver for the cost of the wheels, or even re-paint your car if you do the disassembly and reassembly yourself.  But after you see the forging process and subsequent machining, I think it's cheap.  I think the cast copy wheels are cheaper still, under half the price than the Fuchs.  But they're quite a bit heavier and the anodised section doesn't appear to be anodised, rather machined.  And it's not what Porsche would suggest you fit.

The way I look at it, if I keep the car for a minimum of 20 years (which is my intention) the cost of the wheels over that ownership period will be approximately 12% of the total running costs of the car.  And I can move them around from car to car as well, or even sell them and recoup a % of my cost.

For me, there's also a safety component with used wheels and that was a factor that I found impossible to quantify in financial terms.

Anyway, each to their own.  Happy days.

Does anyone else get excited by the Pahnke 3,600 ton forge and hearing about 7037 aluminium?

@carl888 

Why do I think it's expensive? Coz 8 grand IS expensive, though I do understand why they are.

I don't think of what I could, would or have spent on my car and what the increased value percentage would be, as to me thats just part of owning these things