1977 911 Backdate to 1973 RSR Kinda by Spotta

Spotta

IMG_6922.thumb.jpg.3372868dd17a1979a5c72c5cd11bf0bf.jpgIMG_6925.thumb.jpg.69ae18f3053cba3a3bc04f56f5e0939b.jpgIMG_6926.thumb.jpg.5f8481052150ad342c239675f197cbc7.jpg

So not as much progress as I would have liked this weekend as my rear wheel bearings among a few other things didn't show up. Did some tidying up of the front suspension and some more brake line and fuel line work. Mounted fuel pumps etc. Cut out some of the German Square weave carpet. Got all of the gearbox parts together ready for assembly. Cases back from the US after having the inserts fitted, OS Giken diff center to go in, tilton oil pump and cooler, AP racing clutch and flywheel all ready to be assembled. 

19 minutes ago, Spotta said:

IMG_6922.thumb.jpg.3372868dd17a1979a5c72c5cd11bf0bf.jpgIMG_6925.thumb.jpg.69ae18f3053cba3a3bc04f56f5e0939b.jpgIMG_6926.thumb.jpg.5f8481052150ad342c239675f197cbc7.jpg

So not as much progress as I would have liked this weekend as my rear wheel bearings among a few other things didn't show up. Did some tidying up of the front suspension and some more brake line and fuel line work. Mounted fuel pumps etc. Cut out some of the German Square weave carpet. Got all of the gearbox parts together ready for assembly. Cases back from the US after having the inserts fitted, OS Giken diff center to go in, tilton oil pump and cooler, AP racing clutch and flywheel all ready to be assembled. 

Still looking good Jason, sorry I didn;t get a chance to catch up.  I will one day!!

A little more work done this weekend. Had a lot of kids soccer also therefore not as much as done as I would have liked. Brake lines almost finished, fuel lines done, all steering components tension and finished, rear brakes and wheels on so she is a roller. Next job to finish brakes, plumb up oil system and wiring. The custom wiring is a big job so wish me luck.

IMG_6963.thumb.jpg.987e2d76907c7677d4ca79bdd7fd4845.jpgIMG_6964.thumb.jpg.34cdd953de57abc529a1e504fee916a5.jpgIMG_6965.thumb.jpg.6fdfd9f53cf1d6bc8555cfcf1b402b4a.jpgIMG_6966.thumb.jpg.90180bb3506d8eb382a3629580c4c184.jpg

Hello All,

So got an email back from Harry at Porsche Australia today who confirmed the following for me about my car.

1977 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe 5 speed manual. Guards Red. Kork leatherette with Beige tarten inlay. Built 9th March 1977. Australian Specification. Tourist delivery (not sure what that means) Options - C23 = Australian RHD. 261 = Plain Passenger mirror. 401 = 7 +8 x 15 Fuchs. 441 = Electric antenna and loudspeaker. 473 = Front and rear spoiler. 481 = 5 speed gearbox. 650 = Sunroof.

Now, after finding all that out I think I am going to paint it back to guards red. In addition I am tempted to make it a short bonnet RSR not a long bonnet. Any thoughts or advice on what the inexperienced should do. Increase/decreasing value etc?

3 hours ago, Spotta said:

Hello All,

So got an email back from Harry at Porsche Australia today who confirmed the following for me about my car.

1977 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe 5 speed manual. Guards Red. Kork leatherette with Beige tarten inlay. Built 9th March 1977. Australian Specification. Tourist delivery (not sure what that means) Options - C23 = Australian RHD. 261 = Plain Passenger mirror. 401 = 7 +8 x 15 Fuchs. 441 = Electric antenna and loudspeaker. 473 = Front and rear spoiler. 481 = 5 speed gearbox. 650 = Sunroof.

Now, after finding all that out I think I am going to paint it back to guards red. In addition I am tempted to make it a short bonnet RSR not a long bonnet. Any thoughts or advice on what the inexperienced should do. Increase/decreasing value etc?

I say build the car you want, it is a long way from how it was delivered with front & rear flares, sunroof delete, cage and race interior.

IMHO I don't think it will make too much difference in making it long vs. short bonnet from a value proposition as the person who would buy it when you are finished will not be an anorak- it will be a cracking car! :)

"Tourist delivery" is when the buyer collects the car from the Porsche factory in Germany. "C23" is the area designation for Australia, meaning its Australian specification (most countries have their own differences in spec) and should be plated with the Australian design rules compliant plate in the frunk. I think!

If the original engine is gone and so many other things have been altered already I would stick to your first plan & build the car for you & not what you/we think the market may prefer. Value wise I would guess a long hood would be higher but that is a personal view. Car looks great already.

Hello,

It is from Cartek out of the UK. It is wireless so the quick release on the wheel can function with no wires.

On 21/09/2020 at 16:33, Coastr said:

Cool spec originally.  Someone had a lot of fun in 1977 goon got pick that up.

