914-6

Merv

I really should have asked this question here:

I have been contacted by a local with a 1971 914/6 RHD who is interested in selling it.  I will know more tomorrow about the car and its origins. It looks to be in very good condition on the phots available.

A couple of quick questions.  Were there any original RHD but as I suspect, all were converted here?  If an engine conversion was done to a flat 6, was the 2.7 commonly used?

I will have more details later today. 

•  

1 hour ago, Merv said:

I really should have asked this question here:

I have been contacted by a local with a 1971 914/6 RHD who is interested in selling it.  I will know more tomorrow about the car and its origins. It looks to be in very good condition on the phots available.

A couple of quick questions.  Were there any original RHD but as I suspect, all were converted here?  If an engine conversion was done to a flat 6, was the 2.7 commonly used?

I will have more details later today. 

•  

No RHD from factory, 6 cylinder conversion would depend on the era it was swapped out.

Hi Merv,

Happy for any PMs on this.

There were 2x 914/6s converted here by Alan Hamilton back in the day as a proof of concept, there were also others converted in the UK by Canford that were said to be almost factory in the approach (but not) with the original 2.0 mag case 911 motors. Unfortunately both found the costs of final conversion brought the price close to or exceeding the 911s of the day and hence were not viable.

Over in Aus there were various places that converted them in Perth, Vic, NSW and QLD. Motors vary depending on what was available- I have seen examples of anything from 2.0 to 3.6 used.

Let us know what you have found once you make a decision on it.

Great cars but I am clearly biased :)

Cheers

Craig

No right hand drive cars produced Ex Factory as far as I know and I did do a fair bit of reading on them before purchasing one.

Most I have read about and viewed have either 2.7 or 3.0 litre transplant and in some cases like mine,a 3.6. 

Canford in the UK did RHD conversions and I know Dennis O'Keefe was doing a few here in Melbourne.

Pretty obvious thing to say,but watch out for rust!!   and Good Luck.

Thanks guys.  I have more information coming. This car has been with this multi-vehicle, collector owner since before 1998 and is reportedly complete and he also has another 'spares' 914. It has not been driven since 1999.  More details of history and current condition on the way.  Keep in touch if you are interested.

EDIT:  the car is complete and the only re-attachments are the repaired fuel tank, the side sills and the leather covered seats which need some re-trimming.  The motor will also be turned over and checked.  Yes, the rear arches are sightly rolled to accommodate the wheels' extra width. Not those 'nasty' expand arches.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had a look at this car yesterday, decided to pass on it as its too big a project for me. 

Would be a cool project for the right person.

if anyone is interested send me a message, as I have lots of photos. I'm unable to post any photos here as I have run out of PFA memory.