Carrera3 crossroads

duk

I have a Carrera 3 that I’m not quite sure whether it is financially worthwhile restoring. I have based this on the fact that it is a HK import, it is not the original paint and not great anyway, has an sc engine, later model spoiler and most ancillarys are disconnecting or removed.. The upside is it is fairly straight and I haven’t found any rust plus I have had it before prices went skyward.

The resto would have to be a nut and bolt and locating a correct engine 

base your response on that I am going to move the car on after the resto.

The Carrera 3.0 is a great car but its the engine that makes it great other wise its very similar to an SC & probably worth less than a rough all original SC as it sits now.. I would guess that a full nut & bolt restoration will cost way more than what you would get back when it comes time to sell..

Definitely not worth the effort or cost in my opinion, given that you are going to sell.

Ive done more than a dozen Porsche Resto/refurbs and despite enjoying the journey I just do it because I have time on my hands, without exception, I would have made the same "profit" on the cars if I had sold them "as is" versus spending the time and money to bring them up to a high standard.

To add a different perspective, some enjoy washing, polishing and driving, leaving the mechanicals to “others” while some enjoy working on the cars and the occasion drive.  If you enjoy working on cars , the thrill of the chase for parts, for information, for advise and the people that you meet on the way, then the money is secondary.

Treat it as a hobby and enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the others ... not worth the time and effort.

You’d be better off selling it to someone that is happy to turn it into a trackhack or tribute of some description.

At the end of the day, its NEVER going to be a true Carrera 3.0 again ... It’ll always be the dirty import with the non matching engine ... (that’s another discussion for another time) ...

I am also with the others. I will also add, that even if it currently had the correct engine still in it, restoring it to sell would not be worth while. The cost vs profit is just not there.

Restore it if you love it, but you will not make all of the cost back.

5 hours ago, James P said:

The Carrera 3.0 is a great car but its the engine that makes it great other wise its very similar to an SC ...

James,

What's the difference between the a C3.o and a SC engine?  I would have thought the later big port, higher compression SC engine would be better than a C3.o engine. 

EDIT; It's the 2kg lighter crank from the 2.7's that make the C3.o feel revvier isn't it!

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

James,

What's the difference between the a C3.o and a SC engine?  I would have thought the later big port, higher compression SC engine would be better than a C3.o engine. 

EDIT; It's the 2kg lighter crank from the 2.7's that make the C3.o feel revvier isn't it!

Something like that & 3.0 turbo case plus some other magic inside, not exactly sure but they are so nice to drive (had one a few years back)

If you bought it for 30k 15 years ago ... pull your pants down and spend the 70k plus making it a c3 again 

@Mike D'Silva had a c3 motor a year or two ago 

IMO ( and I wouldn’t pay heed) end of the day it’s not going to be worth much more than 110k if beautiful and resplendent in a curious colour 

21 minutes ago, James P said:

Something like that & 3.0 turbo case plus some other magic inside, not exactly sure but they are so nice to drive (had one a few years back)

Probably a few kilos lighter and maybe smaller wheels probably makes them feel a bit more spritely too!

Reminds me of back in the late 80's when I regularly bumped into Marcus Blackmore on our way home from work.

At the time he had a beautiful guards red C3, visually very similar to my 3.2. We'd invariably get lined up at a red light somewhere on Warringah Rd. and without fail it would be on for young & old!

I had an unblemished record in this (slightly unfair) contest but he never stopped trying.

Well history tells what happened in the ensuing years as he grew that company to meteoric heights and had many far more exotic cars that would make me look silly. I guess he moved that car on, but it was gorgeous.

I don't think he had a great sense of humour....

42 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

So how many offers to buy it as is where is have you received?

I agree it an an attractive car and suggest Duk doesn't realise how lucky he is.  I don't think there is many things cooler than a C3.o.

My suggestion is just tidy it up as time and $ allow, a set of ITB's and just drive it!  

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

I agree it an an attractive car and suggest Duk doesn't realise how lucky he is.  I don't think there is many things cooler than a C3.o.

My suggestion is just tidy it up as time and $ allow, a set of ITB's and just drive it!  

R Gruppe 🤔