944 07K Turbo Swap

Fishcop

Is your 924 running?

Have you costed out an engine swap like the 07k and Boost Bros kit? The numbers start adding up very quickly even if you can do everything yourself. Start adding freight, exchange rates, maybe gst. The price of your car will be the cheapest thing to buy.  

Lots of Porsche fb pages but they are mainly 911 centric. ”Porsche  944 downunder (Australia & NewZealand)” is ok.

4 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Is your 924 running?

Nope. It sat over COVID at the previous owner’s. Got a new fuel pump in hand, fitting it shortly. Thinking will run it stock for a year or so before making any rash decisions.

Also interested how people have gone with modifications and the special vehicle registration? 

4 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Have you costed out an engine swap like the 07k and Boost Bros kit? The numbers start adding up very quickly even if you can do everything yourself. Start adding freight, exchange rates, maybe gst. The price of your car will be the cheapest thing to buy.  

Indeed. Sounds like Fishcop was very on the money (pun intended) with his initial $15k AUD proposition comment, assuming that excludes the base vehicle. Perhaps closer to 20 with the 924 hassle factor?

That’s a good point. The readily available nature of 1.8t engines in Aus is very appealing - did a bit more research and noticed a clean bell housing solutions by a “coalition of the willing” -

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/217183/porsche-20vt-conversion-bellhousing-group

Interested in your thoughts Fishcop on the Honda k20/k24’s? Seems only a handful worldwide are attempting it in a 924/944, though massive in lots of other platforms (eg K power industries). K24A3’s are similarly ubiquitous in Aus wreckers.

Though as you said quite well in the initial post, sound is a big factor. And a 5 pot sound is quite iconic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2021 at 20:54, Colibri Green said:

That’s a good point. The readily available nature of 1.8t engines in Aus is very appealing - did a bit more research and noticed a clean bell housing solutions by a “coalition of the willing” -

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/217183/porsche-20vt-conversion-bellhousing-group

Interested in your thoughts Fishcop on the Honda k20/k24’s? Seems only a handful worldwide are attempting it in a 924/944, though massive in lots of other platforms (eg K power industries). K24A3’s are similarly ubiquitous in Aus wreckers.

Though as you said quite well in the initial post, sound is a big factor. And a 5 pot sound is quite iconic.

The 924/44 chassis is superb - manly because of the 50/50 weight distribution (and the sweet looks).  The 944 benefits from some reasonably major brake and suspension upgrades and that's why I think it gets the fruitier engines from the LS to the 07K.  But the 924 is a touch more "delicate", so for me I'd be okay with the turbo 4-banger - I personally like the Audi because, essentially, the 924 IS an Audi ;)   I have driven a mate's K24 home-built 'Clubman' which is frankly the most frighteningly fast and visceral car I've driven, and fully appreciate the attraction!

I’m with mr Fishcop on the 1.8t swap 

I’ve been chatting with a guy in Canada, who is doing the conversion ( pro fabricator /mechanic) and been waiting (too long)  for a list of parts he can supply 

https://instagram.com/audische?utm_medium=copy_link

Think  Motor Werks Racing for all out, all in $$$ high end  solitons. They build wildly beautiful cars .. $$$$

http://www.motorwerksracing.com/

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2021 at 23:52, bergerac said:

Quite a lot of Audi RSQ3's being wrecked at the moment, anyone know if that motor is suitable for the swap?

That would be the dream, with the light alloy block. Though I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in the original rennlist thread) that the direct injection head is a little too tall for the 924/944. I’ve been curious if anyone has swapped the older port injection head onto a newer alloy 07k block, I believe someone has (or is in the process of) on an old Audi build.

I love that video, Fishcop. Shame that Iroz character isn’t doing longitudinal 07k builds anymore, with the exception that he’s building Scotto’s (and Ken Block’s?!) which will be ready for Sema in the next few days-

Also- in case 07k’s couldn’t get any more “it” with automotive tastemakers, James Pumphrey (of Donut Media fame) got his early Golf “07k swapped”.

Back to transaxles, has everyone seen this outrageously cool build from Mike, particularly his latest vid? 

• 6 months later...