Door frame paint finish 1976

Mike 66

I’ve also tried to do some research on this for my 1980 model 924 and I still haven’t come up with a definitive answer.

It’s possible that its either anodised or black chromed.

I’ll let you know if and when I find out more ...

I think we are talking at cross purposes here.

The door frames are steel and were either chromed or painted satin black.

The window surrounds - that fit into the rubber seal - were aluminium in either clear or black anodized finish.

I think Mike 66 just needs some satin black spray paint to make good.

Mike, Peter is right about the anodising I believe. The black anodising is relatively tough but fades. A rational solution is satin black paint (possibly calliper paint that is more chip resistant).

48 minutes ago, mrar said:

The door frames/tops I think you will find on the black anodized models are not steel. 

25 minutes ago, Paul OC said:

The door frames are not steel on the C3's and are black anodized.

Thanks gentlemen, you are correct.  I've corrected my original post.

Thanks all - yes the magnet doesn’t stick- just went and checked. I pulled out the door frame and the part of the frame that is inside the door cavity is black. So what I assumed was a “chrome” finish should be black! This would set off the look of the car much better as well

Hi

on further  follow up and reviews Of lots of pictures  of 1976/77  911 coupes,  I see some are black and some are a silver finish. I am again unsure  if this was an “option” or year related  or they have been painted?

the rear trim under the window appears to have a very distinct line of black which is covered by the window , yet silver on the outside or the part you would see.. I am now of the thinking that mine is still anodised but the external or parts that are seen from the outside are like a lighter see through black anodise. They are not polished aluminium. I will take all the parts to the anodisers to see what they think also

thanks

I could be wrong Mike but think the 'silver finish' you have seen in pictures was originally black anodizing that has faded like on my car. The exterior black anodizing fades to silver but are still black on the inside.  A mate has quite a few old air cooled 911s and the exterior door frames etc are the same faded silver on all his cars.

I like the 'silver patina' look.  If it was an option, it should be recorded by Porsche on your cars' options fitted when delivered new.