Spotta

1977 911 Backdate to 1973 RSR Kinda by Spotta

Hello all,

Further to my introduction that I have posted below and now added some photos.IMG_5893.thumb.jpg.f0fa552839b4ca1d00d57e7ec1760652.jpgIMG_5888.thumb.jpg.45d6b3db64b42dc08d6d39c42a60dde4.jpgIMG_5889.thumb.jpg.653f8723c2e16430e458693fe0a234b3.jpgIMG_5891.thumb.jpg.355f013245651ac26ef020ac7a4b8058.jpg

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a basket case. In  other words I basically bought it in a basket. It is a 77 guards red 911 original Australian delivered car and rust free. It was stripped and began being back dated 10 years ago by the previous owner who unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. His family didn't know what to do with the car until they recently decided it was too big a task for them to complete. The previous owner was going down a 73 rsr replica path and was building to targa and hill climb.

I bought it as a shell on a trolley that has had the long nose panel work done on the front. It has been seem welded, has had stainless oil cooler lines placed through the tunnel and adjustable mounts placed in the rear therefore the rear seat wells removed. Patrick racing oil tank mounted, a full cage fitted. The cage had not been signed off with CAMS and because it was done almost 10 years ago was now not compliant. I have now had the cage updated and signed off.

I got a lot of new parts with the car that have never been fitted. As mentioned this was being built basically as a race car but I am going down a more weekend club day car path. 

Some of the items include a 3.2 litre engine with Nickies cylinders, JE pistons, Xtreme racing heads, Doherty racing cams. 50mm PMO carbs among an array of other things all new in boxes. For the brakes I got Tilton pedal box and associated parts, and Brembo Grand Turismo brake kits for all corners along with custom made 17" Fuchs wheels x 8 and x 10. Front end is Smart racing ERP, swab bar and bump steer kit and for the rear Smart racing sway bar etc. It also came with FOX racing coil-overs for all corners. There is an array of other items, like twin spark distributor, lexen windows, Giken superlock diff, Fuel safe racing cell, Wevo engine mounts etc etc etc. Although all of it is still in a million pieces. 

The plan is; the engine is being assembled currently, the gearbox will be started soon, the cage has been done, the car finishes its sand blast next week. It will then get painted everywhere except the outer so assembly can start. Currently confirming leather and the interior will start also. 

I am being very ambitious and wanting it done by Christmas. Wish me luck. In will attempt to add some photos. Maybe to another post.

I will more that likely need some parts as some stage so any help will be appreciated.

Jason.

And today we sand blasted and delivered home.IMG_6310.thumb.jpg.9da2165e6267a3e0005cb97b28b01a49.jpgIMG_6315.thumb.jpg.b73c09a98b42ebbcc5a913bb8aa557b6.jpgIMG_6316.thumb.jpg.68133ce5a0e5a223e6077fe2575848a3.jpgIMG_6317.thumb.jpg.f53918f679b52f2d29fa773d19c0a420.jpgIMG_6333.thumb.jpg.706f7f01923edea04348e4f47b92520e.jpgIMG_6328.thumb.jpg.48c55c44051a27522f3274d8c2a365fc.jpg

1 hour ago, Spotta said:

Hello all,

Further to my introduction that I have posted below and now added some photos.IMG_5888.thumb.jpg.45d6b3db64b42dc08d6d39c42a60dde4.jpg

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a basket case. In  other words I basically bought it in a basket. It is a 77 guards red 911 original Australian delivered car and rust free. It was stripped and began being back dated 10 years ago by the previous owner who unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. His family didn't know what to do with the car until they recently decided it was too big a task for them to complete. The previous owner was going down a 73 rsr replica path and was building to targa and hill climb.

I bought it as a shell on a trolley that has had the long nose panel work done on the front. It has been seem welded, has had stainless oil cooler lines placed through the tunnel and adjustable mounts placed in the rear therefore the rear seat wells removed. Patrick racing oil tank mounted, a full cage fitted. The cage had not been signed off with CAMS and because it was done almost 10 years ago was now not compliant. I have now had the cage updated and signed off.

I got a lot of new parts with the car that have never been fitted. As mentioned this was being built basically as a race car but I am going down a more weekend club day car path. 

