996 3.6 Engine Rebuild

philipk

This was the email this morning and all I know.

Hi Philip,

You picked a good time to do your engine up. As I suspected, the ‘tapping’ type noise from your engine is fairly bad ‘Bore Scoring’ on cylinder 5 particularly.  See the bottom photo. It is a bit of a phenomenon of the 996 / 997 engine.  What we are doing solves this problem.

The ‘rattle’ you get when first starting was caused by a failed cam chain tensioner. No issues there, just a replacement part required.

The car had a chain rattle on start up and bit of smnoke on start up. They said oil/water seperater needs replacing.

The amazing thing is it still pulled as hard as hell when abouve 2500-3000 revs.

I was told when I bought the car at 100,000km " you will need a rebuild at 250,000km" and I thought the smoke and rattle were pretty good warning signs.

Went and had a look today! Engine out, all cleaned up, stripped and ready to go to America to become a 3.8.

Decided we need new conrods, probably Carillo.

Thought about putting a deeper sump on it but It already is lousy clearance.

Chain tensioner was STUFFED in no uncertain terms.

I am going to tweak the suspension! Just got the email from DHL ,my exhaust has landed in the country!

engine.jpg

No, They are reboring the block.

I then get new pistons,rings included. I am buying new conrods and will decide on other bits.

Once they get the block it takes 6-8 weeks so I have time to sort it.

The way it is looking I will have a hell of a motor at the end of it!!

46 minutes ago, philipk said:

No, They are reboring the block.

I then get new pistons,rings included. I am buying new conrods and will decide on other bits.

Once they get the block it takes 6-8 weeks so I have time to sort it.

The way it is looking I will have a hell of a motor at the end of it!!

Man absolutely!!! Its going to be a weapon..Have you looked at the Schrick cams for the M96??

On 14/07/2021 at 08:49, philipk said:

More news, L&N have said since I am sending it from Australia they will do the 4.0 upgrade at no extra cost!!

WOW!

I am sure I will need a few extra bits to go with 4.0 upgrade!

I am now thinking about the deep GT3 sump with a sump guard.

May as well fix up the rest of your oil system properly it if you can with x51 scavenge style system which is known to work. This would help argue your resale/insurance value further if you ever came down to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_EDjK7p8I

I hardered up my rear suspension and take what I can at an angle to combat issues with the deep sump whilst in urban areas of Speed Humpville, Pothole Town & Tram-hump Ridge

Thinking about a 3rd front radiator for extra cooling. A good idea? Thoughts anyone?

Going to go with the extended GT3 oil sump for extra capacity.

X51 scavenge pump, not cheap. Do I need it for a track toy?

Not a full blown race car but?

It is going to be Sunday drive, Haunted Hills, Phillip Island track etc days toy.

I am thinking  better off spending on suspension instead. Thoughts?

Seats and 5 point harness as well. 

1 minute ago, philipk said:

Thinking about a 3rd front radiator for extra cooling. A good idea? Thoughts anyone?

Going to go with the extended GT3 oil sump for extra capacity.

X51 scavenge pump, not cheap. Do I need it for a track toy?

Not a full blown race car but?

It is going to be Sunday drive, Haunted Hills, Phillip Island track etc days toy.

Seats and 5 point harness as well. 

If you go with the enlarged oil sump I strongly suggest you get a sump guard.  Presuming you will lower the car it gets really easy to hit the sump on the ground, speed bumps etc. 

I fitted one of these and while it means I can no longer reverse my car into my garage the protection is worth it:

https://lnengineering.com/bilt-racing-911-2-quart-deep-sump-stainless-steel-guard-plate.html

Common advice seems to be don't fit a 5 point harness without at least a proper half cage:

http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2016/5/26/harness-bars-without-rollbars-and-a-trackday-organizers-thoughts-on-them

10 minutes ago, philipk said:

Seats and 5 point harness as well

Definitely! 

No point having a load of grunt and/or power if you can't put it down on the ground. 

22 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

If you go with the enlarged oil sump I strongly suggest you get a sump guard.  Presuming you will lower the car it gets really easy to hit the sump on the ground, speed bumps etc. 

I fitted one of these and while it means I can no longer reverse my car into my garage the protection is worth it:

https://lnengineering.com/bilt-racing-911-2-quart-deep-sump-stainless-steel-guard-plate.html

Common advice seems to be don't fit a 5 point harness without at least a proper half cage:

http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2016/5/26/harness-bars-without-rollbars-and-a-trackday-organizers-thoughts-on-them

Do you think I need a half cage or just a mounting bar?

I am deleting rear seats and belts anyhow.

1 minute ago, philipk said:

Do you think I need a half cage or just a mounting bar?

I am deleting rear seats and belts anyhow.

May as well go half cage, coz if you do get it wrong at speed and it flips, then it'll get messy

My Daughter Greta, who a few of you know is more aggressive than me and faster around Phillip Island than me.

But she weighs alot less than me so that is a time saver for her. Thats what I tell her anyway.

Hugh is no help, he tells her GO FASTER!

Safety is VERY important thats why the 5 point and bar.

Anyone got a half cage for sale?

32 minutes ago, philipk said:

My Daughter Greta, who a few of you know is more aggressive than me and faster around Phillip Island than me.

But she weighs alot less than me so that is a time saver for her. Thats what I tell her anyway.

Hugh is no help, he tells her GO FASTER!

Safety is VERY important thats why the 5 point and bar.

Anyone got a half cage for sale?

I can’t wait to go hooning with Greta in her, I mean your, refreshed 996! :D

It’s all coming together - can’t wait to see the finished product. 

3 minutes ago, hugh said:

3 minutes ago, hugh said:

You are no help after her going in your car!!

Engine is 12 week turn around, while that is going on other things will happen.

We are both excited!

Can't wait till it's first drive day!

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

May as well go half cage, coz if you do get it wrong at speed and it flips, then it'll get messy

Personally after reading about 5 point and six point harnesses I would not consider them without at least a half cage.

Presumably by fitting harnesses you can also fit a HANS Device which is a massive safety improvement if, God forbid, you run into a wall.

I would definitely be using the extended sump as from all I have read oil starvation can be a reall issue on track days with long radius corners. If you;re doing a new engine build, I wouldn't risk it.

Roll cage, half of 5 point IMHO is always the right way to go for track days

2 hours ago, 911CSR said:

I would definitely be using the extended sump as from all I have read oil starvation can be a real issue on track days with long radius corners. If you're doing a new engine build, I wouldn't risk it.

Roll cage, half of 5 point IMHO is always the right way to go for track days

Extended sump will not prevent oil starvation on a track if you use semi slick tyres.  I know this from bitter experience.

4 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Extended sump will not prevent oil starvation on a track if you use semi slick tyres.  I know this from bitter experience.

This is very interesting...I bought one from FVD for exactly this reason and the reviews and blurb said the extended sump, trap doors and changed pickup solves this issue. I looked at an Accusump also and sounds liek this might be a future upgrade as well.

Have the sump guard, also. Note that a lot of people recommend to up some dampening on it as they can setup a resonance or vibration that can be heard in the car. I had this on mine and used some heat reflective sound deadening. Worked a treat.

This is the FVD sump I purchased as it has the baffles in it.

1310257665_FVDSump.thumb.JPG.f77ad47a8cb887f8ee106a984020562a.JPG

NB: Also apologies to @philipk as I feel like i may have hijacked your thread.....