Fuel Tank Capacity

Is it really 85L ?!!!!

Seriously. I'm dropping the car off for an annual service at Autohaus after work today so had to fill up this morning as my gauge was showing just under a quarter. At 55L I was looking for leaks under the car. At 60L I pulled the pin as I had visuals of the frunk filling with fuel. Just had a quick look at the manual and it says it's an 85L tank. (84 Carrera)

Anyway took this photo this morning, and thought it looked pretty good.

TOP VIEW.jpg

That's correct Stepo, as I was looking at an 85 reference Book. 85L inc 8L reserve. Assumed 84 would be the same, but apparently not.

I'm really surprised the tank capacity is that large for such an older and "smallish" car. My only reference point is an old Karmann Ghia I had which was much smaller.

Thanks for the feedback and response guys.

I remember when I first got mine all those years ago and thought to myself... I’ll fill it up and get an idea of fuel consumption.

It got to $70 and I thought .. not long now ... then $80 .. then $90 .. then $100. I had to stop as I didnt know how much more and thought I’ve got better things to do with money than have it sitting in a fuel tank being used once a week ...

I’ve worked out that its a bottomless pit! ... 😅

It always amazes me too!  Such a tiny little car but so much fuel and at Australian highway speeds you can go 750km or more.  

There's probably some explanation in weight balance or the fact that you can run from Stuttgart to Dusseldorf @ 200kmh plus without needing to refuel.

On 10/07/2020 at 04:05, Big Dav said:

It always amazes me too!  Such a tiny little car but so much fuel and at Australian highway speeds you can go 750km or more.  

There's probably some explanation in weight balance or the fact that you can run from Stuttgart to Dusseldorf @ 200kmh plus without needing to refuel.

Definitely the latter - I think in the early days maybe some motorsport connotation as well.

Having fun with my 78 F250 - 17 gallons to fill the main tank (~70l) and not sure on mileage but 1/4 tank per hour seems to be about the going rate - maybe 25-30 l/100?.  Makes you appreciate both the range and relatively good fuel economy out of old 911s.  They were pretty standout performers in their day compared to everything else around.

On 10/07/2020 at 21:20, Mike-S said:

Yes, it surprised me when I easily managed Melbourne to Adelaide on a tank, with plenty left. 

Same run in the 968 to enter the Adelaide Rally, 74Lt tank and no 8Lt reserve light showing.