Guarda red overr those big hips - cool.  I’d think about the cork theme as well for inside.

Unfortunately the interior is beyond on the cork. A lot of money has been invested in black square weave etc. 

On 21/09/2020 at 12:25, Arnage said:

"Tourist delivery" is when the buyer collects the car from the Porsche factory in Germany. "C23" is the area designation for Australia, meaning its Australian specification (most countries have their own differences in spec) and should be plated with the Australian design rules compliant plate in the frunk. I think!

If the original engine is gone and so many other things have been altered already I would stick to your first plan & build the car for you & not what you/we think the market may prefer. Value wise I would guess a long hood would be higher but that is a personal view. Car looks great already.

Thanks for your help. I think I am sticking with the long hood but will go guards red, so it matches its build plate. 

Hello all,

Its been a little while since an update. So after lots of deliberation I am going back to original color of guards red but staying with the backdate. Had a long chat to a guy by the name of Mike Tankard out of Melbourne who supplies all the glass panels for these cars and is an old Porsche guy from way back. 

So below. All brake lines are finished. I am happy with the way the stainless lines have come up and they should be out of the way and work well. Fuel pumps, fuel taps,  fuel lines, fuel filters and regulators are all plumbed up. Just need to mount the regs. I have spent a lot of time on the oil system. I have the cooler finished and mounted. The oil thermostat is in, oil breather tank is mounted and needs plumbing and just waiting on the oil filters to finish the system. Have also made a start on the wiring. Spending a lot of evenings with the lounge room floor covered in wiring building looms atm. Also made up a dash panel to cover up all the holes i wont be using. I will then cover this in leather and just mount what I need. 

IMG_6999.thumb.jpg.270344edbf590beeab9d93b74ad77fc0.jpgIMG_7091.thumb.jpg.8c28376e1393d0b32ef159f73d4ca7dd.jpg

IMG_7090.thumb.jpg.d8be6d806cb435dae544183cf1f62d86.jpgIMG_7093.thumb.jpg.40da4d990e7513a146be40631f21dba6.jpg

41 minutes ago, Spotta said:

Hello all,

Its been a little while since an update. So after lots of deliberation I am going back to original color of guards red but staying with the backdate. Had a long chat to a guy by the name of Mike Tankard out of Melbourne who supplies all the glass panels for these cars and is an old Porsche guy from way back. 

So below. All brake lines are finished. I am happy with the way the stainless lines have come up and they should be out of the way and work well. Fuel pumps, fuel taps,  fuel lines, fuel filters and regulators are all plumbed up. Just need to mount the regs. I have spent a lot of time on the oil system. I have the cooler finished and mounted. The oil thermostat is in, oil breather tank is mounted and needs plumbing and just waiting on the oil filters to finish the system. Have also made a start on the wiring. Spending a lot of evenings with the lounge room floor covered in wiring building looms atm. Also made up a dash panel to cover up all the holes i wont be using. I will then cover this in leather and just mount what I need. 

IMG_6999.thumb.jpg.270344edbf590beeab9d93b74ad77fc0.jpg

Looking awesone - Love the work!!

Can someone educate me? I have noticed this on a few 'hot rods' now and with the above picture, the banana arm brackets seem elongated upwards.

Also with a stopper bolt? I can't figure out their purpose - Can someone chime in please?

3 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Can someone educate me? I have noticed this on a few 'hot rods' now and with the above picture, the banana arm brackets seem elongated upwards.

Also with a stopper bolt? I can't figure out their purpose - Can someone chime in please?

Are you referring to these ?

30B1797A-7069-4F1E-B08A-B2E0433E27A1

I believe they are camber adjustment

4 hours ago, P-Kay said:

They are for lowered vehicles to reset the roll radius. When you lower an independent rear the camber adjusts significantly and then during compression even further. By moving the arm up it resets the camber position to a more neutral position to increase tyre contact. 

Ok, so a bit of an update. Fuel system completely finished with regs bolted up and everything flushed. Oil system has been finished with thermostat, cooler, peterson inline oil filters and a lot of Speedflow items. Brakes are finished with e brake and proportioning valve plumbed up, brakes bled. The next job is to fit up the doors and all panel work in preparation for paint. Trying to get in to paint for the first few weeks in November. Could help but place the shifter and a seat in also.

IMG_7184.thumb.jpg.800d1fa2122baa065dbb10d36817dbfb.jpgIMG_7185.thumb.jpg.379bed502a46c787a6a0d640d2d37ad9.jpgIMG_7186.thumb.jpg.e34e117de21b723d33e23fa43ed0398a.jpgIMG_7187.thumb.jpg.7150ddf2e1b201eb0af5219b153e506e.jpgIMG_7188.thumb.jpg.06f3e06d610b1d24d9d540560e636ad4.jpg