Some of the items include a 3.2 litre engine with Nickies cylinders, JE pistons, Xtreme racing heads, Doherty racing cams. 50mm PMO carbs among an array of other things all new in boxes. For the brakes I got Tilton pedal box and associated parts, and Brembo Grand Turismo brake kits for all corners along with custom made 17" Fuchs wheels x 8 and x 10. Front end is Smart racing ERP, swab bar and bump steer kit and for the rear Smart racing sway bar etc. It also came with FOX racing coil-overs for all corners. There is an array of other items, like twin spark distributor, lexen windows, Giken superlock diff, Fuel safe racing cell, Wevo engine mounts etc etc etc. Although all of it is still in a million pieces. 

The plan is; the engine is being assembled currently, the gearbox will be started soon, the cage has been done, the car finishes its sand blast next week. It will then get painted everywhere except the outer so assembly can start. Currently confirming leather and the interior will start also. 

I am being very ambitious and wanting it done by Christmas. Wish me luck. In will attempt to add some photos. Maybe to another post.

I will more that likely need some parts as some stage so any help will be appreciated.

Jason.

Jason, is that Scott's car in the background of this photo, or your car???   And was the 77 in Tassie or a mainland import?

48 minutes ago, Spotta said:

Hello,

It is Scott's and yes the car was local. 

So you're up north then 🙂  Hadn't heard about the basket case, must keep my ear closer to the ground   😜  David R doing the engine or the guy up near connector park?  Looking forward to checking it out when its finished - mightn't be too long the way you're pushing on with it 🙂 

Yes I am in Launceston, where are you located? And sorry but I didn't catch your name. Ringer is helping a bit but Lupo is doing the engine. You are welcome to come and have a look at any stage. 

42 minutes ago, Spotta said:

Yes I am in Launceston, where are you located? And sorry but I didn't catch your name. Ringer is helping a bit but Lupo is doing the engine. You are welcome to come and have a look at any stage. 

Yep, in Lonnie too, Peter's the name 🙂 Didn't know Robert played with Porsche engines, but no doubt he will do a great job as he's renowned for his race engines.  Ringers looks after my GT3 and wife's 981 🙂

Jason,  Northern PCT run on Sunday, finishing at the motor museum approx 10.30 to join in the Eurosports Cars & Coffee.  Come on down and catch up with some of the guys and gals.  I'm going straight to museum, be there about 9.30 or so, but leaving early as we're off to Cradle.

cheers

Peter

So we have the car in primer now and have put some KBS rust seal on the on the front inner guards and the Frunk followed by Blacktop Chassis coater in satin black. Next step will be to get the inner floor and outer floor painted so some assembly can begin. Everyday is like Christmas when the mail man comes at the moment. Coilover springs for the FOX shocks arrived along with Tilton reservoir, the ARP engine stud kit, new wheel bearings and some other odds and ends. IMG_6353.thumb.jpg.b17ff182994e0dbe49a6beca69535a39.jpgIMG_6355.thumb.jpg.12ee9929f18ef41c6c0c9e94b149b2be.jpgIMG_6364.thumb.jpg.d56ab77df9946218d6168752a2d20b5d.jpgIMG_6367.thumb.jpg.0b5981e27e18c16bf830fa2837932175.jpgIMG_6368.thumb.jpg.5bd85d30850a34f52d0eaf2663337631.jpg

That’s a seriously good basket case’ you have acquired 

10 minutes ago, michel said:

That’s a seriously good basket case’ you have acquired 

Agreed, the more I get in to it the luckier I am. The shell is immaculate. 

13 hours ago, Spotta said:

IMG_6504.thumb.jpg.aa1804bc324f2f0d11293542fbeec0ac.jpg

Some shiny bits going in this weekend.

Jeez mate, you're not hanging around.  Your Christmas date may well be achievable I think!!

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Jeez mate, you're not hanging around.  Your Christmas date may well be achievable I think!!

That's the plan mate. But this is all the easy stuff at the moment.

IMG_6506.thumb.jpg.a90ed0a06ab805cdb44782dbca79e7ed.jpgIMG_6512.thumb.jpg.849236e9a16324fa113b2f404e425198.jpgIMG_6513.thumb.jpg.bd7b9acc15e6faa615b4493e358b4295.jpg

Another productive weekend. Fuel cell and oil tank final fitment, just waiting for hosing and fittings to be delivered. Oil cooler first fitment. Lots of front suspension and brake work done. 

Next will be some final fitment in the front end, some more paint on the cage etc, fuel lines and oil lines, pedal box and reservoir fitment with some brake lines.