PCNSW Motorkhana Championship 2020

Its a late start for the first round of the PCNSW Motorkhana Championship for 2020 for obvious reasons , there has been 2 separate practice rounds ( that do not count towards the championship ) , one was held very early in the year and another ( night time ) one just recently ,  I noticed this morning that Sean Buchanan ( 951 Porsche ) had put a nice photo on his Instagram account with his 951 in a line up for the first run of the day with late model Porsche GT3's in the line up in front of him  .

For those not familiar with Motorkhana , it is basically an event where there is quite a large smooth concrete skid pad , which happens to be at a slight angle so recirculating water can ( when turned on ) can flow over the surface ( so its truly a skid pan  ) , there is usually 3 or 4 maps and they show where to drive around the sea of witches hats ( one map at a time ) naturally looking out through your cars windscreen , the witches hats  just look like a mass and its near impossible to really see where you are meant to go until you get in amongst them , and naturally the faster you go the better you're time , but the faster you go the more likely you will go the wrong way around one particular cone or just go the wrong way period , then if you miss a hat you loose points , if you go the wrong way you loose points ( time is added actually )  , if you hit a hat you loose points , its really quite hard to master if you want to compete at the pointy end of the competition & you are competing against the stop watch

A perfect Porsche ( easy to drive ) for mototkhana would be a Boxster S / Cayman with PDK with stability control and ABS ( all standard ) or a 993C4S or a 996C4S or a 997C4S or a 991C4S , same deal all very very capable on a skid pan

Sean rang me at work this afternoon to let me know he won the 1st round outright , nice bit of driving in a last century Porsche with no ABS and no traction control and a manual gear box and a gear stick ?? ( how out of date ) on a skid pan against the latest and greatest this century Porsche's ,  the 35 year old 944 Turbo did OK , but in reality without Sean's driving ability his 951 can not drive its self

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Well done Sean, must have a good mentor (Bruce),

I remember after the 944 getting into the S2 and in the Motorkhana's getting a 3rd and two 4th Outright - just so well balanced.