996 sunroof likes to leak a little

michel

Recent rainy days, made me aware of a Persistent (small) wet spot on the passenger side seat.

I had thought , given the small amount and there was a drink bottle sitting on the seat,  this was the cause.

However the recent prolonged  wetness  and that the short edge of the sunroof was damp , and a quick google wised me up. 

I’m about to dig in ,though before I do interested to know , who has had the same, similar issue and their solution.

Now currently to fix; leaking 996 , replace all targa roof /door/window seals on continental orange 74 and address the quirky roof and leaks on the smart roadster.

Am working on a roof delete for the roadster . The other two will be conventional fixes.

share With me your issues and solutions 

activate a fog machine in the vehicle with all windows and sunroof closed and eventually it'll start to escape and you'll be able to find the leak.  You may also find other small leaks along the way....I have no idea on the fix process though.

13 minutes ago, jakroo said:

activate a fog machine in the vehicle with all windows and sunroof closed and eventually it'll start to escape and you'll be able to find the leak.  You may also find other small leaks along the way....I have no idea on the fix process though.

What is wrong with you?? ...

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

What is wrong with you?? ...

In all seriousness, the leak could seem to be from the front of the passenger side but actually be the rear part of the drivers side etc and then the water tracks to the lowest point.  By using the fog, it'll show the actual ingress point of the water.  Simples.

Try the old newspaper trick where you stick paper, use a watering can/hose to find where it shows up first on the paper. It will show the point on the inside where it's coming from, then trace back from there. No expensive equipment required.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Hasn't everyone got a fog machine? Get with the times mate

Back in my day they used to use people called smokers

2 hours ago, Shedpest said:

I can lend the mirror ball as well

Sure mate. I'll take it down from the mancave ceiling tonight. 

You think I'm joking don't you? I actually have one that would look great above the GT3 👍

(Sorry, I sold the fog machine when I stopped playing gigs)

4 hours ago, Dave986 said:

You could also blaze up and hotbox in the 996...same effect plus you get to eat pizza after.

AOS has same effect with windows down in the garage. Order home delivered pizza so you don't have to drive with it.

9 hours ago, michel said:

Will dry ice work ? 

Not sure abut CO2 but you need to handle it with care (it's damn cold and will burn you plus the emissions aren't that good - it's causing climate change - don't you read the papers, listen to the radio or watch TV).  It's the rapid volume and long lasting life of the fog that you're after.  Sure, smoking or some other way to achieve a combustion process will also work but I was thinking of the healthy approach. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@michel, I also noticed a leak in my rear headliner over the weekend, suspected window seal or sunroof. I pulled the headliner apart, poured water in the sunroof gutters (probably too much) and watched it gush out at the back of the roof where it joins the plastic drain tube.

I used the whipper snipper cord and got it down about a metre and thought no blockage, maybe the fitting on the gutter that goes into the tube is stuffed, there are comments of them suggesting cracking issues :unsure:

My misses tells me to blow down the tube with my mouth and guess what, I can't get air down it, I then notice some water sitting half way down the tube so obviously blocked.  I have a small compressor and connect the fitting on the end, it pops back out a couple of times with pressure but then presto, it blows out under the wheel arch and the blockage is gone (unfortunately my wife was down there checking at the time :PissedOff:).  I poured water in the gutters to check again and all good, the water drains and runs out under the car.

At the start, I thought the worst and didn't expect I'd have a simple fix but for once it worked out well for me.  Removing the headliner at the rear isn't as hard as the internet threads suggest, no problem getting the hose off or putting everything back together.  

If your drain hoses are blocked, your leak should be at the point where hoses connect to the sunroof gutters (back or front of the roof in the corners).  If your leak is near the middle of the car then I think you may have another issue?  I can't see how water getting into the sunroof wouldn't move down towards the drainage tubes in each corner.  I wouldn't expect much water gets past the sunroof seals but what does is an issue when those tubes get blocked, hope you get it sorted.