Macan in Snow - Autosocks

D2000

Just had my first experience driving in snow in my wife’s Macan S with 21” wheels. Seemed fine when I was moving but as soon as things slowed down traction was hard to find.

I want to keep driving the car to the snow (do so about 3 times a year), and although the times when there is a lot of snow on the ground are rare, I don’t want to have the same experience again. 

Options seem to be a spare set of 18 or 19” wheels with winter tyres, snow chains or Autosocks (https://autosock.us/). For cost and practicality reasons I am leaning heavily toward Autosocks.  Does anyone have any experience with them or other suggestions? Thanks 

45 minutes ago, D2000 said:

as soon as things slowed down traction was hard to find.

Stop driving slow!!!!!

i hadn't heard of the autosock. Have you seen anyone using them here?  We head down in a few weeks and I was thinking through options for the GLC. Be keen to hear which way you go..

p.s I miss that car

46 minutes ago, Tips said:

Stop driving slow!!!!!

i hadn't heard of the autosock. Have you seen anyone using them here?  We head down in a few weeks and I was thinking through options for the GLC. Be keen to hear which way you go..

p.s I miss that car

Haven’t seen anyone using them. But also haven’t really seen anyone with an AWD with chains. Did see a lot of cars (including AWDs) abandoned by the side of the road, though.

Reviews on Amazon are largely good and the complaint seems to be that they get shredded when the road no longer has snow on it.

37 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

You'd want to be sure the autosock things are legal here... Don't want a ticket for failing to have "chains" as required, and don't want insurance having a reason not to pay up if something does go wrong...

In NSW alpine you don’t need chains for an AWD so socks should not be a problem

8 minutes ago, D2000 said:

In NSW alpine you don’t need chains for an AWD so socks should not be a problem

Had to look that up and am shocked to see that is true! All cars in Vic are required to carry diamond pattern chains in the Vic Alps and especially on the road to Hotham I have have had to fit  them numerous times to my AWD Forester.

2 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Had to look that up and am shocked to see that is true! All cars in Vic are required to carry diamond pattern chains in the Vic Alps and especially on the road to Hotham I have have had to fit  them numerous times to my AWD Forester.

Yes that's my experience too.  But now I live on the NSW side so interesting to see I don't need to carry.

15 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Yes that's my experience too.  But now I live on the NSW side so interesting to see I don't need to carry.

While this is true, if all vehicles are directed to fit chains (there are occasional days when this happens), regardless of your vehicle, and you do not have them....you will be hitching a ride back down the hill (or up).  So even if you don't need to carry them, it would burn to miss a good day (or the first half of it) just because you didn't have a set.  It's a one off purchase to ensure you never get stuck....so I reckon regardless of vehicle & tyre type it's wise to have a set.

2 hours ago, edgy said:

Having had my Macan in the snow and eventually ice, I'd definitely just recommend keeping some chains handy... when it comes to ice, no tyre is good enough! 

Cheers. What chains do you use?

Just try not to use them on asphalt otherwise they don’t last very long. If you can find a set of second hand VW wheels on gumtree and put on a set of Nokian’s that is the ultimate. It’s not the snow you need to worry about. It’s the polished ice that gets you. Which is all we ever seem to get in Australia.

On 22/07/2020 at 10:26, RwGreeny said:

Just try not to use them on asphalt otherwise they don’t last very long. If you can find a set of second hand VW wheels on gumtree and put on a set of Nokian’s that is the ultimate. It’s not the snow you need to worry about. It’s the polished ice that gets you. Which is all we ever seem to get in Australia.

Cheers. What VW wheels fit a Macan?

