Questions on removing 18" wheels and adding 19" OEM wheels on 997 C2 ?

kov

Hi P Team,

I have done a search on here, even did a quick google search, no such luck...

I am seeking guidance and feedback from anyone that has upgraded from 18" wheels to 19" genuine wheels on their 997 C2.  Loving the aesthetics of a particular 997.2 wheel...

I am not really interested in lowering the height and from what I can tell by changing to 19" wheels it will create a larger gap on the wheel arches? To me from the back of a monitor screen this is evident on the 997 C2 on carsales with 19" wheels I have viewed...

Is the ride a lot harsher when moving from 40 profile to 30/35? Does it compromise handling etc   (As the 997 C2 came out from the factory with 18" wheels am I best to just stick with this size and upgrade to new Michelin rubber all round?)

Any help would be really appreciated!!

FWIW I had simultaneously 2 x 987S's one with 18's and one with 19's and both with Conti SContacts. The one with 19's and lower profile wider rubber felt way better to me even in general use and carving up the twisties. I don't mind a "harsher" ride though. The wheel arches on 987s are huge and the 19's definately looked like it filled them better. 

2 hours ago, kov said:

changing to 19" wheels it will create a larger gap on the wheel arches?

Hi Kov,

Changing to a larger wheel size should not 'create' a larger gap. Providing you maintain the same rolling diameter. It is important to keep the overall size of wheel and tyre profile the same as OEM when changing to a larger wheel - usually within a margin of 2-3%.  The 997 was available factory with a 19" wheel and the 997S comes standard with 19's, so the car is designed/engineered for this.  

Try this tyre size calculator:

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

2 hours ago, kov said:

Is the ride a lot harsher when moving from 40 profile to 30/35? Does it compromise handling etc  

In my opinion, the difference in comfort from a 18" with 40 profile to a 19 with 30/35 is marginal.  A lower profile tyre will actually improve handling.

Hey Kov. I did exactly what you are proposing to my 997C2  and I didn’t notice any difference in ride quality. The 19” are a lot wider than the 18” so the grip levels are ridiculous. Aesthetically the 19s suit the 997 much better than the 18s. Go for it I say.

On 27/07/2020 at 12:45, Davo3535 said:

I did this recently to my 997.2.

I noticed that the ride is slightly harsher on 19's, although not unbearably so by any means. To my eye there isn't any difference in the gaps in the wheel arches, if anything the 19's fill out the wheel arches a bit more. 

wheels.jpg

Cheers mate, she’s looks beautiful with those 19’s 👍