STUTT’FEST 2022

Skidmarks

2 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

...people will appreciate the fact that notwithstanding this, you respect them enough to bullshit them.

Never, ever say “it was me”. It’ll get you ejected from the venue. 

Will start practising this every day from now.  This will ensure my delivery sounds convincing by C & C.

On 15/11/2020 at 15:43, rego said:

I'd like the opportunity to do a track walk if it is on offer.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but I also saw there is a Test and Tune in the calendar on the day before.

https://wintonraceway.com.au/events/2021-01/

I think I'm gonna go cut a few laps. Expecting a shit show though based off my past experience of open test days at other tracks 🤣

Test and tune days are really well run at Winton.  I've done a heap there and you get a great mix of cars and I've always found the other drivers a good bunch.  Cars are grouped by type so speeds are well matched too.  Attendances can be really variable,  from just a few cars to maybe 10 to 12 in each group.  You'll find alot of the drivers are on and off track a bit too as they tweak their set ups etc during the day!

On 21/11/2020 at 20:28, lazydave said:

Test and tune days are really well run at Winton.  I've done a heap there and you get a great mix of cars and I've always found the other drivers a good bunch.  Cars are grouped by type so speeds are well matched too.  Attendances can be really variable,  from just a few cars to maybe 10 to 12 in each group.  You'll find alot of the drivers are on and off track a bit too as they tweak their set ups etc during the day!

Thanks mate, that is great to know!

There will be those that will cut more than a few laps on the day.  I will be one as I’m renowned for simply driving until the fuel/brakes/tyres give out.

Once at a test at QR, my engineer called me in.  After 3-4 laps more the increasing stridency of his demands got so annoying I pulled the radio lead out of my helmet. Not to be deterred, he jumped the pit wall and simply stood in he middle of the track to block me.  Didn’t look happy.  Maybe it was that I was (inadvertently of course) taking miles off the tyres that we’d decided to use in the 1 race ... who knows.

Anyway, make sure you have enough rubber on your car as you’ll have to drive home on them.

Check your rotors and pads for material and thickness.  If your rotors are close, especially at the front, think about changing them as the heat will cause cracking.  Brake fluid - get it changed to race fluid.  No one needs a long pedal into turn 1 ...

As for fuel, I’ve arranged for a 1000 litres of 98 and 1000 litres of 102 to be on hand.  All Unleaded and in 25 litre drums.  It’s a “just in case” you get caught short.  Not forced to buy it. There will also be fuel at Winton and in Benalla.

Our good friends at Panta Fuels (declared interest - they help Rohan and I out for fuel when we race) will be there.  It’s good stuff and shipped direct from Europe rather than being mixed here and then drummed up like some others.  It’s as safe as houses.

The last time I was at Winton we had 40 litres left over and the 07 RS was a little low so I fueled up with the 102 race juice.  Made a real difference in torque and throttle response.  Just what you need for the drive home down the Hume!  Let’s just say I wasn’t using constant throttle at times ...!

More to come ...

On 28/11/2020 at 18:44, lazydave said:

Out of interest, I assume the 102 fuel will only benefit cars designed/tuned to run on that fuel, or am I wrong?  Shaping up a a great day!  

No, I used to run my (turbo) road car on 100 octane aviation fuel for track days back in the late 90’s, there’s a noticeable difference even on a very simple car.

Apparently the smell from the exhaust is quite interesting as well 😂

I’d be quite happy with a tankful of 102, just for shits n giggles.

I am just starting to put my sights on January now, so need to start getting serious about this. 

Is it fair to say most people are getting accomodation in nearby Benalla? If so what has the best "car friendly" accomodations?

Cheers

On 28/11/2020 at 18:44, DavidW•GT3• said:

Out of interest, I assume the 102 fuel will only benefit cars designed/tuned to run on that fuel, or am I wrong?  Shaping up a a great day!  

Not necessarily.  Some will benefit more than others.  Certainly won’t hurt!  

On 29/11/2020 at 20:05, Mike-S said:

No, I used to run my (turbo) road car on 100 octane aviation fuel for track days back in the late 90’s, there’s a noticeable difference even on a very simple car.

Apparently the smell from the exhaust is quite interesting as well 😂

I’d be quite happy with a tankful of 102, just for shits n giggles.

Shits and giggles is what the day is all about.

I used to run Elf Atmo Max back when I was racing GT’s. Now that stuff smelled.  The guys behind me always complained.  I told them the solution was easy.  Pass me!  🤑

On 03/12/2020 at 14:09, RwGreeny said:

Glider city is a good option

They also have a deal with Winton so mention that you’re there and you might get a better rate.

Nice effort from the islanders.  See if you can coax one or two into coming otherwise, looking forward to seeing you Mr Two Heads.

