Owning a 3.2 Carrera vs 930

Simonk

Excellent return fire post Vas your points are well taken. As you say , it's a car that suits a certain type of person. These are special cars , in particular the early laggy ones. As a matter of fact , a mate down the road has done targa tas in a race specced '85 930 (like you,  ~400hp) and remarked the best aspect was the reliability. After each day , the other teams would be eternally about with mechanical and other issues ; he shut the door, walked away and had a couple of cold ones before rocking up next day. They are devastatingly quick on track but I wouldn't want to drive like that on our local roads! 

I would rather buy a well used car from an enthusiast than a garage queen any day. In fact I'd pay more for it.

Do you work on the car yourself?

Hi, Tazzie.

I have never needed to do all that much to them.

I will do small jobs if need be.

I have always worked on cars and race cars, so I can if I need to.

Loui at Motion Automotve looks after my car and always has.

He is the best in Vic IMO.

He is the guy that builds the engine and gear box for Rex Broadbents Tarmac car.

So, I tend to leave the work to him.

As for "return fire", I was just trying to give a fair opinion.

Any 34 year old car that can stay with Steve Porter in his 993 through the very twisty hills is awesome.

That's a compliment to you, Steve. :)

seconded on never having an oil leak or CIS trouble in the 965. some of the parts are more expensive when it comes to maintenance, but reliability itself has never been an issue

+1

Clutch, swap that turbo out and put a nice straight through exhaust on it.

That with the 5 speed trans, you will be a happy monkey.

The 965 has the added bonus of better suspension and AC.

If I had the to start from scratch I would buy a 965 turbo. :)

Anyone wondering what it costs to build an engine like mine.

It was about 20k back in 89.

To do it now would be around $30k.

You can get the same power for about $10k just doing the external mods(turbo, IC and so on)

But to do it and last this long will cost that $30k, using all the good german parts.

So, it makes it around $100k for a car like mine.

Fair bit of money, I know.

Then again, what do you pay for a man 993.

It all makes a 996 GT3 bloody good value.  :)

seconded on never having an oil leak or CIS trouble in the 965. some of the parts are more expensive when it comes to maintenance, but reliability itself has never been an issue

Oh, and the trouble starts with the CIS when people start stuffing around trying to get more fuel with big turbo's or boost.

If you want more than 420hp you will need efi.

Why anyone would wan't more power, I don't know.

But, good for them. :)

Oh, and the trouble starts with the CIS when people start stuffing around trying to get more fuel with big turbo's or boost.

If you want more than 420hp you will need efi.

Why anyone would wan't more power, I don't know.

But, good for them. :)

i think i've seen a few examples of big HP on CIS on pparts forum, but i'd bet it takes deeeeep pockets.

the 3.6 is for track, 965 street duties only.. would rather tinker with the response and suspension first. doubt i'd need more than 330-350hp on the street.

Archived