981 manual slips into reverse

Squarewater

I recently purchased a 2014 Boxster S manual with 26k on the clock. 

And I love it!

But I find i'm putting it into reverse very easily by mistake of course. I'm surprised how easy it is to do. I think the gear selector is designed for a left hand driver

Has anyone else had this experience or advice to give me

Thanks

IMG_0759.jpg

53 minutes ago, Squarewater said:

I recently purchased a 2014 Boxster S manual with 26k on the clock. 

And I love it!

But I find i'm putting it into reverse very easily by mistake of course. I'm surprised how easy it is to do. I think the gear selector is designed for a left hand driver

Has anyone else had this experience or advice to give me

Thanks

IMG_0759.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Never.....

You have to push down, across and forward to select reverse - have you driven a manual car before...???

Very harsh Stephen 😂 but, Squarewater, something doesn’t sound right here. Getting into reverse easily & by accident is almost impossible. The action required is very deliberate, my experience after owning 6 manuals is you have a shift/linkage/gate issue. 
Nice car by the way, those things are a weapon in handling terms 🤙

Well i had a problem when i first got my 996. I wasn't used to reverse being left and forward, i was stopped at the lights, put it in gear and the car started reversing. Realizing what i had done i pulled it out of gear and knocked it back into 1st, same thing, car went back. It was then i realized that i didn't have to push so hard to the left to get it across and into 1st gear. It took me some time to get used to this and no there is nothing wrong with my car, it was the operator of the car:blink:

Don't worry @Squarewater your not the only one i reckon that has done this, at least that is my explanation of what you may have done, nice car BTW:D

43 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

...It was then i realized that i didn't have to push so hard to the left to get it across and into 1st gear....

+1!

Had a bit of fun in mine just after I bought it, when making a snappy 3pt turn with traffic getting closer...

but yeah, it's just a matter of getting used to how much muscle you (don't) need to put in to it.

Enjoy the new ride!

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Don't worry @Squarewater your not the only one i reckon that has done this, at least that is my explanation of what you may have done, nice car BTW:D

39 minutes ago, np9000 said:

+1!

Had a bit of fun in mine just after I bought it, when making a snappy 3pt turn with traffic getting closer...

but yeah, it's just a matter of getting used to how much muscle you (don't) need to put in to it.

Enjoy the new ride!

I knew it:D

I have found that the reverse being forward left next to 1st is taking me a little while to adjust to.  Some times I'm not grabbing reverse when i think I have and other times I grab reverse instead of first.  I'm getting used to it and am aware it is me and not the car.  Haven't released the clutch in the wrong gear yet :D

I am getting more confident I have grabbed the one I want with time.  I also find I'm really careful over near the 5-6 gate as normally that is where reverse hides :D  Just a long term habit I need to switch over.