16 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Would think Tiguan & Audi Q5 - whatever equivalent model is in the range.  I have Touareg and basically same fitment as Cayenne and Q7

What Tas said. The Macan will be really easy to find wheels for due to the 5x112 stud pattern being quite common. As for fitment first I would workout what is the smallest diameter rim that will fit the macan (probably 17 inch) then I’d look at nokian’s range of 17” tyres and find the an appropriate size (Something like a 245/65r17 would be perfect) This will determine your rim width (8 inch width will work well) then all you need to do is find an appropriate 17x8 rim with the correct offset. This will give you the ultimate winter set up. At the ski fields in Japan I have a Hiace that is RWD on the skinniest studless Nordic winter tyres I could get and this combo works an absolute treat. It really doesn’t matter what car you have in winter conditions it’s all about the tyres

32 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

What Tas said. The Macan will be really easy to find wheels for due to the 5x112 stud pattern being quite common. As for fitment first I would workout what is the smallest diameter rim that will fit the macan (probably 17 inch) then I’d look at nokian’s range of 17” tyres and find the an appropriate size (Something like a 245/65r17 would be perfect) This will determine your rim width (8 inch width will work well) then all you need to do is find an appropriate 17x8 rim with the correct offset. This will give you the ultimate winter set up. At the ski fields in Japan I have a Hiace that is RWD on the skinniest studless Nordic winter tyres I could get and this combo works an absolute treat. It really doesn’t matter what car you have in winter conditions it’s all about the tyres

Agreed . Spent many a time road tripping around Hokkaido winter always only on winter tyres and works a treat . Last year about 3000 km in 7 days so lot's of winter driving never on snow chains 

9 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

Thanks. Sadly, I suspect that changing the wheels over twice a year will be a hassle too great for me!

So I have some experience in this as have been driving a lot in snow the last couple of years.

1st season I just kept the summer tyres and said 'AWD! All good'.  I even enjoyed some low-speed oppy-lock drifiting in snowy carparks.

2nd season I bought some chains for the rear and threw them in the back in case I got pulled up for not having them.  I also drove around on the summer tyres and ended up putting the car into a snowbank after hitting some ice.  Thankfully nothing damaged apart from pride.  While actually using the chains I also had to descend on an icy road which claimed about 5 cars on a cambered corner, including one Jeep Wrangler.  I narrowly made it through by inching ahead on full uphill lock in a zigzag pattern as the car slid toward the ditch full of other cars. I have never been so tense because at low speeds the chains handle like crap and are happy to slide around, and you're also severely speed limited if you get to a section that has been plowed down to the road surface, so you can end up taking them on and off multiple times in a journey. Fitting them in bad weather is a PITA.  I also found that my tyres had deteriorated badly from all of the sub-zero running (I did a lot of driving for long distance on frozen roads), so I ended up having to fork out for a new set of 20 in runflat summers.

3rd season I bought a set of used 17 in wheels (has 20in normally) and winter tyres for $700 and just ran them all winter.  Car was a bit noisier on the highway in the dry but handled like a champ in the snow.  Carried the chains around in case but never used them.  As a bonus the new summer tires still smelt nice and fresh when I re-fit them in warmer weather, and all the crappy running didn't affect the paint.

Moral of the story is buy some winter tyres on some cheap rims.  You'll have no stress, no roadside changing in bad conditions, your normal tyres and wheels will last longer.   Pay someone to swap them over if you don't want to break out the jack.   

6 hours ago, Tips said:

Just buys these 👆🏼It’s cheaper buying these and fitting some tyres than crashing your car on summer tyres because you didn’t fit the chains early enough

4 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

Just buys these 👆🏼It’s cheaper buying these and fitting some tyres than crashing your car on summer tyres because you didn’t fit the chains early enough

sound advice.  You'll also get a big chunk of your money back when you no longer need the second set - someone is always looking for a set of wheels.

On 22/07/2020 at 09:05, D2000 said:

Have ordered some AutoSocks from here:https://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/

Had to email them for international postage which was £25

FYI you can buy them from Village Ski in Cooma, I paid $150.

Seem to work ok on ice, but useless in heavy snow.

Will probably end up with a set of 18s on winters or with easy fit chains.

NSW resorts will occasionally require AWD to fit chains.

3 hours ago, Sustenpass said:

FYI you can buy them from Village Ski in Cooma, I paid $150.

Thanks. Tried them but they didn’t bring in any new stock this year due to COVID uncertainty. It was actually them that suggested I try the UK!