Bosch connector to cam sensor

brian in buddina

Question for the  master mechanics:

My sensor connection behind the distributor cap has decomposed, due proximity to the exhaust manifold heat. The line goes through the connector and into the back of the distributor housing. I believe its the "hall" sensor for timing of the cam. Rather than replace the hole line back to the loom I am looking for the Bosch male 3 pin connector. The female with the wire lock is still in place, but the male end is gone and I am not sure what it looks like.  I have put a little electrical tape on the centre terminal to stop it form shorting. The car, touch wood still runs.

I have tried Bursons, no luck,  & have a call in to Auto Haus Hamilton to try to find the connector.  And of course Mr Google.

IMG_2006.thumb.JPG.74617ff748f30732f86c157e47465864.JPG

I can find them on ebay USA for $20+ US plus shipping, which makes them a pretty expensive piece of plastic by the time it arrives here.

I would be nice to be able to buy it in Australia. There is no part# on the connector. I know the Porsche PET catalogue lists a bunch of connectors, with part numbers, but its difficult to tell which one. 

It looks like the same connector on the the Flywheel timing sensor. This is the image of my newish flywheel sensor male connector end. Does anyone know if this is what my missing male connector looks like? Does anyone know the Porsche or Bosch part number?

I wonder why one end lives longer, the female of course, than the other. Must be the stress the male live under.

Thank you.

IMG_2007.thumb.JPG.9dcc7e550ed17b283a47be1ae7ab8a15.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

Edited by brian in buddina

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2020 at 19:16, brian in buddina said:

thank you @Redracn, just what I was looking for.

Looks like a couple of great suppliers.

Going thru their other Bosch connectors it looks like there is early & later variations. 

I will probably buy both the male & female ends.

Get yourself the later ones, the spring clip is redesigned so that you can simply press down on it to disconnect, instead of trying to pick at each side with a little pick or screwdriver. Makes life a lot easier. IIRC the late style female connectors will work with the old style male connectors.

thanks @Timm

I was unaware of the difference between the early & late model connectors when I bought them. So even though my female was ok, I ordered both male & female. Wasn't sure if a old male will fit a younger female. The mind boggles at the possibilities. 

If I'm industrious this avro might get in the garage to wire my new connectors up.