STUTT’FEST 2022

Skidmarks

OK people!

We’ll shortly be calling last drinks on the track part of the day.

There’ll be some tasty cars to see skidding around.  We’ll publish a list if we can.   

However, let’s not forget that this bright idea started with the view to showcasing the 99-2010 GT3’s and that’s still the plan.

Those that put their hands up, can they PM Hugh and confirm you’re still in.

Also, those that are doing the track part, start thinking about getting your car ready.  Primarily the stopping and turning bits.  The talented right foot soon starts to look a little second hand when the pedal goes long and the tyres say “I’m outa here”.

As for apparel, in line with the no shoes, no shirt no service philosophy, no lid (bike helmets don’t count!), no long sleeves and pants, no track time.  More on that soon and we’re not going all Nanny State here but I just want all you lunatics to be safe and as protected as possible if things go pear shaped.

The skid pan will also be operational so no need for that gear there but it is essential that when doing that killer handbrake turn and giving it some Big Right Foot, there is smoking the bags and torturing the drive shafts - And the arm must exit the drivers window with rapid fist pumps accompanied by a few sold “f@rk yeah’s”.

Otherwise you’re simply not trying ...

An extract of the list so far;

981 Boxster S

996 GT3 RS (white & blue)

996.2gt3

2000 996.1 GT3 Touring Arctic Silver

2003 996 Cup Yellow

991 Cup Car 2015 White or 996 Cup Car 2004 Orange

1970something IROC or 1978 928

2004 996.2 GT3 white

996 2 GT3 Guards Red Touring

991.2 GT3, 2018, Silver

Cayman R, 2018, Black

996 Turbo, 2001, Guards red.

996 Turbo 2003 Black 6 spd

1979 SC

911 1984 Blue

2000 Black Boxster S

Black - Either 79 SC or 09 911 or Both

Cayman 718 GTS 2018 White

996 Cup, 996GT3,

Cayman,2014,White

2004 996.2 GT3 Speed Yellow

GT3 2007 Speed Yellow

996.1 GT3 clubsport, speed yellow

2010 GT3 White

Boxster, 2009, Black

Silver 87 Targa

2015 991 GT3

73 RSR Tribute in Signal Orange

964rs 1992 blaaaack

911 SC , 1980. Silver

2017 Cayman S Turbo - Miami Blue

911T 996 2002 SIlver

1986 3.2 carrera

996 C2 2004 Midnight Blue

911 Carrera 1989 Blue

2015 CAYMAN GTS

You can add to that list 

IROC - Orange

IROC - puce 

2007 RS, - orange

2010 RS  - grey

2004 911 RSR - Red

13 minutes ago, DJM said:

Cool collection

My 50th birthday is 5 days beforehand........it would be rude if my family didn’t buy me a GT3, wouldn’t it?

Absolutely.  See you there with it!

6 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

How do you sign up?

Arne, 

Hugh put a form up its quite a few pages back and Im not sure how to highlight it for you however here is the link...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSen7hz1pTs2Lt9XGnQVwYtDTm70UNvE63uvtfFbukHbZ7C7ZQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

3 hours ago, hugh said:

Getting some seat time in either 997 GT3 RS would be a great way to pop your GT cherry. You won’t look back. ;)

I'm sure it would, though I'm thinking it would be a sure way to annoy the shit out of me, coz I'll never be able to own one! 😁

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Happy to pick u up Friday morning from the airport and deliver you to your drive (organised by you 🙂 ) or occupy my passenger seat........

Thanks Pete much appreciated. 50/50 at this stage with work losing a contract 🙄

2 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

Their is a few of us in that boat. I think it could be a case of the blind leading the blind in the first session!

You’ll have a ball

I’m thinking we may have a session at the start of the day where someone who knows the track can do a walk around with those that haven’t been as well as a refresher for those that have.

Would that be a useful part of the day?

36 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

You’ll have a ball

I’m thinking we may have a session at the start of the day where someone who knows the track can do a walk around with those that haven’t been as well as a refresher for those that have.

I'd like the opportunity to do a track walk if it is on offer.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but I also saw there is a Test and Tune in the calendar on the day before.

https://wintonraceway.com.au/events/2021-01/

I think I'm gonna go cut a few laps. Expecting a shit show though based off my past experience of open test days at other tracks 🤣

5 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

You’ll have a ball

Another option could be a getting any drivers with experience to jump in with any first timers for their first session? 

Happy to do both as well, whatever suits and helps with easing everyone into the day. 

On 15/11/2020 at 15:07, Skidmarks said:

You’ll have a ball

I did a track walk at PI.  Dean Canto was the host as another pro driver drove throuh the corner a few times while we watched on.  Dean explained the braking points, lines etc.  Fantastic way to learn a new track.

We have loads of time in the day so a track walk could be one for everyone.  Just the right way to allow the coffee and bacon and egg buns to make their way through the system before the action starts.   And the walk could be for everyone including those not venturing onto the track.

Perhaps an open forum format and those with some experience of the track could lead the discussion.

There will be those that will be far more scientific in relation to getting the best out of Winton than me as my basic rules for any track are:-

1. out lap

2. set track record

3.  in lap

4. find appropriate company with which to “celebrate”.  May be tricky in Benalla ...

I nail 1 and 3 every time.  2 not so much any more.  4 ... ?  A laudable goal tempered by reality and a strong bond with my balance sheet and love of my family ...

Other than that:- 

1. brake late, hard initial pedal pressure and bleed off

2. Turn in

3. Say hello to the apex, maintain mid corner speed

4. Look forward at all times

5. As soon as you can, get the right foot to the firewall 

... and repeat ...

Simple!

I also suggest we all brush up on our excuse lines about why any particular lap didn’t yield the optimum outcome.

Examples:-

1. Pressures weren’t right 

2. Track hadn’t rubbered up

3. Too much/little front/rear bar

4. Not enough/too much compression/rebound on the fronts/rears, wrong spring rates

5. Ratios not right

6. Wrong compound

7. Pads and rotors not matched to optimise brake temp

8. Not enough wing on the back

9.  Not enough camber on the front

10. Was on a flyer but couldn’t  get a clean lap 

11  ... and the one that always works best for me - Rohan baulked me.  Again. When I was lapping him.  Again.

Please note, the first 9 can be used by anyone at any time as even if your car doesn’t have any of the features that relate to the excuse - people will appreciate the fact that notwithstanding this, you respect them enough to bullshit them.

Never, ever say “it was me”. It’ll get you ejected from the venue. 

Have a good day.