Speaking is RSR’s, ours won’t be in attendance unfortunately.  We did a leak down and one was down about 30% so thinking it might just be a sticky ring, we took it for a run at the Island. All seemed well as Rohan did some laps.   Then I got in it ... 3 laps in and about to put in a flyer ... smoke.  Lots.  Not from the exhaust thank goodness.  Got it in and it’s spewing more oil out of the rear main than the Exxon Valdez.  Back onto the trailer.  

Back at Autoart, Michael Garner pulls it down and I get the “you want the good news or the bad news?” call.  I always start with the bad news.  Crack right across the top of the piston.  Seems that the guy who sold it to the guy I bought it from wasn’t exactly telling the truth about how many hours the engine had done ... some talk of 4 hours but on any view, it was 24 at least. It was said to have had a rebuild after coming fourth in the 24 hour race at Dubai but maybe they just forgot.

The good news?  “It didn’t blow up”.  Man, it was close.  

Anyway, big tick for the guy that sold it to us.  Came to the party big time on adjusting the price.  Without being asked.  He heard what happened and reached out. Not his fault but shows massive character. 

So we sent 2 sample pistons off to the US to get some custom copies made as we couldn’t source them from Europe.  Those German funsters had done some funky shit back in the day so we had to find someone to replicate.  

Such fun.  We sent The first 2 over (a left and a right) and the lovelies at FedEx managed to lose them so we have to send another 2 ...   They won’t be back in time.

Anyway, enough about all that, we still have a cracking field of cars coming along.  I hope Hugh can publish a list here.

And, don’t think you can’t come for a skid on the track.  There’s always room for more reprobates but get in fast as I have to lock in catering numbers for the BBQ.

I don’t know about you but right now I get the sense that we’re all just counting the days before we fall across the finish line next week and we all enjoy some down time with our friends and our families.  I hope that the event helps in being a bit of a reset for us all.

Most of all, I look forward to meeting you all, talking meaningless shit about cars and not thinking about anything but the day.

Like I said, a reset.

UPDATE

First, the important stuff - I've estimated that each car will have driver and hanger on/mate.  Then added 20.  Hugh will send out another mail seeking info on how many bodies will be associated with your car.

Why is this important?  Well, it will inform decisions on volume of meat, salads and beer/wine.  See - important.

Also, the cafeteria near the main pits will be open all day for food and drinks.  Still trying to work out if the budget will cover or strecth to cover some of this but for the moment assume you're on user pays.

I've signed the track hire agreement organised the permit so you'd better all show!

Edgy, was it you that had the Dresden spec BBQ to bring otherwise there are BBQ's there I think but prefer to avoid just in case the last user applied carby cleaner to prepare the surface for the next user ...?

Remember, this is still also about showcasing the GT3 so please bring what you said you would and we'll get the happy snaps done early so the rest of the day can be devoted to burning hydrocarbons and getting track rubber on your cars.

Speaking of happy snaps, I'm also thinking we should get a few pics of drivers doing a Butt Shot or Gratuitous Pic - to rival the postings of Raven save that it has to be the car owner holding the pose.  Just thinkin out loud here guys but it's time to, erm, express yourselves ...

I've also spoken with Winton to try and get a special rate at the Wangaratta Quest and will share the code for booking purposes when I get it.

Finally - get your car looked at before the event.  As many of those who take care of our cars will be on a break, it might mean you try and get that attended to at the last minute which will no doubt thrill your workshop to bits.

More to come ...

36 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Edgy, was it you that had the Dresden spec BBQ to bring otherwise there are BBQ's there I think but prefer to avoid just in case the last user applied carby cleaner to prepare the surface for the next user ...?

Yes sir! 

MY Only challenge would be getting it there from Sydney behind a GT3RS 😂 

BUT I have friends... and as I mentioned at the start of the thread, happy to come and help with cooking/coordinating the BBQ, and/or equipment... but knowing the details helps with those decisions, if you want to have a detailed chat about it, no problems, either you or @hugh feel free to "slide into my DM's" as the kids say! 

Well I’ve had FOMO reading this thread but with a recent addition to the family it’s going to be ROMO (r = reality) for me this year. I’m sure it will be a great day for all. Sounds like this event might gain some traction and if so I’d love to come across in 2022.

1 minute ago, edgy said:

Yes sir! 

MY Only challenge would be getting it there from Sydney behind a GT3RS 😂 

BUT I have friends... and as I mentioned at the start of the thread, happy to come and help with cooking/coordinating the BBQ, and/or equipment... but knowing the details helps with those decisions, if you want to have a detailed chat about it, no problems, either you or @hugh feel free to "slide into my DM's" as the kids say! 

@edgy come on mate what’s the towing capacity of a 6 RS? If the yanks can tow their wheels and tyres to the track...

Would certainly be great content for “the ‘gram” 😂