Mesh Grilles

Merv

I had some of these on my 997 Cab from ZunSport IIRC. On the my current 996TT I am thinking that something similar might be a good idea for country roads.  What is the current thinking on this?  I see them on GT3s in race situations but wondered how useful they are on road cars and if they impede air flow in our hotter climate in summer?  Any suggestions as to sources also (not-US) or even DIY?

8 hours ago, Merv said:

I had some of these on my 997 Cab from ZunSport IIRC. On the my current 996TT I am thinking that something similar might be a good idea for country roads.  What is the current thinking on this?  I see them on GT3s in race situations but wondered how useful they are on road cars and if they impede air flow in our hotter climate in summer?  Any suggestions as to sources also (not-US) or even DIY?

Merv,

there is a thread on here somewhere about this with photos & instructions on how to do this, I’ve done 3 cars this way, if I can find the thread I’ll post the link otherwise happy searching.

8 hours ago, Merv said:

Thanks .  I like the idea of DIY and I am going to remove the bumper soon to fully clean out the rads and give them a coat of some ally protectant.  The kind of mesh that is best interests me as you would not want to restrict air flow, but would want to guard against that one stone that causes major damage.

• 3 weeks later...

Removing the front bumper today. Good job on a rainy day. Still not decided if I am going to fit some mesh behind the grilles.  I will at least clean them and give them a spray of Lanolin or Inox to afford some protection for the aluminium-always a good idea on ally' vanes in coastal areas. I wish there were some ready made mesh grilles in this country.  I am over ordering stuff from OS.

Good thought Dave.  I removed the bumper today and cleaned the rads and they look great. There was a lot of gunk in there. Feathers, leaves, grass, stones, bugs, etc.   I decided not to do a DIY job and either leave the vents open or get some ready made screens.  I will check with Sunsport re my earlier purchase.