987.2 Boxster Track Build - The little 2.9 that could

21 hours ago, LeeM said:

It takes a while, but once you get used to left foot braking 100%, you'll never go back.

Works a treat in the wet, as you can modulate the transition from braking to accelerating by getting on the gas with a little brake pressure and less wheelspin.

Yeh, it seems like a really great skill to learn. I found it hard to get the same feeling in the feet though.

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Nice work, I have been eyeing off the Track Racer Sim setups, I like the look of those, would you recommend it? 

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I’ve got the perfect spot in my new post-COVID home office for one of these, or an exercise bike...I know which one I need, but torn on which I want... 😂

Do it! Definitely would recommend, a lot of people say to get an 80/20 style rig for the unlimited configuration choices but to me they are a bit too much of an eyesore for my home office.

This TR8 rig seems to be able to handle basically anything you want wheel and pedal wise with no shake at all.

Also went for these Fanatec V3 Inverted pedals which match the Porsche pedal configuration.

GP3kVC0.jpg

• 4 months later...

Got out to a Trackschool day at Wakefield yesterday and cracked a PB, getting down to a 1:08.48 (1:08.49 on Natsoft).

HcZE45Ll.jpg

I managed a ton of 1:08's and even in the last session of the day I managed 2 1:08 laps making me feel good about consistency.

yvfyI2Sl.jpg

John Boston drove the car and gave me some setup feedback, I need to get an upgraded front sway bar in the car to balance it out which I'll have PR Tech action.

The tyres are wearing well with the adjusted camber setup PR Tech made a while back with this being the 5th day on the A050 Mediums (2 wet days) and they look like they have 4+ days left in them without being rotated yet.

Looking forward to the Porsche Club days later in the year on the South and Brabham circuits. I feel like this car is  going to suit them well.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrect, been a good read thank you.  @rego  How is the car going lately?

Good info on the specs and mods etc (I didn't know the 987.2 had the S brakes - does anyone know if this is the case for Cayman as well?  Also heard rumours the base cars had the lower gearing but haven't been able to substantiate

Would the addition of factory Sport chrono (minus the clock of course) provide the PSM interference fix instead of having to place a yaw sensor switch and LSD?  Dont hear of such noticeable interference on the S cars

Happy with the power still and any plans to extract a few more horses?

1 hour ago, Boxer said:

Bit of a thread resurrect, been a good read thank you.  @rego  How is the car going lately?

Good info on the specs and mods etc (I didn't know the 987.2 had the S brakes - does anyone know if this is the case for Cayman as well?  Also heard rumours the base cars had the lower gearing but haven't been able to substantiate

Would the addition of factory Sport chrono (minus the clock of course) provide the PSM interference fix instead of having to place a yaw sensor switch and LSD?  Dont hear of such noticeable interference on the S cars

Happy with the power still and any plans to extract a few more horses?

Loving the car. I came close to selling it but installed some spacers, had the height raised and camber reduced by PR Tech to make it more usable on the street, installed a Lithium battery and have put nearly 10,000km onto the car since the last update.

It's the same as the Cayman for the bigger brakes and it has the shorter second gear than the S. Not the best for the track as it is probably too short, but for the road having a 2nd that tops out at just over 100km makes the car much more involving to drive as you use both 2nd and 3rd.

I understand the Sports Chrono reduces interruption as it lets it go a little further but it doesn't eliminate the interruption. I'll be honest I don't think most people would notice the interruption too much and I think the lack of complaint is most people aren't aware it's working, I think the difference in lap time is well under half a second on a typical track and for bad drivers it possibly improves the time. I just hate the feeling myself and would rather a car that has no nannies to save me.

The LSD is so great though even on the street, I think that is the best mod I've done to the car outside of the coilovers, I think that would be worth some time on the track over braking the wheels which PSM does particularly with semi slicks.

No real plans to get more hp, I've considered headers for a bit more sound and hp but to be honest the car already has plenty of power for the street. It keeps up with the M and GT cars my mates have just fine due to the corner speed it can keep.

Here's a couple of pictures of the car in Dorrigo with the spacers:

PXL_20220423_211212508.thumb.jpg.bde2db230cfe60e7e113ba80e419b792.jpg

PXL_20220423_211146614.thumb.jpg.37172959703b197c5248e30d67e373de.jpg

Yeah awesome to read its working well as both street and track day car.  My only hesitation with Cayman ownership has been the fact I want a manual shift, but thought the S was the only variant with enough grunt to satisfy.  I've not drive a base model at all, but a good couple of drives in a PDK S, which I enjoyed (but still long gearing) and therefore concerned a base may be lacking in power and not much can be done to extract a bit more.

Manual S just don't seem to exist post 2009 and I wouldn't want an earlier model

Dilemma then became  PDK S or Manual Base?  (For similar use as you have, not a daily but fun weekender in the hills, and occasional track days)

1 hour ago, Boxer said:

Yeah awesome to read its working well as both street and track day car.  My only hesitation with Cayman ownership has been the fact I want a manual shift, but thought the S was the only variant with enough grunt to satisfy.  I've not drive a base model at all, but a good couple of drives in a PDK S, which I enjoyed (but still long gearing) and therefore concerned a base may be lacking in power and not much can be done to extract a bit more.

Manual S just don't seem to exist post 2009 and I wouldn't want an earlier model

Dilemma then became  PDK S or Manual Base?  (For similar use as you have, not a daily but fun weekender in the hills, and occasional track days)

I think you have to try one for yourself and make a decision, many people wouldn't be satisfied with the power of a base car but I think it's plenty to have fun and you get to ring it out.

I had a PDK 981 S before this car and I have way more fun in this car on the street.

16 minutes ago, edgy said:

Good thread bump @Boxer I really enjoyed this thread, and glad to hear you held onto it @rego was hoping I'd see you out at the PCNSW super-sprints this year, have you retired it from track, or just taking some time off? 

Thanks @edgy, it will be back on the track next year. Just busy travelling with work and going on holidays this year so I decided to change it to a street spec.

I'm looking around for a 996 C4S Cab right now to use as a daily so the Boxster can stay in track mode.